Team In Training
4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 19, 2008 5:03 PM by Paul RSS

Why do you cycle with TNT

Registered Users
Currently Being Moderated

When I had reconstructive surgery on my ankle at the end of 2003, I was told that my running days were over.  Friends started talking to me about cycling and that I should do the El Tour de Tucson with them in November.  109 miles???? yeah right.  I had not been on a bicycle for ~20 years.  They persisted and I started thinking if I was going to do something like that, I wanted to do something special.  That is when I remembered a friend fund raising for the Dublin Marathon for TNT.  I went to a TNT meeting and that was the beginning of a new passion for me. 

I did that first century in 2003 and have done between 1 and 3 events per year with TNT every year since.  My team mates, mentors and coaches from that first season are some of my best riding buddies still.  John, Joe and Karen taught me everything I needed to know to be successful, rode with me when I wanted to stop, encouraged me when I finished and made riding a blast. 

Every season has special honored team mates and mentees that touch my heart and make me grateful for all that I have.  So many people have asked me about my TNT shirt or wrist band and then told me stories about thier personal experiance's and have shared stories of gratitude for the benefits they have recieved from the LLS.  

• Re: Why do you cycle with TNT
    Paul TNT Coach

Thanks for that testimony to thye program, Glenn.  I will add this:  Look up Gleevec and Dr. Brian Drucker on the internet.  Two years ago the wife of a friend of my was diagnosed with chronic myelogeounous leukemia (don't hold me to the spelling).  10 years ago, her prognosis would have been very poor.  She is alive today and apparently cancer free thanks to Gleevec, a brilliant drug pioneered by Dr Drucker.  Because the population of CML patients is small, there was not a lot of money available from drug companies to develop a drug like Gleevec.  So...Dr Drucker got the majority of his funding from the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.  Now other cancers, besides CML, are being treated with drugs similar to Gleevec.

This is what we are so honored to be a part of.

Registered Users

Why cycle??  WHY NOT!!  I ask you!!!    This is my 1st year with TNT, really looking forward to the experience that is for sure.  The cycling is the easy part for me, CYCLING describes me.

I love it !!  NOW, I am so happy to cycle for a great purpose.  I am amazed by the people who have made donations in the first 30 days.  Such an incentive to Train. 

Our first meeting here in Illinois is Feb 2nd.  This is going to be GREAT!!!

Best of Luck to your all !!!

Registered Users

To Merlingal from Ilinois,

Just wait you're gonna be hooked on TNT.Are you doing Lake Tahoe? If so you're in for a real treat. It's a great ride with a few real challenges.Enjoy and let me know how you do.

Vinnie

Paul TNT Coach

MerlinGal,

Just a guess, but is there any chance that the picture attached to your message is you finishing a climb up Blue Mound in Wisconsin?

Paul Lucey, TNT Cycling Coach

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend