The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society - Fighting Blood Cancers
2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 3, 2012 8:43 PM by Dela, Adult "ALL" Survivor RSS

Disgarding of medications

jordy922 Registered Users
Currently Being Moderated

Its been a while since I've been on here.  Brief history - in October of 2007 at the age of 25 I was diagnosed with diffused large B cell lymphoma.  I had 6 rounds of RCHOP and was in remission for 3 years and then was diagnosed again with the same thing.  I had 3 rounds of RICE, a stem cell transplant and radiation.  I finished treatment in Dec. and have been in remission for a year now.

Both times I had cancer I had trouble parting with the medications I had taken during treatment.  They are just sitting in a bag under my bathroom sink. Even though I can't stand to think about the reasons I had to take them etc I still had/have a hard time getting rid of them.  Anyone else feel this way?

I know it sounds weird because I should want to burn everything that had to do with my cancer but its harder than that.  I also still have all my scarves.......

• Re: Disgarding of medications
    Tex Registered Users

Hi Jordy,

It has been awhile.  Glad to know you're doing well.

I didn't have an emotional issue with the meds.  I figured there was no reason to spend money on new ones, should I have to go back on them.  But they weren't my safety blanket or such.  My safety blanket was frequent doctor visits until I got sick and tired of them.  Then it was easier to let go and see the doc less frequently.

I think the time will come where you'll just get sick and tired of them sooner than later.  But do be aware those things have helped keep you alive over the past few years and it only makes sense that you might be apprehensive about letting them go.

It will pass.  Just be sure of two things.  You don't need expired meds, you don't want to use those if there was ever another need, which there won't be.  Also, please dispose of them in a responsible manner.  Turns out meds flushed down the toilet are giving us hermaphroditic fish and such.  When you're ready, e-mail me and I'll send you what they gave me for guideline.  Or find your own...I'm just sayin'...

Really good to know you're doing well.

Blessings

• Re: Disgarding of medications
    Dela, Adult "ALL" Survivor Registered Users

Hi, Jordy -

Thank you for sharing about not wanting to discard your meds.  For me, I am not ready emotionally to release them.  I completed my maintenance almost a year ago, and I still get nervous thinking that if I get rid of them, the cancer will come back.  They were such warriors against the "ALL" and if the warriors aren't in the house, then the monsters might come back.

I know, as I work through these feelings, the time will come.  Or maybe it won't.  They are locked up with all my meds, and clearly labelled so nobody can accidentally take them.

Dela.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...