The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society - Fighting Blood Cancers
6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 16, 2012 11:50 PM by ftltrish RSS

Weird food cravings?

ellesmom Registered Users
Currently Being Moderated

So, I found a thread similar to this but it was super old, so I figure I'd start it again for us newer parents.  My hubby and I say to survive this journey with both of our CK's, we have to have humor.  Elle didn't eat too weird of stuff during her intial Induction, but Bradeigh has already gotten started on really odd stuff (Day three).

She's been eating:

cheetos

cheese sticks dipped in syrup

pickles dipped in ketchup

imitation crab meat dipped in soy sauce.

Ick, ick...and for good measure, sides of plain butter.

As long as she's eating, I'm happy though.

• Re: Weird food cravings?
    MomofNicholas Registered Users

Oh yes!  My son didn't start with the weird cravings until 2-3 weeks in.  Cheetos were big with my son as well.  We have the saddest video of him slowly eating Cheetos with his swollen face on Day 29 ... :(  Once he was dipping mango into ketchup!  Ewwww! I posted that on Facebook and many people got a kick out of it and were glad to see us laughing. :D  And yes, he did eat some plain butter.  To this day he still likes to dip things into syrup, like sausage.

gspann Registered Users

I remember when our daughter finished induction, was blown up from steroids and we snuck into Target at 8am figuring I could get out and avoid any crowds.  Neve also wasn't walking - she was almost 5 - but her legs hurt, so I had her in a jogger stroller that she was too big for.  So picture, bloated cranky child, in pjs or sweats, in a stroller crying and eating cheese doodles all at 8 am.  I could feel the judging eyes piercing me all around. Ironically, it was unfortunate that she still had her hair at the time, because all I could think was at least if she were bald people would know she was sick.... Yep, I don't think twice about what I see parents giving their kids anymore, easier to do what you can to keep them happy than fight over food, and who knows what someone else is dealing with.  I also remember keeping bags with 5 wendys cheeseburgers in the fridge during steroid week so I could get up and heat one up at 3 in the morning when she would be crying about how hungry she was, and adamant about the preferred food of the week (or day). 

mommylion Registered Users

Oh boy, what is it with the butter? When Dana was on steroids during induction, she would sit and eat butter right from the container with a spoon. She also ate edamame (soybeans), of all things, and pasta with grated parmesan cheese. When my mom was taking care of her one day she caught Dana (then age 2-1/2), on video stuffing spaghetti into her huge bloated face with both hands and yelling for more. A couple of months ago I found the video on our computer and sat there and watched it and laughed and cried. The doctors told us that when they are on the steroids they literally think they're starving to death. Dana got so fat during induction that when she sat on the floor she couldn't get up, and she couldn't climb the stairs. She slimmed down, eventually.

harrisms Registered Users

For Emma, it was bacon and cheese.  She stopped saying "Good morning" when she woke up--just said, "Cheese."  And popcorn with loads of real butter.  Anything full of salt and fat--that was the winning combination during induction.

ftltrish Registered Users

Our daughter went through crazy cravings of it too, but the main theme was CHEESE and BUTTER.   A few of them were mozzarella cheese by the bowlful, grilled cheese sandwiches, etc., she gained 25% of her body weight (went from 40 to 50 lbs) in 3 weeks.   3 years later she is still overweight at 80 lbs (7 yrs old) but at 52 inches not obese. She looks pretty normal but still has a chubby steroid moon face.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...