The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society - Fighting Blood Cancers
25 Replies Latest reply: Sep 18, 2011 11:52 AM by mdmom RSS

How Much Turmeric Should I Take?

mivkz Registered Users
Currently Being Moderated

I have had CLL for about 5 years now.  54 yr old female, WBC @ 52.  I have some swollen nodes in the neck and some internal swollen nodes per my last CT scan.  I ran out of Turmeric and did not take any for about 2 months.  Nodes got worse.  Started taking 3 per day and the nodes in my neck seem to be smaller.  How much Turmeric does everyone take per day?  Any recommendations?  Thanks.

• Re: How Much Turmeric Should I Take?
    willowbayfarm Registered Users

Hi Mivkz,

This link is to a blog maintained by a Multiple Myeloma patient who has collected a huge number of studies about curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric.  I guess when you state that you are taking "3 per day" it would be helpful if you said how many milligrams each tab? capsule? pill? you are taking is.  Anyway, you might enjoy perusing Margaret's site, there are a number of discussions about curcumin on the right side of her blog page.  http://margaret.healthblogs.org/

Hope this helps.

- WBF

goodchatt Registered Users

Greetings

This is one of my favorite topics..  natural ways to boost immune system to fight off the DX..

I think you answered your own question by taking turmeric then stopping and then starting up taking

the Trumeric again.  By doing this you notice nodes got smaller.   You have your own home trial going on.

good job.  and ... good luck

keep us updated with your success.

mdmom Registered Users

Thanks for the Tumeric info.  I've been taking green tea suppliments after reading a Mayo Clinic study of CLL patients.  One caution on Green Tea is that it contains some level of caffeine, even if it's not marked on the bottle.  I kept wondering why I felt so peppy, even at 11:00 at night.  I've switched to decaf suppliments and I sleep much better at night.

Hi Mdmom,

You can also take a supplement called EGCG, which is the active ingredient in green tea, and I don't think it contains caffeine.  I have a copy of an interesting study about both the curcumin and the EGCG - if anyone's interested they can send me a private message and I'll make arrangements to email it.

- WBF

mkr Registered Users

Hi,

I am a total newbie, so please keep that in mind!

But I've been reading about cancer-fighting foods like a banshee, and I read that it's important to take turmeric with pepper... they think that's why Indians don't have as much cancer, because they eat it in curry, but in conjunction with pepper...

You might want to google and investigate that point. Right now I take my turmeric supplements in a glass of water into which I put ground black pepper... crazy, I know, but I just got diagnosed and doing EVERYTHING I can to beat this thing!!!

Similarly I read you can't get the benefits of lycopene from eating cold tomatoes, they have to be cooked, and taken with olive oil to aid absorption into the body.

Hope that helps, and remember, I'M NO EXPERT, and this is just a suggestion to look into...

Best regards,

Maria

goodchatt Registered Users

mkr

I agree with you...  I take many of those type herbs and spices...  I call it my own home treatment trial..

I just had a doc visit.. and blood work... my blood work is hanging in there.. my nodes are okay still

I hope we both have  found something that may slow this stuff.. down some

This is all new to me as well..  I just happen to read about these types of  cancer options.. and started

my own home trials.. little of this little of that.. till I got some balance for my body... that seems to keep me

getting up each day.. feeling okay..  I will take every good day I get..

good luck to you.. keep us posted..   I go back to my doctor in 6 months... wow.. 

One day at a time...

Hi mkr,

You can actually buy a curcumin/piperine supplement (curcumin being the active component of turmeric, and piperine = pepper) - I'm just thinking using such a product might reduce the gag potential of the concoction you've been consuming!  You might also check out the discussions relating to the bioavailability of curcumin (which is enhanced by adding piperine) on the links I'm providing...if you're interested in this stuff, you may well find these an interesting read.  http://margaret.healthblogs.org/life-with-myeloma/discovery-of-curcumin/bioavailability-of-curcumin/piperine/

http://margaret.healthblogs.org/life-with-myeloma/discovery-of-curcumin/bioavailability-of-curcumin/

Best wishes,

- WBF

mkr Registered Users

I just got them in the mail, thank you!!!

Maria

blue Registered Users

I READ THAT USING TURMERIC ALONG WITH GREEN TEA IS COUNTER PRODUCTIVE IN

CASE YOU ARE ALSO USING GREEN TEA.

On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 17:50:40 -0400 mkr <communityreply@lls.org> writes:

blue,

A new message was posted in the thread "How Much Turmeric Should I

Take?":

http://community.lls.org/message/67718#67718

Author  : mkr

Profile : http://community.lls.org/people/mkr

mkr Registered Users

Where did you read that?? Can you please send a link?

