The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society - Fighting Blood Cancers
4 Replies Latest reply: May 7, 2012 4:09 AM by Bergenbags RSS

Mouth sores???

ellesmom Registered Users
Currently Being Moderated

Bradeigh (4), is six days out from her second Intermediate Dose MTX 24-hour infusion. She cleared quickly and was home early on day four.  Today she woke up with several mouth sores and is refusing to eat and complaining of pain.  We got magic mouthwash from the onco but she spits it out.  Is there anything else we can ask the pharmacy for to help with the sores?

This is Bradeigh's first real issue and we feel blessed, but hate that her mouth hurts so bad right now.

• Re: Mouth sores???
    Mom2PrincessJ Registered Users

Jenna  had mouth  sores after  her  second treatment,  too. She used Magic Mouthwash after  that treatment, but then her onc treated her with glutamine with her additional MTX. After Jenna was finished with the treatments I learned that some oncs feel that  treatment with glutamine is not a good thing. So, you might ask your onc about it and see their thoughs. For  what it is worth, Jenna never got another mouth sore after starting glutamine.

Bergenbags Registered Users

Our dentist specializes in oncology mouth care. He talked with me right after diagnoses about preventing sores from the get go.  Eli has done great warding off the few mtx sores that started to form.. But would quickly vanish.

He has him rinse with unflavored Closys mouthwash...3-4 times a day. You can buy at walgreens, or online. Do not add the mint flavoring that comes in the package. We also bought special toothpaste..".MI paste" in vanilla. Avoid toothpaste with strong flavorings, sodium lauryl sulfates, alcohol, and dyes...Eli never had a sore get bad with the daily use of Closys rinse. This is still the oral care routine i use with him even in LTM.

tcell_all Registered Users

Search for glutamine discussions.  Glutamine has worked wonder for our son -- practically zero mouth sores issues thus far.  The sores popped up  2 or 3 times, but that was because we became lax with glutamine.  As soon as we resumed glutamine, the sores would disappear within a day or two.

Bergenbags Registered Users

Glutamine is great, and also helped us with other GI tract issues too ...but it did not work with Eli when he was on high dose MTX.  He ended up in ER after every MTX dose with fever and feeling really crummy...this finally stopped when I discontinued giving glutamine after reading a post here  - the pharmacist at SJ said they can not be given together.....It makes the MTX more toxic.  Just something to watch for.

My MIL had mouth sores from breast cancer treatment - and the Closys also helped heal her up quickly.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...