The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society - Fighting Blood Cancers
1 2 3 36 Previous Next 528 Replies Latest reply: Apr 13, 2012 7:27 PM by KyGuy RSS

My new journey.....

KyGuy Registered Users
Currently Being Moderated

Hey all,

I've been away for a week or so.  I've been thinking about the folks out here and hope folks are getting through this crap.

I've been in the hospital since last Thursday with a bowel obstruction.  Had surgery on Tuesday and was finally able to start eating again today after a week (nice diet).  They did find something that needed to be biopsied and I'll get the results of it tomorrow.  I'm not worried because I always tell people here not to worry (ok, I freaked for a few hours).  The problem is in my small intestine and that's not normally an area of much concern - my onc's words.

Just another reminder that we all should take advantage of life because it will certainly take advantage of us.  So glad now that I decided to tour the rain forest when I was in Costa Rica in June.

Take care all,

Kelly

• 1. Re: Update - trying to catch up
    mamawarrior Registered Users

Good grief kelly, hope you are on the mend now. You are certainly in my prayers. 

• 2. Re: Update - trying to catch up
    Tex Registered Users

This isn't going to be anything.  I'd be more willing to believe some latent form of GVH than the C-word.

Still, you know I'm going to be waiting to hear what's up.  Just don't get your bowels in an uproar.

Blessings

• 3. Re: Update - trying to catch up
    danswife Registered Users

Yikes!  You've had quite an adventure.  I think physicians are always extra-cautious with patients who have had cancer in their past.  Dan just went to his doc because he thought maybe he was coming down with a little something (thought it was a cold coming on or an ear ache) & they sent him for a CAT scan!  He's fine

Take Care & I hope your eating schedule is back to normal now!

Darcy

• 4. Re: Update - trying to catch up
    warrior Registered Users

Hey Kelley

There are better ways to get our attention! Hope you are on the mend and everythings turns out ok...I am a true believer in taking adavantage of the moment because who knows what curve ball will come your way in the morning. I loved your rainforest adventure! Kathy and I were just talking about camping next summer....2 years post auto sct. Get better...and let us know the results of the pathology report

• 5. Re: Update - trying to catch up
    paralyzed Registered Users

The adventures of Kelly

My gosh. Couldnt you choose Atkins or weight watchers?

Hope to hear good news from you today!

Jim

• 6. Re: Update - trying to catch up
    marta Registered Users

Kelly!

I am thinking of you! and loking forward news ( good news!) from you! Take care! Marta

• 7. Re: Update - trying to catch up
    KyGuy Registered Users

Well boys and girls this hasn't been one of my better days.  Turns out that the tumor they removed - the bowel obstruction - had leukemic cells.  It's the same old AML M5 so at least I know the beast.  I have a PET scan scheduled for Monday to find out if there are any other locations.  When they removed the tumor they said they go it all.   I'm already had a heart ultra-sound to start prepping things again for chemo.

My onc has already contacted the Hutch (see why I like this guy?).  I've kept my donor cells frozen (write that down as a good idea).  They're going to get the cells out and start checking them for viability to do a DLI.  I'll have a biopsy next weeek - my blood work is great and shows no indication of this.  I'll be getting my Hickman back this afternoon sometime - hope it's soon cause I'm hungry.

Where are we after a 4 year remission:

- I've said on here time and time again that we should not live our lives worrying that this crap might return.  That's the way I've been for 4 years and I am so thankful that I didn't let it rule me.

- I'm not making any guesses at this point.but it could turn out that this one spot is the only one.  The PET scan will be the key there and I'll have those results in 24 hours after the test.

- I'm really ok at this point.  Physically I feel well - other than the stomach surgery spot.  I'm very concerned about my family.  My parents are 90 and just moved to assisted living - they're not going to handle this well and I feel guilty that it will affect their health.  We're planning to tell my kids this evening.  My one son lives in Louisville and is coming up this weekend so as long as he gets here will tell them. He's bringing my bastard granddog with him (his girlfriend's dog).  So I'm really hoping I get discharged tomorrow and can spend the weekend with the dog (oh and my son).

- As I was writing this my brother stopped by with my parents.  My mother always looks like a million bucks - still very particular about her looks at age 90.  They were ok in front of me.  I'm not sure how they're really handling the news.

I'm sorry if this raises doubts in others who are recovering.  Don't let it.  Like I said, I've lived the last 4 years like it wasn't coming back and that's the best way to do it.  Now, I'll just keep moving forward (if one of you could just point the direction forward, I'd appreciate it).

Take care,

Kelly

• 8. Re: Update - trying to catch up
    mlpastorello Registered Users

Shit Kelly.....I told myself all night it was nothing. But you know what.....I know you are going to be okay again and you need one more go at some ass-kicking

and then on with life again. You have a special place in my heart because when Di got sick and I frantically posted for the first time, you and Tex were there with words of wisdom and were always there for every post. I am thinking of you as always.

• 9. Re: Update - trying to catch up
    CherylLynn Registered Users

Kelly...

I lurk here mostly - but felt compelled to send a reply with regard to your last post...I am so sorry to hear of the leukemia back again - no words I'm sure can do justice to a situation like this...your candor is much appreciated to someone just 6 months out of transplant...and I think we all can agree that in the back of our minds we KNOW that this beast can reoccur at anytime...it is hard sometimes not to live in fear but as you have stated you have lived 4 good years...I send all my prayers and good thoughts to you and your family...I look forward to your updates - all the best...

Cheryl

• 10. Re: Update - trying to catch up
    mamawarrior Registered Users

Kelly, this just sickens me, saddens me and infuriates me. I am so sorry. I hope reese pops on soon, seems like her daughter was a GI relapse if i remember correctly. You know we will be rooting for you and praying for you.

• 11. Re: Update - trying to catch up
    warrior Registered Users

Kelly

This just sucks.....AML is not the episode you want to replay for the  movie Ground Hog Day. Hang in there and fight this beast  again. I will be here cheering  for you. Glad you got your rainforest trip in!

• 12. Re: Update - trying to catch up
    paralyzed Registered Users

Kelly

Not the news you or us wanted to hear. My initial emotion is anger and hate.

I'm sorry you have to start over just when the worst should be behind you. Nice move keeping those cells...we did the same just for cases like this. Heres hoping those lymphocytes kick the heck outta the Leukemia. You have always provided me with positive thoughts and I'm not surprised by your positive approach. I'm impressed how quickly you prepared your mind to go on the attack.

Time for the next battle to begin...

Jim

• 13. Re: Update - trying to catch up
    RMD Registered Users

Dang Kelly - I am sorry to hear this.

But folks are right, it is good that you have saved cells (one of the good things about having an adult donor: extra cells!)

Sending you support and strength to kick it to the curb again.

Rosie 

• 14. Re: Update - trying to catch up
    Kas Registered Users

Kelly,

I don’t even know what to say.  I am so sorry for your news.  I am so angry on your behalf and angry for all of us who have gone through this crap disease that won’t seem to leave people alone.   Please know you will be in my thoughts.

Kas

1 2 3 36 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...