The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society - Fighting Blood Cancers
25 Replies Latest reply: Jul 1, 2012 11:50 AM by 0vercast RSS

Calcium, Magnesium, and Vitamin D

cpsn0000 Registered Users
Currently Being Moderated

I have read that it is recommended to be taking 600mg of Calcium, 400mg of Magneisum, and 1000 IU's of Vitamin D. Is this correct? I know when I was admitted into hospital my Calcium and Magnesium levels were marked as low but nothing was ever said about that by my onc. Any thoughts on this?

• Re: Calcium, Magnesium, and Vitamin D
    barlee1 Registered Users

I've been advised to take all 3 by both my oncologist and my internist.  Not sure about the levels since my meds are upstairs and I'm downstairs at the moment.

GerryL Registered Users

I was taking a Calcium, Magnesium with Vit D supplement prior to diagnosis - and have just continued to take the recommended dosage on the bottle.

Trey Registered Users

I would add Vitamin C and folic acid.  Just don't take the calcium along with the Gleevec since it can inhibit drug absorption.

vwoyak Registered Users

Trey is right, of course (thumbs up!) so I take all my vitamins, etc. in the morning and my drugs in the p.m. (used to be on Gleevec, now on Sprycel).  I was already taking all of these prior to dx but my Onc made sure I was taking them after dx and told me to be sure to keep taking them when I switched to Sprycel.

GerryL Registered Users

Hi Trey,

I take vitamin C to help with the iron absorption, but hadn't thought of folic acid - how does this help?

I take a multi vitamin, plus fish oil which is apparently helps with brain function and memory - my GP asked me if it was working, I told him if I was still managing to find my way to the GP in 20 to 30 years, then we'd know it worked.The fish oil in combination with Vit E also assists with keeping your skin in good condition.

I started taking my morning dose of Calcium and Magnesium about 3 hours after the Glivec (around morning tea time at work) and all the vitamins at night time.

TeddyB Registered Users

Trey: I eat GoatCheese every morning with my Gleevec, should i be worried, as this probably contains up to about 150mg calcium pr breakfast serving? (It contains 350mg pr 100gram) My 270k wbc went down quickly on G alone (around 3 weeks), so it seems to be working okay? Havent had my 3month checkup yet.

GerryL Registered Users

Hi TeddyB - it probably takes longer for the body to convert the cheese into calcium, as opposed to taking a supplement.

Trey Registered Users

Not a problem.  The issue is that pure calcium has binding properties that can bind to a drug and decrease drug uptake (any drug) from being taken up since calcium itself has a very low uptake rate.

TeddyB Registered Users

Thank you Trey and GerryL

Quick followup question, will the Gleevec function better when taken at morning? (As long as there are no as you like to put it; "shart" (rapid movements through the bowel) issues involved) Im pretty sure ive read somewhere that the body`s uptake is higher in the morning, or would taking it with the evening meal be just as effective?

(My stomach is so hard/constipated after starting G, that any rapid bowel movement on my part would a welcome relief at this point)

GerryL Registered Users

Interesting question - I'd say it just comes down to side effects as to the time you take your tablet. You're dissolving your tablet as well, so you're ahead of the game anyway.

I'd also skip the cheese if you're constipated.

Trey Registered Users

It does not matter a lot, but as a technical detail, drugs taken before bedtime will have more uptake opportunity since the alimentary canal slows down during the night, and drugs have longer exposure to intestinal uptake.  But I would not let that drive your schedule. 

But if I took Gleevec dissolved in juice as you do I would shart and puke simultaneously.  Just sayin'

billronm@roadrunner.com Registered Users

Geez Teddy,

When I was on Gleevac I sharted for 3 years constantly. I was allowed to take up to 7 immodium a day. I can't take calcium because I have a problem with my arterys. Be careful what you wish for, trust me the sharts will come.

My pcp told me to take 250mg of magnesium for leg cramps, and I haven't had any for 3 years. Just sharing with you what I was told.   Billie

pammartin Registered Users

Billie,

I miss you when you are gone for days, or I am gone for days.....you made me laugh     again.

Pam

billronm@roadrunner.com Registered Users

Hi Pammie,

I haven't heard from you lately, you haven't been in jail or something have you??? I read your post, I'm so glad you're getting into Cleveland Clinic. I think they are much better than Pittsburg. I'm only an hour and a half from there and it's a real quick ride on I-90 I'm real close to the fourth exit coming out of Ohio. Maybe you could make a pit stop some time. Or will you go I-80? You're always welcome. I'm so glad you're going on an anti-depressant, I really think you need one for a while. You're on this great roller coaster but you're not having any fun. It seems like all of us are in a rut, it's time to get back in action so we can let all of our newbies know that cml does not control or ruin our lives. I just have to get my iron level up and get off these damn iron pills. I pulled another stunt last week,I'll post it later but it's called how not to remove a corn from your toe. I thought I might become an amputee of my little toe. Thought I might have to call 911 because of my pinky toe. I'll never learn.   lots o luv Billie

TeddyB Registered Users

Thanks for all your answers GerryL, Trey and Billie, appreciate it

Fun reading indeed

And Bille, i feel like im on 7 immodium at the moment, hehe.

Good to see you too Pam

Happycat Registered Users

Teddy,

I get constipation on gleevec rather than sharts, but I think I just inherited my grandma's digestive system. If it keeps up, I recommend you experiment with sennokot.

Are you taking painkillers (opiate-based)?  That can have a hugely constipating effect, which likely will outweigh anything from gleevec.

Traci

0vercast Registered Users

I also experience some constipation from Gleevec.  I haven't heard many people complain abut this.  It still goes on, especially after my recent 2 week dose escalation shook things up, but it's not nearly as bad as it was in the two months after dx.  It was very severe for a while there and required me to take Dulcolax every three days or so to get anything to happen at all.  Cutting back on dairy products and dramatically increasing fiber consumption has seemed to help.  For fiber, I still go with about 10 apples, 5 spinach/romaine salads, and 2 cups(dry) of brown rice weekly.  Brown rice is best prepared in a rice cooker rather than on the stovetop.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend