The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society - Fighting Blood Cancers
3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 28, 2010 2:15 AM by misskitkat RSS

Multiple Myeloma and Hair Products

Stone Registered Users
Currently Being Moderated

For the past 15 years, I have been a "natural" blonde.  Since I have started the Dexamethazone and the Revlamid therapy, I have not had my hair colored for fear of a skin reaction.  What about the rest of you ladies out there?  Are you having any problems with getting your hair colored?  I cannot stand looking at my grey hair and want my blonde hair back, but I don't want my scalp to fall off wither.  HA!  Also, my oncologist wants to put in a port for the Zometa treatments as that chemical is destroying my veins.  I do not want the port for many reasons.  Let me hear from those of you with pros and cons about the port.  Thanks.

Stone

• Re: Multiple Myeloma and Hair Products
    ArizonaGirl Registered Users

As long as I have hair I will continue highlighting it.  I have relapsed myeloma and have been on Velcade/Revlimid/Dex for 2 months now.  I have had no problems with highlighting my hair.  I don't see any reason you shouldn't unless your scalp is irritated for some reason.  The only thing I notice is my hair breaks a little easier so I need to use a protective spray before using hot appliances, and need to condition a little more.  I say embrace your inner blonde.

As far as the port, that is such a personal decision.  I had one for 3 months during transplant and I would choose not to have one unless absolutely necessary, but some people prefer it to being poked all the time.  I get IVs weekly and don't mind it as the needles are so small now.  I guess a lot of it depends on the condition of your veins.  Let us know what you decide.

Stone Registered Users

My concern about coloring my hair was surrounding the insufferable itching I usually get the first 7 days out of the 21 day Revlamid protocol.  This is the first month that my scalp and ears didn't itch.  The Zometa treatment IVs (to build back the calcium in my bones) that I get every other month are destroying my veins.  The onc is insisting on the port stating that I am running out of veins, but the port would be in place for a minimum of two years.  The way I feel, it seems impossible that I will even be around another 2 years.  If this were a short term thing, I might consider it, but 2 years is out of the question.  The port also increases the risk of airborne bacteria and viruses invading my already compromised immune system.  I have only one position in which I can sleep now, and adding the port would only decrease my ability to rest.  I stay exhausted as it is.  Most days, I get up at 7A to let the pups out into their dog run while I eat a bowl of Rice Crispies.  When I am finished eating, I let the pups back into the house, take a 5mg Diazepam and sleep until 11A.  Then I eat lunch.  I try to get as much sleep between Wednesday and Saturday as possible as on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday, I don't sleep due to taking the Dexamethazone.  What did you most dislike about the port?  Stone

misskitkat Registered Users

As far as the hair coloring, you could try a small area and see if it causes a problem with your scalp before you do your whole head.  Have you tried any drugs or topical treatments to help with the itching?  A dermatologist might be able to recommend something if your oncologist can't help.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...