The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society - Fighting Blood Cancers
6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 4, 2011 12:21 AM by Dicky_Love RSS

Anyone taking a pill only for their Leukemia

docfishes Registered Users
Currently Being Moderated

I am told  I have Leukemia not sure exactly what type.

I do know that there is a blood test that can be ran for and find only this type maybe acuate or chronic Leukemia . It searches for one type of protien,it can also be done with a bone marrow test

The Dr say that if it is the kind he thinks it is then there is a pill that you take once a day for the rest of your life

You would think I would know more but have gone brai n daed I guess any thoughts would be appreciated

I look at some of the other families on here and my problems do not seem to be near as bad as they were before I found this site

• Re: Anyone taking a pill only for their Leukemia
    Trey Registered Users

Those with Chronic Myeloid Leukemia take a pill called Gleevec, and it works well for most.  There are 4 main types of leukemia.  Your Oncologist will need to do a bone marrow biopsy to properly diagnose you.

http://www.leukemia-lymphoma.org/all_page?item_id=7026

Hope all goes well for you.

Thanks Trey for the response,

I had a bone and Morrow test done on Wed and we should get the results back and know something for sure on thur the 16th Dec.

A oncologist has pretty much confirmed that  it is chronic  myelogenous type.

After doing some reading I was amazed at how much the Glevic  cost for a 30 day supply,

We have about decided that retirement is out of the question and boy was the wife looking forward to it she was set up to retire march 2011,but now that we need the insurance she may have to work a while longer

The real downer here is I am the one that always gets sick and she is the one always having to sacrifice something .She never complains or throws it up in my face ,but this is really hard seeing the disappointment in her face when she found out

I can hardly stand watching her again haing to give up somtehing for me

Sorry to rant wil hush and get out of here

thanks again

jgnagey Registered Users

I have CML and in my opinion its the best of the four types of Leukemia. Granted you have to take a pill everyday to stay alive but that is all you have to do. It's a 95% survival rate!

Hello Jeremiah,

Thanks for the reply

I have just started the Gleevec as the insurance took for ever to decide to do a mail order perscription

I have now taken it two days along with a pill to keep me from getting sick and since it has not bothered me at all ,I am going to try it tomorrow without the other pill for nauesa.

I do have the CML and am very fortunate .

Doctor says platelets are great and thinks I can be treated with just the pill

I have seen  that the VA has now accepted some leukemias under the provision of the AGENT ORANGE that was used in Viet Nam

If CML is in that list then I may be able to be treated through the VA which will still open the door for the wife to retire.

I just found out that in 2003 there was a rule put in place that allows treatment through the VA according to what you make and own,make no difference that you are a vet

only how wealthy you are the more you have the less the treatment upto no treatment at all if you are worth so much

a married vet with a combined income of 45-50,000 a year cant even sign up at the VA hospital

eithne01 Registered Users

You probably have your diagnosis by now,so if it's going tbe lukaemia let's hope it's cml.

I've been taking Gleevec for my CML since oct 2009.A couple side effects Bonepain,cramps and sometimes

sooooo tired,wouldn't swop the Gleevec though.Hope all goes realy well for you.

Dicky_Love Registered Users

My doctor told me there are groups that would help subsidize the medicine for those who cant afford it. Sometimes it's even the drug manufactureres themselves... Might be worth checking into...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...