The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society - Fighting Blood Cancers
10 Replies Latest reply: Jun 18, 2012 11:11 AM by kimmeebee RSS

URGENT question for my sister regarding her 7 yr old!

momofwy Registered Users
Currently Being Moderated

my sisters's son has had a on/off fever for 8 days.  he has not been himself.  he is 7.  they took him to urgent care while on vacation and they said his CBC showed anemia.  Nothing else noted on his CBC.  the dr said he may need tests to rule out cancer but they are out of town on vacation so have to wait until they get back.  what tests would they order?  can you have a blood cancer with normal CBC besides anemia?  They also did chest xray which was normal. He is not prone to fevers, but in past month he has had fever for almost 3 weeks.  First time it went away and then came back few weeks later. As far as I know no bruising or petechia. 

• Re: URGENT question for my sister regarding her 7 yr old!
    momofwy Registered Users

when i say that he has had a fever for 3 weeks this month i mean that at the beginning of the month he missed school for almost a week b/c he had a fever and no other symptoms.  then he seemed to get better and then had a fever again right before vacation and still has one off/on now.  His fever will be gone, then spike before bed.  it has been up to 103.  he will act normal, then suddenly spike a fever and get really fatigued.  he never naps and he actually slept at the beach for over 3 hours one day on vacation.

kimmeebee Registered Users

There has been a virus going around that lasts for weeks and is mostly characterized by a fever that spikes, disappears and then returns. My nephew missed over a week of school because of it and I know of several other children. Of course it is accompanied (at least at first) by various cold symptoms. CBC's come back mostly normal and therefore all you can really do is treat the fever and other symptoms with OTC meds.

My daughter (diagnosed right at age 3 with acute lymphoblastic leukemia) had an unexplained fever that lasted several days and was more spikey than low-grade, was lethargic and had petichiae and purpura (bruising) in the three weeks leading up to diagnosis. Her CBC showed dangerously low platelets (14 instead of 150-250 normal range), low hemoglobin (don't recall exactly but it must have been under 7 or they wouldn't have given her the blood transfusion when she was admitted) and high WBC (not incredibly high, if I recall. It was the platelet count that was the big red flag).

Hope that is somewhat helpful to you. From the time I realized something was very wrong (the bruising was what sent us to the pediatrician) it took only 12 hours to get a diagnosis, so I don't have experience with the wait-and-see approach.

abslater Registered Users

Hi - sorry that your nephew is going though this - hopefully, it's just a virus ...but I would continue to pursue more information. My daughter had normal CBC except anemia, and they thought it was an auto-immune disorder - until Leukemia was diagnosed. Other symptoms, extreme fatigue, night sweats, fever ....my daughter did not have any brusing or petechia. But fatigue was extreme. They may want to check for Mono? Or other things that they can rule out ....if they suspect more, they would do a bone marrow aspiration - but hopefully his parents will get home soon to help investigate this more. How low was his HGB? Best of luck, hoping its not cancer of any kind b

momofwy Registered Users

Thank you for your response.  His RBC were low, but not THAT low.  The doc said in range that could be treated w/ flintstone vitamin...however he's been taking flintstone vits everyday for a while??  They did check for mono because he was around a friend of ours who had mono a month and a half ago.  His mono spot was negative.  How accurate is that test?  i thought not that accurate but my sister asked doc and he said VERY accurate.  I am getting worried.  He does have asthma and did recently start a new drug (singular and something else)? 

MomofNicholas Registered Users

My son had normal (though on the low end of normal) platelets and white blood cells just slightly low with very severe anemia (hemoglobin 4.3).  They found the anemia on a Wednesday and no evidence of cancer, then retested Monday (another CBC with manual differential) and found leukemic blasts that time.  He had no enlarged lymph nodes nor enlarged spleen or liver. No night sweats or unexplained fever (I say unexplained because he was sick with parainfluenza at diagnosis).  Sorry, not sure about the mono test. 

Puddintate Registered Users

Hello,

I too am sorry that your nephew is going through this situation.

My daughter (9 years old at diagnosis...10 years old now), had on-and-off fevers for over a month before blood tests were ordered that showed high white blood cells, low red blood cells and low platelets.  She did not have any bruising or petechia.  She did have one night of night sweats, which prompted me to demand a blood test from her pediatrician.  She was overly tired the month before her diagnosis and she was very fatigued in general. 

I am hoping it is just a virus.  I'm also hoping that they are heading home early to get to their local hospital.  A bone marrow biopsy will be the way to rule-out Leukemia, which is hopefully is not.

Best of luck to you all!

Annieo Registered Users

My son actually had symptoms for 4 months before diagnosis.  Part of what took so long to get the diagnosis were his almost normal blood counts.  The day before he was diagnosed he had only slightly elevated white blood cells, completely normal platelets and slightly low hemoglobin.  His other symptoms included frequent illnesses, low grade fevers, night sweats and joint pain,  It was the joint pain that sent us to urgent care (where they did a CBC--complete blood count) and then to the ER.  When they couldn't tell me what was wrong in the ER I asked specifically that they look for leukemia.  The equipment at the hospital was more sophisticated than at urgent care.  When they did the CBC there, they found that his white blood cells were all misshapen.  He was admitted that night and diagnosed with a bone marrow biopsy the next day.

Please tell your sister to continue to pursue this.  Hoping it's something simple!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend