The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society - Fighting Blood Cancers
3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 11, 2011 7:26 PM by Austin'sMom RSS

Summer Camp?  Please tell me good experiences

robbieh Registered Users
Currently Being Moderated

I am excited/worried about sending my 12 year old daughter with ALL (just finished delayed intensification)  and Down syndrome (interpretation:  I was already overprotective even before cancer )  to Camp Quality NW Missouri in June.  Has anyone out there sent their child to camp in previous summers?  It sounds like it will be a lot of fun, and some of her oncology nurses and doctors will be there.  I'd love to hear happy stories about other children's experiences.  It will be weird for me because pretty much this whole school year we have been home together.  I know it's time to cut the umbilical cord again and I will enjoy a break, but I will also be nervous.

• Re: Summer Camp?  Please tell me good experiences
    tburkhardt Registered Users

Here's a video of my kids' first camp experience last summer.  They really liked it, except for the fact that they split them up and my little one was quite scared at night and homesick.  The only thing I didn't like was instead of letting my younger son call me, they just kept trying to make him feel better and he felt like he couldn't come home.  I had told them that all they had to do was call, and we could come and get them.  He felt like he had to trick them into letting him call me.  So, that blew it for them a bit.

I really need to tell them our experience, and I will--because now they don't want to go back this year.  I don't think the kids should feel forced to stay at any point--they should only stay as long as they are comfortable.  Having said that though, most kids LOVE it and want to go back every single year!

http://vimeo.com/12930578

Peter'sMum Registered Users

We have been sending Pete to Camp Quality since he turned 5, and he has had absolutely awesome times. The first time we were pretty nervous, but we had phone updates and he just had a ball. I can defintely recommend it 100%.

Bridget

Austin'sMom Registered Users

Austin went to camp his first summer on LTM. He was on steroids and very shy. He called me after two nights to come and get him. He stayed one night at home and then I took him back up there for the last night. The second year of camp he was much more comfortable and didn't want to come home at all   The first time can be hard on both of you but I say go for it. It can lead to an awesome 2nd, 3rd and 4th year!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend