Team In Training
7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 14, 2008 1:11 PM by kimpossible RSS

First Timer for June 1, 2008 Tahoe Century Bike Ride

Registered Users
Currently Being Moderated

First Timer for June 1, 2008 Tahoe Century Bike Ride.

Anyone have any advice and what to expect.

If anyonme wants to support me with any donation of any size

all is appreicated . Thanks Antoinette

http://www.active.com/donate/tntliny/tntlinyAPalmeri1

• Re: First Timer for June 1, 2008 Tahoe Century Bike Ride
    Paul TNT Coach

Hello Antoinette!

I'm a TNT cycling coach in Milwaukee.  Welcome to the Team! 

Good to get an early start on your fundraising, as you are doing.  You may find this forum is less used than we'd like.  But feel free to post questions and I (and others) will try to check in periodically to give you our 2 cents worth.

If you are new to cycling and don't have any gear (helmet - required; cycling shorts, tights and other closing - highly recommended), now is a good time to look for sale items on the internet and at your local bike shop.

All the best,

Paul Lucey

Registered Users

Thank you Paul for your response.

Right now I am shopping for a bike and am

just about ready to buy a Specialized Dolce Elite

for the ride.  I hope I can get use to the clips and shoes.

The shop I am going to fits you and the process takes

about 3 hours.  I am looking forward to all the challenges.

Antoinette

Paul TNT Coach

Good choice of bike.  Some people report that the Dolce Elite front derailleur will require careful adjusment to ensure smooth shifting.  All new bikes should be serviced after about  50 miles of riding because the new cables stretch a little bit and need to be tightened.

Sounds like the right kind of bike shop, too.  Spending the time and effort to get a good bike fitting is an excellent idea.

Toe clips are a good choice to start with (well, and they are no extra charge!).  However, if you can afford clip-in pedals and good stiff-soled cycling shoes, the investment will pay off by the time you get to Tahoe.  Most people learn to clip in and out pretty quickly.  If you have the opportunity to put the bike on a trainer for a few hours, you can get the knack without have the embarassing experience of forgetting to clip out as you slow coming up to your first stop sign and falling over at zero miles per hour.  Kind of like a Monty Python skit!  Usually, that first silly fall is all it takes to remember to clip out.

It is worth learning to use clip-in pedals because you can develop a more efficient pedaling style over time.

Registered Users

Antoinette,

You are in for a great treat as the Tahoe ride is truly beautiful!  Follow the training program and you will do great on event day!

Your TNT webpage is great and it is awesome to see that you have raised ~$3,800 already for this event!

Glenn

Registered Users

Antoinette,

You will do great.I've done 5 events with the Long Island ( Strong Island ) team.My one bit of advise is put in the miles.The miles don't lie. George and all the coaches will have you ready.You will do just great. I promise and what a finnish it will be truely awesome

Vinnie

kimpossible Registered Users

This is my very first season with Team In Training and I will be using my Mountain Bike. I welcome the challenge that I will have and just hope I will have what it takes emotionally to never give up. I finished our 65 mile ride in the Pt. Reyes area and that was so difficult for me to do with the wind taking my strength away. But I am very proud to say that I will never give up,I may stop to catch my breath but I will get back on as my coach says' NEVER STOP PEDDLING" I love flying down the hills after the long climb up. But Pt. Reyes had many hills with no pay off on the decent on most. The fundraising part was not difficult and I think I am interested in doing it again. If I where to do it again I would want to do the turn around since I would still be in shape. I just seem to be finishing last in my group and I have gotten lost a few times so that does mess with my mind a bit.

kimpossible Registered Users

I had so much fun doing the Tahoe Ride that I decided to do another TNT event and return as a Mentor for the Salvang/Tuscon teams. I finished the Tahoe ride in 9hrs. I am a little worried about the Solvang ride as it has a cut off time, but I am going to go at my training more aggressivly for this event. I have a lout of ideas about Mentoring my team on fundraising and staying positive during there experiience. Does anyone want to share there Mentoring ideas with me?

KimPossible

GO TEAM!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...