The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society - Fighting Blood Cancers
24 Replies Latest reply: Jun 5, 2012 3:57 AM by porciniak RSS

What to do, when you're considered "cured"

VendettaSRB Registered Users
Currently Being Moderated

I bumped up onto this interesting article online, so I thought I share it with you.

I am not even on a half treatment for ALL(I'm 17 btw). I am only finishing a 6 month hard one in about a month, but I really really want to think about "what after", even though, the "after" isn't that sure.

http://crazysexylife.com/2011/survivor-tips/

I just find it interesting how I really am acting like this now.

If I manage to struggle from this cancer monster, I will sure as hell try some of these stuff(even though I act like this even now )

• Re: What to do, when you're considered "cured"
    pamsouth Registered Users

Vend

Thanks for sharing the article.  I found it to be refreshing.

PamSouth

Tex Registered Users

Interesting but definitely written from a girl's POV.  A lot of this was me before AML and some of it came in.  But there is so much more than the 10 lessons she wrote down.

Someday, I'm going to write my own book.  It's actually started, I'm just not ready to finish it, yet.

But some good ideas.  The implication they somehow help you to beat cancer is kind of "iffy."  The help you withstand the treatment but I don't think they actually have anything to do with healing.

Thanks

porciniak Registered Users

Tex wrote:

The implication they somehow help you to beat cancer is kind of "iffy."  The help you withstand the treatment but I don't think they actually have anything to do with healing.

I had to read it a second time to find the reference   On the first read that statement "and then they all beat cancer" was a flyby!  Duh, of course I suspect she was not given the opportunity to talk with those who were not beating it -

VendettaSRB wrote:

I just find it interesting how I really am acting like this now.

Good article and you picked up on the fallacy of the title.  I contend that most of us learn these lessons and our behavior changes almost immediately. 

Please view Randy Pausch's Last Lecture, while it's not a survivors story it's very inspirational! 

canusa Registered Users

i'm glad you posted this, Vendetta express yourself!!!

to be honest, i think i have learned just as much from those who have not survived--and thanks for reminding us of this, dj.

there is another discussion online right now about "warriors" & "fighters" vs "survivors" & those who are simply "living" or "dealing" with cancer.  professionally, i can't judge what is right or wrong; i'll support whatever works for that patient & family.  that's one reason why i like Tex's concept of determination--it's a synthesis of what many consider to be opposing arguments.

motivation is complex--i am constantly amazed by what people tell me.  one size definitely does not fit all.

(btw Tex, why wait to publish?  yes, you will have so much more to write but your life so far is pretty amazing    and much, much  better than the other "my life so far" that's out there...)

sending prayers & positive thoughts to all in this journey

take care & love life,

lynne

Tex Registered Users

Wow, thanks for the nice words, Lynne.  I want to get the book right.  And I have no celebrity so I don't think anyone wants to read my "life so far."  I lived it and it seems kind of boring to me.  But thanks for the encouragement.  How'd you know I needed an uplift today?

Wow   so good to see your post Lynne Thought of you when handling a 4 ft Inuksuk just the other day !  Jade, of course, and threaded with rods so the 'arms' can be repositioned.  I treasure the little one I received.

Would be interesting to read the discussion you mentioned for I've come to look askew at always the 'battle' analogies; though I do feel like they are apt so often; but, we seldom talk about the r&r needed by even the most stalwart soldiers.  My fathers WWII service included R&R in Australia, sorely needed and much remembered.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...