Thanks,

Maria

Hi Blue,

The report I referred to above says in part, "Treatment of primary B-CLL cells with the combination of EGCG and curcurmin was investigated.  The sequential administration of EGCG followed by curcumin was the most effective treatment combination, whereas simultaneous administration resulted in antagonistic effects."  It goes on to state, "The data also indicate that sequential treatment of B-CLL with EGCG followed by curcumin is preferable to simultaneous treatment and is crucial to the efficacy of the combination of there two compounds."   This report was published in Clinical Cancer Research in 2009.  Interesting stuff.

- WBF

Hi Blue,

The report I referred to above says in part, "Treatment of primary B-CLL cells with the combination of EGCG and curcurmin was investigated.  The sequential administration of EGCG followed by curcumin was the most effective treatment combination, whereas simultaneous administration resulted in antagonistic effects."  It goes on to state, "The data also indicate that sequential treatment of B-CLL with EGCG followed by curcumin is preferable to simultaneous treatment and is crucial to the efficacy of the combination of there two compounds."   This report was published in Clinical Cancer Research in 2009.  Interesting stuff.

- WBF

Hi Blue,

- WBF

tigersaver Registered Users

Tumerric(cucurmin) and Green Tea.

Read this article.

http://clincancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/15/4/1123.full

Seems that taking them together might not be such a good idea. Seems that taking the Green Tea first then the Cucurmin has the best effect.

I take Green Tea during the day-then take 2x tablets of the cucurmin at night before bed. I take this formula http://www.cncahealth.com/herbs/curcumin-750mg

mezzz3 Registered Users

Late in on this topic, but here is further information on the study (one is a commentary on the study).  Looks like 24 hours according to the study methods, but this is just how they did the study, they didn't test different time intervals to see if shorter produces the same results, plus they washed between administrations.  The third reference below gives some concentration times and values (see Table 2. & Figure 2) for green tea - maybe shorter intervals between could produce the same results?

Curcumin Inhibits Prosurvival Pathways in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia B Cells and May Overcome Their Stromal Protection in Combination with EGCG

Asish K. Ghosh, Neil E. Kay, Charla R. Secreto, et all

Clin Cancer Res 2009;15:1250-1258.

http://clincancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/15/4/1250.full.pdf+html

Materials and Methods pg. 1252

"For sequential treatment experiments, 1.0 x 106 CLL B cells/mL were treated with DMSO, curcumin (10 umol/L) alone, EGCG (100 umol/L) alone, or both agents for 24h; washed; and cultured for another 24h in media alone or with the addition of the second agent (EGCG or curcumin), as indicated.

Tumeric and Green Tea: A recipe for the Treatment of B-Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia

Commentary on Ghosh et al., p.1250

Laura S. Angelo and Razelle Kurzrock

Clin Cancer Res 2009;1123 15(4) February 15, 2009

http://clincancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/15/4/1123.full.pdf+html

Bioavailability and antioxidant activity of tea flavanols after consumption of green tea, black tea, or a green tea extract supplement 1-3

http://www.ajcn.org/content/80/6/1558.full.pdf

How relevant are the first study's results?

The concentrations they used most often were 40uM ECGC and 20uM Curcumin, even at 5 uM curcumin, one of the Figures (9) shows no inhibition of one of the markers they looked at.  They state: "Our present studies, in contrast, demonstrate opposing effects of these agents.  Unlike EGCG, curcumin treatment does not increase hINV promoter activity or increase endogenous hINV expression.  Moreover, curcumin, at concentrations > 15uM, inhibits the EGCG-dependent increase important in hINV promoter activity.  This appears to be physiologically important, since curcumin also inhibits the EGCG-dependent increase in endogenous incolucrin level."

But if you look at plasma/tissue levels of curcumin from: Bioavailability of Curcumin: Problems and Promises Preetha Anand, Ajaikumar B. Kunnumakkara, Robert A. Newman, and Bharat B. Aggarwal.  Mol. Pharmaceutics, 2007, 4 (6), 807-818. http://www.curcuminresearch.org/PDF/Anand%20P-23.pdf , how many people are taking doses or curcumin that high, and it looks like they wouldn't even be reaching the levels of the sequential treatments.  Is this accurate?

Table 1. (page 811)

Species      route     dose          plasma/tissue          levels

human          oral     2g/kg         serum                    0.006+ 0.005 ug/mL (Micro Grams per MilliLiter)

human          oral     4-8 g          serum                    0.4-3.6 uM (MicroMole)

human          oral      10 g          serum                    50.5 ng/m (NanoGram per ?)

human          oral      12 g          serum                    51.2 ng/mL (NanoGrams per MilliLiter)

human          oral     3.6 g          plasma                    11.1 + 0.6 nmol/mL (NanoMole per MilliLiter)

human          oral     0.4-3.6 g     colorectum               7-20 mol's (Moles)

Anyone is welcome to sort this our more completely, as I could be missing some details, affecting accuracy.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend