The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society - Fighting Blood Cancers
7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 15, 2010 8:04 PM by alainajacobs RSS

EOT Hair Loss?

loa337 Registered Users
Currently Being Moderated

It's been a long time since I have needed to post a question!

My son (6 y/o) is at the end of LTM for ALL. His last treatment is this month. This morning I noticed he had some loose hair on top and then I started combing it. His hair is coming out all over in handfulls - like it did when he first lost it during intensification. Has this happened to anyone else?

I have a call into the doctor but I am a "little" concerned.

Thanks for listening and being here for me to return to after a long time!

Julianne

• Re: EOT Hair Loss?
    Elke'smom Registered Users

Julianne,

my daughter has experienced sporadic hair loss throughout LTM thus far.  She is especially sensitive to the chemo in this way -- she had no hair at all from Induction through the beginning of LTM.  Our drs says it is not uncommon for children to experience some hair loss in LTM, especially at times when the hair is growing more quickly (ie hot weather).  I wouldn't worry about it.  I know a number of other children aside from my daughter who also experienced this in LTM.

HTH

Ann

norrim04 Registered Users

Julianne, this is totally unscientific, but Joey lost his hair in patches once during LTM and someone here asked if we had had his hair cut prior to his monthly vincristine. Apparently, vincristine can interfere with the hair growth cycle which can make it fall out. I hope that makes sense...

Margaret

skylersmom Registered Users

Julianne,

My daughter was six when diagnosed with Leukemia ALL.  Her hair was completely out for the first year.  A few months into LTM she started growing it back and then BAM it fell out again.  It did this about four times during the course of LTM.  She just finished treatment on July 8th and shortly after it fell out again.  This is just how are kids react to the chemotherapy and the doctors say it has no bearing on thier treatment.  It was very difficult on my daughter being a girl and getting made fun of in first, second and now third grade.  She was diagnosed at the end of kindergarten so none of those classmates saw her sick as she was home schooled for the end of kindergarten and part of first grade.

It sucks that it is the EOT and his hair comes out again now.  The doctors say that happens to lots of kids.  BTW, CONGRATS on EOT......

Pam

Nikosmom Registered Users

I have heard this so many times....even children who avoided alot of hair loss during treatment, they made it to LTM and their hair fell out...Who knows why it happens, just wanted

to let you know that I have heard about this many many times.

Ruth

bravegirl Registered Users

Julianne,

My daughter continued to loose hair throughout the LTM. In fact, by the last month, her hair were so thin that we could easily see the bald head. It was specially hard on her, but she braved it through. The good news is that now that she is in OT, she is getting her hair back nice and thick. Hope that helps.

loa337 Registered Users

Thank you so much for your advice. It just really threw me for a loop - I didn't expect it at all.

He may not end up losing all of it but it will be so thin I might just shave it. In my mind I didn't picture him being bald at his EOT Party in 2 weeks.

You guys are the best!

Julianne

alainajacobs Registered Users

My son is 7 years old and at the end of LTM(OT on Nov. 3rd).  He has very thin hair and I can see his scalp.  So we're going through the same thing and it is perfectly normal.  This is the third time he has lost his hair, can't wait till OT!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend