The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society - Fighting Blood Cancers
5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 10, 2009 5:21 PM by Hilvousa RSS

Extremely worried

Hilvousa Registered Users
Currently Being Moderated

I just got my daughter's blood test results and there was written that a small part of lymphocytes are reactive and singular myelocytes are seen. Sounds horrible! I am so scared that she has already relapsed. Do you have any idea what this means? Weekend is coming and I cannot reach the Onc now.

• Re: Extremely worried
    Alex'sMom Registered Users

There have been a few times that Alex's reports showed myelocytes (3 - 5). The first time I saw that on the report I instantly panicked and asked what it was. The myelocytes fight infection - not generally seen in blood samples but will occasionally pop up when there is an infection. Our onc. wasn't worried and sure enough the next week there were none to be found. Try not to panic and contact your doctor on Monday to have them clarify.

Gina

StephanieJ Registered Users

Scott (10 at diagnosis with t-cell) has had so many occasions when immature cells were seen in the peripheral blood. Its worrying, but it certainly happens and is perfectly normal from time to time.

teamdonavynn Registered Users

I wouldn't think that a singular myelocyte would be a problem as w/ ALL (I'm assuming your daughter has AML) they don't worry unless there is more than 5% blasts in the peripheral blood.  As far as reactive lymphocytes - that means just that, the lymphocytes are reacting to something (possibly a virus) and attacking it.  That is nothing to be worried about as they should be reacting to stuff to help keep your kiddo healthy.    I graduate from nursing school in December and my father is a Medical Lab Tech so I know a little bit about some of the odditites that can be seen on a CBC.  So for now I'd say try to take a deep breath.  I hope all is well for her.  Make sure you let us know when you find out, but from what you've said, nothing sounds alarming to me.  Hope that helps.

aspeidel Registered Users

Aidan has had this once before and sure enough the next blood test came back normal.  We too were told that "reactive" generally refers to some wbcs that are there fighting an infection and though they'll watch it, that is generally what it is.  Positive thoughts and keep us posted!

Hilvousa Registered Users

Thank you for your comforting words. You were right there was no reason to worry. We will have next bone marrow biopsy within two weeks. Hopefully there will not be any blasts.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...