The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society - Fighting Blood Cancers
30 Replies Latest reply: Jun 17, 2012 9:31 PM by may04CLL RSS

list things that need fixing on new site

tonyg Registered Users
Currently Being Moderated

I know it has only been a few days since the swap over and like all new things it will take time to get used to them . Here are some of the things I think need fixing with the new site

Make it easier for overseas posters to register.

The communities list needs expanding on the main page to include all the sub headings, to make it easier finding out where things are.

Stop automatic email notifications. The default should be no emails.

Add a delete option to the edit post.

I'm sure there are more things to add to the list ................Tony

• Re: list things that need fixing on new site
    kelainek Registered Users

Tony, that seems to be a pretty decent list to start with.  The only thing I would add at this point is to fix the load times.  I expect some slow load times as I am on dial-up, but there are times it is excessive.

Lew Registered Users

How about an Ignore this Poster button?  That might prevent things like the recent blow-up that caused a number of people to leave the boards.  What would really do the trick is to prevent anyone you choose to ignore from seeing your posts.  I know I was reluctant to post outside of my comfort topics on the old board, simply because of one bad experience.  If you know that someone who doesn't like you can't see your posts, it would be somewhat liberating.

magnus Registered Users

I think it would be impractical to hide posts from people you don't like. It could make it very difficult to follow discussions if some of the posts are "missing", and it would also add a lot of processing overhead (and hence response time) for each page. Perhaps you could simply use the "Report Abuse" button that is now present on every single message if somebody steps over the line and says something unacceptable?

Tex Registered Users

magnus wrote:

I think it would be impractical to hide posts from people you don't like. It could make it very difficult to follow discussions if some of the posts are "missing"

I dunno about that.  I used to post a lot on the Motley Fool boards and they had that feature.  Frankly, I never missed anything because I didn't want to know what a couple of yokels had to say.

Registered Users

There is not an Ignore Poster feature available. My suggestion would be to use the "Report abuse" link in the right column (or in individual posts) when you feel that someone has posted something inappropriate, offensive or in the wrong place. Report Abuse

magnus Registered Users

I would like to get rid of the "Welcome to the new LLS Blood Cancer Discussion Boards" widget because it forces me to scroll down a whole page before seeing what I actually want to see (the list of discussions). Could it be made optional?

Registered Users

Unfortunately we cannot make content boxes optional on individual community home pages. That said, we'll probably condense it in the next few days/weeks and try to make it so it doesn't take up so much screen real estate. We still have some of our previous members of the Patient Services Discussion Boards migrating over so we would like to leave it up for a little while yet.

markf Registered Users

I don't know why all of the specific diseases are listed under "Living With."  It means that you need to take an extra click to get to that point and also to go back.  Why not have the full list right there as before?

Mark

Registered Users

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. We'll evaluate them and will let you know if we can do any of them.

RE: email notifications - we have made it so new registrants will not receive email notifications on threads that they participate in or create. For exisiting users I'd recommend reading this how-to guide on How to Stop Receiving Email Notifications.

We are already looking into some of the other suggestions, but will add the new suggestions to our list. Please be aware that some things may not be possible either because of the system we're using or the current version in operation.

Fontenrose Registered Users

I have been thinking about this. Some of the tweaking has been good. I think there is too much on the top of the page. When I choose a forum the actual threads are not even visible on the screen. I have to scroll down the page constantly. Part of this is because I also have zoomed in on Firefox because the text is so small, but I think that is not user friendly. The top logo bar is too large and showy for this purpose. I don't think we need the 'frequent poster' item.

The busy style of the page  and the small text does not appeal to older people. I hope we have not lost too many in this transition. I notice they are using a large text size.

I think it would be nice to have a 'back to forum' tab at the bottom of a discussion. Once I have read a topic, that is my most frequent choice.

I like the news line, and I am glad that the old forum was archived. I will go read that info now.

Registered Users

Fontenrose wrote:

I have been thinking about this. Some of the tweaking has been good. I think there is too much on the top of the page. When I choose a forum the actual threads are not even visible on the screen. I have to scroll down the page constantly. Part of this is because I also have zoomed in on Firefox because the text is so small, but I think that is not user friendly. The top logo bar is too large and showy for this purpose. I don't think we need the 'frequent poster' item.

It sounds like you are currently defaulting to the main community homepage. You may want to utilize the How to use Your View and personalize your experience feature, which allows you to see the sections that are most interesting/important to you (which means you won't see the Top Participants box, for example).

Fontenrose wrote:

The busy style of the page  and the small text does not appeal to older people. I hope we have not lost too many in this transition. I notice they are using a large text size.

I think it would be nice to have a 'back to forum' tab at the bottom of a discussion. Once I have read a topic, that is my most frequent choice.

I'll bring these two items up in my next meeting this week about the community. Thanks!

Registered Users

Fontenrose wrote:

We are not going to be able to add this link, however there are a couple of ways you can easily get back to the board.

You can click the back button in your browser until it takes you back to the page that you want to be on.

The other option is to use the breadcrumb links at the top of the page.

breadcrumb.png

In this image of the breadcrumb there are three places you can go to: The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Community (the main community homepage), LLS Blood Cancer Discussion Boards (the homepage that lists out all the blood cancer boards) and Comment on the Dicussion Boards (the homepage for the board that we're currently in).

• error in search on old forum

When I went to the old forum to test the search for a topic, first I tried the top search bar (which is most prominent). Of course that got me to the general search for the web site.

OK, then I went to the search inside the forum, under the forum title. When I seached, I got a list of old posts. But when I selected one of them, I did not get the post, I went back to a screen for a search within the web site.It did not display the discussion I had selected.

I am also going to test this with google. A lot of us found this forum with google, not through the menu selection on the web site. I can't remember what I was searching for when I found it, but it is very important to make it look easy and welcoming. Sick people are not going to persevere if something looks like it will be too tiring.

• Re: error in search on old forum
      Registered Users

Fontenrose wrote:

When I went to the old forum to test the search for a topic, first I tried the top search bar (which is most prominent). Of course that got me to the general search for the web site.

OK, then I went to the search inside the forum, under the forum title. When I seached, I got a list of old posts. But when I selected one of them, I did not get the post, I went back to a screen for a search within the web site.It did not display the discussion I had selected.

I am also going to test this with google. A lot of us found this forum with google, not through the menu selection on the web site. I can't remember what I was searching for when I found it, but it is very important to make it look easy and welcoming. Sick people are not going to persevere if something looks like it will be too tiring.

We'll check this. Thanks!

ncook Registered Users

HELP!!

Ive posted this other places, but still haven't recieved help..

Can we set our font size and color, so that we do not have to keep changing it each time we post???

Thanks, nicole

Registered Users

ncook wrote:

HELP!!

Ive posted this other places, but still haven't recieved help..

Can we set our font size and color, so that we do not have to keep changing it each time we post???

Thanks, nicole

I think that you may have asked this in another thread, but to make sure - no, you cannot set your font size and color. We'll keep our eyes and ears open for a feature like this in the future.

• google rating

I googled a very specific search term:

anyone with MLL rearranged b-cell ALL (11q23 translocation)?

And this site didn't come up until page four. I hope that the site will move up the list after it has been around a few months.

When I googled peg-asparaginase the old site came up fourth, which was good. The link to the new site is quite clear.

I don't think the keywords section is useful, or the balloon poll. Really the families of currently sick people may not have the resources, emotional, physical or financial, to be too interested in fund-raising. It changes when they get better, so it's nice to know a bit about it. But this is life and death for us, not balloons.

I see from the post above another example of how people are adapting to the smallish default font size. Now we will have a mishmash of small and huge text. My solution of zooming in means that these people's posts are truly huge. I have to scroll across the posts, so my fix is poor too.

• Re: google rating
      Registered Users

Fontenrose wrote:

I googled a very specific search term:

anyone with MLL rearranged b-cell ALL (11q23 translocation)?

And this site didn't come up until page four. I hope that the site will move up the list after it has been around a few months.

When I googled peg-asparaginase the old site came up fourth, which was good. The link to the new site is quite clear.

Sometimes it can take a while for a site to get indexed in Google. It's likely that this site will come up higher in searches for other terms like "TNT fundraising" because these types of conversations have been on here for a while, but because the LLS Blood Cancer Discussion Boards section is so new it will take a little longer for you to see search results display sooner on Google. It will happen though!

Fontenrose wrote:

I don't think the keywords section is useful, or the balloon poll. Really the families of currently sick people may not have the resources, emotional, physical or financial, to be too interested in fund-raising. It changes when they get better, so it's nice to know a bit about it. But this is life and death for us, not balloons.

Polls will be updated more regularly to include other relevant topics. One thing to keep in mind is that the LLS Community is used by a wider group of people including fundraisers, so we have to make sure that the content that appears on the LLS Community homepage is relevant or appropriate for everyone. Again, though, the polls will change more frequently and will include questions that are more interesting to those who use the LLS Blood Cancer Discussion Boards space.

• Living with...

I think that combining all the "Living with" topics, while it saves space, is not a good solution.

If new viewers don't see a specific forum useful for them right away, they will be gone, and never return. It is not obvious for a person viewing the site for the first time, maybe with Hodgkins, that there is a specific topic for them. You should sit some testers down and test them on where they browse in the forum, assuming they have a specific diagnosis.

Maybe some things should be automatically turned off when people log in. Once they log in it shows they are regulars, so some things they don't need that new or casual viewers might need. I don't log in unless I want to post, so I assume regulars would still see these items casually.

• Re: Living with...
      Registered Users

Fontenrose wrote:

I think that combining all the "Living with" topics, while it saves space, is not a good solution.

If new viewers don't see a specific forum useful for them right away, they will be gone, and never return. It is not obvious for a person viewing the site for the first time, maybe with Hodgkins, that there is a specific topic for them. You should sit some testers down and test them on where they browse in the forum, assuming they have a specific diagnosis.

The "Living with" set up is something that we have discussed here and we're currently trying to think of ways to make it easier for people to know what is available to them.

Fontenrose wrote:

Maybe some things should be automatically turned off when people log in. Once they log in it shows they are regulars, so some things they don't need that new or casual viewers might need. I don't log in unless I want to post, so I assume regulars would still see these items casually.

I highly recommend that logged in users utilize the How to use Your View and personalize your experience feature. It can be a great solution for those who don't like the default homepage.

• your view page

Well, I was just playing with Your View, so I will provide more customer feedback. (I'm obviously a parent, not a blood cancer patient, so I have the energy to do this.) I tried to make a page as simple as possible. I set the page to the single frame, then I tried to remove widgets. They seemed to be draggable to the top, and they disappeared until I hit update page. Then they were all back. Basically, I could add to the page, but not remove. Well, I may go back and play with this some more sometime.

In the meantime I have bookmarked the discussion I am most interested in "Children with cancer" under "All content" which is pretty close to what I want to see. I really don't need the title 'Children with Cancer' in such big letters on the page. The small list of menus is quite sufficient, as it still hurts to see those words.

• Re: your view page
          Registered Users

You can remove widgets from Your View. Each widget has a Remove link or red X in the top right hand corner:

remove.png

Once you are happy with your layout you can click the Publish Layout button.

publish.png

You have to be logged in in order to see this otherwise when you come back to community.lls.org you will see the default layout.

• Re: Living with...
      porciniak Registered Users

I find the choice of text and background colors problematic, please take a look here:

http://www.lighthouse.org/accessibility/

• list things that need fixing on new site

Oops, I see I inadvertantly changed the title of this thread. I didn't know that would happen.

• List things that need fixing on new site/ feedback

Ok, since I had scrolled in I didn't see the far right edge of the screen. I had better watch out for that. It makes typing a bit tricky too.

**Ah, ha. I just noticed FireFox has a View setting called "Zoom text only" that will help those of us who maybe are starting to need bifocals.

Now I have removed all the widgets except 'Communities' as a test. However it just shows the main five or so categories, not the sub-lists. I would like to see the sub-categories so I can decide whether to pick right on 'children with cancer', or check out 'newly diagnosed'. I still don't care for the fact that so much space at the top of the screen is lost space.

• Re: List things that need fixing on new site/ feedback
      Registered Users

Fontenrose wrote:

Now I have removed all the widgets except 'Communities' as a test. However it just shows the main five or so categories, not the sub-lists. I would like to see the sub-categories so I can decide whether to pick right on 'children with cancer', or check out 'newly diagnosed'. I still don't care for the fact that so much space at the top of the screen is lost space.

If you click Edit link in the Communities widget, you can select Yes to have it show sub-communities, then click the Save Properties button. Here's a screenshot (click it to enlarge).

communities.png

YM Registered Users

Hello,

The new boards look good; the only suggestion I have is that each disease (AML, CLL, ALL, so on and so forth) should each be listed on the main page (LLS Cancer Discussion Boards), as opposed to under the tab "Living With..."

I know one can reconfigure one's account so the forum they want immediately uploads, but I think the most important thing here is that new users can immediately see AML/CLL/ALL when they first look at this website. 

YM

Registered Users

YM wrote:

Hello,

The new boards look good; the only suggestion I have is that each disease (AML, CLL, ALL, so on and so forth) should each be listed on the main page (LLS Cancer Discussion Boards), as opposed to under the tab "Living With..."

I know one can reconfigure one's account so the forum they want immediately uploads, but I think the most important thing here is that new users can immediately see AML/CLL/ALL when they first look at this website.

YM

Thanks for your input. We're working on something now and will implement something in the coming days to help address this issue of people having a hard time finding the disease-specific boards.

may04CLL Registered Users

looks like no posts since 2009.   it's now 2012!!    what about expanding pvt e-mails.   i've tried to send individuals e-mails and their box is full.  some posters don't even know how to send pvt emails.     how bout some help ?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...