The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society - Fighting Blood Cancers
4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 6, 2011 3:08 PM by Tex RSS

relapse after bmt - immediate options?

carolasticher Registered Users
Currently Being Moderated

hi everyone

i myself have a son with pre-b all, but have felt well informed and supported with doctors here (germany) since dx 5 months ago.

but now i'd like to look for advice here, for my son's 9-year-old friend, who just had a bmt after relapsed all and now, at day 90 after bmt, he's relapsed aleady, again. we all realise this is very serious.

the only last option which is contemplated now is a phase 1/2 pedriatic trial with blinatumomab (BiTE antibodies). it was tried before on 3 children on a compassionate basis last year with good results and has been on trial for adults. this small trial was supposed to start in june, but keeps being postponed. we're told november, but no one knows for sure. they could give him interim chemo to manage until november, but really no longer than that.

so time now is really crucial. and we don't seem to be getting any picture from the doctors of what options might be available globally. maybe there aren't any. but maybe there are other small trials out there to give the boy one last chance if the blinatunomab trial doesn't start.

are there any other trials you know of for pedriatic relapsed / recurring all where a post bmt patient would qualify and start right away? or any other option you have heard of that we can look into?

thanks for any help!

carola

• Re: relapse after bmt - immediate options?
    Tex Registered Users

That's terrible to learn about.  It might be nothing more than the donor's cells have a weakness that can't fight the remaining cancer.  And now it's probably too soon to try another donor.

So far as trials, I can refer you to two places.  You could contact the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance in Seattle or National Institutes of Health .

I hope you can find some help for the child.  You are, indeed, a good friend.

Blessings

felursus Registered Users

Maybe also try contacting St. Jude's - since they specialize in pediatric cancers.  www.stjude.org   You can also go to www.mskcc.org - that's Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York City and in the middle of the home page there's a place to look for treatment by cancer.  Go to pediatric leukemias and on that page on the left is a tab for clinical trials.  There is also a tab for "our team of experts", so perhaps the boy's parents can make a telephone appointment to speak with one of the pediatric leukemia experts.

Karen

carolasticher Registered Users

thank you so much for your advice. the boy actually managed to start blinatumomab antibody therapy a few days ago in tübingen with prof handgretinger (fromerly at st jude transplants, someone might know him). he is one of the few pedriatic patients in the world who have the chance to try this out at this point of in time, let's all hope it works and maybe there'll be many more trials soon to help the prettty much hopeless children with recurrent relapses.

thanks again!

carola

Tex Registered Users

Sometimes this forum gets twisted around and I don't know someone's posted for a few days.  I'm sorry to have not responded to this.

Yay!  I hope the treatment works.  Is this a trial?

Please keep us informed.

Blessings

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...