The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society - Fighting Blood Cancers
1 Reply Latest reply: Jun 14, 2012 9:14 AM by Elke'smom RSS

My daughter is going into her third year off treatment for ALL and needs a bone density scan?

speter21 Registered Users
Currently Being Moderated

My daughter is going into her third year off treatment for ALL.  She needs to have a bone density scan.  Has anyone else had to do this and is it routine to get a baseline after 2 years off treatment?

• Re: My daughter is going into her third year off treatment for ALL and needs a bone density scan?
    Elke'smom Registered Users
    Currently Being Moderated

I can't speak to whether it is routine to get a baseline off treatment, but I do think a DEXA scan is a good thing to have done at some point.  My daughter has had two, one on treatment and one off.  The one she had done during treatment was because a X-ray after a broken leg showed on its face that her bone density was strikingly reduced, and indeed, her DEXA scan showed that she was severely osteoporotic.  She remains so off treatment (although we haven't had a scan done since last August, when she was 6 months off treatment).  Long time steroid use greatly affects bone density.   The scan will show whether your daughter should be taking supplements and how at risk she is for breaking bones, and it is a simple and fast procedure.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend