Team In Training
16 Replies Latest reply: Apr 21, 2009 4:45 PM by kimpossible RSS

Tahoe Training

pbrosen Registered Users
Currently Being Moderated

Hi all!  What is your favorite early season training?  Up here in Ohio we focus on Spin classes until (hopefully) the weather breaks.

Phil

• Re: Tahoe Training
    Paul TNT Coach

A lot of our riders in Wisconsin also do spin classes, which are good if they don't beat you up too much. I.e. don't go to the limit for an hour 4 or 5 times a week, week after week in February and March. I'll stop there and assume you know not to overtrain. Suffice it to say, if you train with lots of intensity, you should at least plan a light week of training (meaning only low and medium intensity efforts) for every third or fourth week.

BTW, if the spin instructor leads you in some stretching after class, don't leave early. The flexibility you gain will help.

One more thing I like to do on the weekends, all winter if possible, is get a long "ride" (1.5 to 2.5 hours) of low to medium intensity on a trainer. Just set up your trainer in front of the DVD player or a game on TV, get a couple of water bottles and a snack and peddle away. If you can build up to that now, you will not have a problem with those early road season training distances.

pbrosen Registered Users

Paul

Thanks for the info.  I typically stop the weight training as I get closer to riding season.  I spin 2-3 times per week during the winter months.  I've been cycling for 22 years and only started spin classes 4 years ago. Before that I would ride outside thru the winter.  As far as the calcium issue....are you sure you're not on the Chamber of Commerce payroll?  Take care and I'll look for you out in Tahoe.  Do you have a big Team this year?

Phil

Paul TNT Coach

We have about 40 Wisconsin riders this year. Majority, as usual, from the Milwaukee area.

Where are you from in Ohio?

pbrosen Registered Users

Paul

I'm with the Central Ohio Chapter...Columbus. What types of things do they do in WI to recruit such a large Team?  This is my second Team for Tahoe and it's smaller than the first.  We don't seem to get as much interest as the Tri and marathon folks.

Paul TNT Coach

We are fortunate to have a large group of alumni who ride year after year.  They are also an outgoing group of people who do a lot of recruiting year round.

As coaches, we try to make sure that none of the new folks are left  behind.

Paul TNT Coach

One thing I forgot to add:  get in some running or weight lifting a couple of times a week.  Studies show that over time, non-impact aerobic exercise like cycling and swimming alone, can leach out calcium from your bones.  Impact sports, on the other hand, tend to stimulate bone formation.  It is also a good idea to make sure your diet always includes some calcium rich foods like dairy products.  Of course a coach from Wisconsin is going to say that!

Good luck!

Registered Users

I'm in W. Michigan, and we had our first group training session last Saturday.  Our team mentor is a certified spin instructor, so he led the session, and the local YMCA donates the space.  He went easy on us, as far as spin classes go;  doing an hour of spin 'sprints' isn't what he had in mind.   We spent more time doing 'hills'.

We'll hit the streets after the snow clears and the first hard rain washes all the road crud off the shoulder.  The way it looks, thay may not be till the end of March.;\

pbrosen Registered Users

It's about the same for us here in Columbus, although we hope to hit the road by the second week of March.  When it comes to the wind, rain and, miserable conditions you just have to keep telling yourself that "what doesn't kill you will only make you stronger"   Good luck with your training.

Registered Users

As most of you are experiencing, coming up with new fundraising ideas

can be tough. We have discovered a simple solution and hope you can

help us out. All you we are asking is that you review your favorite

business or businesses in your area. Click on the link: (Or cut and

paste the url)

http://www.insiderpages.com/fundraisers/TNT-CA-Fikes

-Find the "Join The Fundraiser" button on the right side of the page.

Click on it, and then sign up for the insider page profile. Do not

worry, this is not spam. Now simply write a review for a business by

searching in the business search box. If the business is listed, click

on it and then write a review. The site will instruct you on how to

finish. Remember the more reviews you do, the closer to our Goal we get.

1st review is worth $1.50

2nd-4th Reviews are worth $.50

-Although we only get paid on the first 4 reviews, please feel free to write a review for any business you like or dislike.

Kind Regards,

Bryan Fikes

&

Rosanna Parizek

-FYI- We look forward to seeing you on the Point Reyes ride! I hope it turns out like today.

kimpossible Registered Users

I am in the San Francisco area we have nothing but hills and rollers infact we rarely have a flat ride in mind. We ride in the rain and that was interesting as I had no idea that my tires and the person's tires in front of me would make the road yuck go right in my face area. I had to keep the smiling down to a minimum. We are up to our 65 mile now and it is all hills and rollers, our coaches talked about how the other teams in various parts train. I would be worried myself if I trained mostly in doors then challenge the hills that we have worked o quickly. I know it all works they tell me ever ride I complete that I am getting stronger.

pbrosen Registered Users

Kimpossible (great name by the way)

We are finally outside, it's been a long winter here.  Unfortunately we are behind on our mileage because of the weather.  We ride tomorrow and the forecast is for a low of 31 with rain/snow mix!  We have had decent weather the past week with some 70 degree days so we are almost where we want to be on the temp.   It sounds as if your Team is ahead on the mileage.  How many 75 mile training rides do you get in before June 1st?  I usually try for two but it will be difficult to get two in this year.  Will this be your first century?  Tahoe is a beautiful place to ride, you should really enjoy it.

Phil

Phil,

We are getting lots of mileage in our ride schedule on our own is as follows: Tuesday 25 miles, Wednesday 25 to 30 miles, Then team rides on Saturdays and every other Saturday are Buddy Rides. We also can do Saturday and Sunday rides back to back as our area mixes the Tahoe riders with the Seattle to Portland team STP. We have 6 more 75 to 80 milers scheduled and 35 to 40 miles during the week on your own. Next Saturday we are going to Half Moon Bay for the 70 mile. Today's ride  60 mile I believe,weather will be in the 80's.  This is my first year with Team In Training I was going to do the 200 mile STP ride but thought start with something you are familar with. I go to Tahoe all the time and driven around the lake before so I had some idea as to see if it was beyond me or not. I am positive that if I do decide to do this again I am going to get a Road Bike. Right now I am riding my Mountain Bike and I am the only person on my team with a Mountain Bike. I do come in last most times on our rides so my start time is like 7:00 am and that means that I usually have to wake up at 4:30 am to drive to these rides. It must be a mind bender to join in your area knowing or not knowing how the training schedule will be. In our area indoor spin class is not what they want you to do They teach us to be aggressive down hills with breaking techniques. I don't think I ever descended before on street riding at 45mph I was flying but loved it and only wish it lasted longer as another big climb was in front of me. Great to hear from you Phil if you can give me any usefull information I welcome it.

"GO TEAM"

.Kimpossible.

My Favorite early training was the Decending. We conquer many hills and fly down them. Haveing the confidence to fly down them was a great feeling. The turning and the breaking techniques really change the way I have done it. Many people have crashed but no serious injuries to tell. One person did not judge her speed and turning capability and went to turn but took it to wide and went straight into the mountain side.

Kimpossible

pbrosen Registered Users

Kimpossible

Well, it certainly sounds like you're putting in enough miles....more than enough.  I'm sorry to hear that you are riding by yourself and getting lost.  The coach or the assistant coach should be with you, or someone at least.  As far as advice for Tahoe.....I rode it in 2006 and was very impressed with the support and riders.  I will caution you on your downhill speed.  They have had some nasty accidents in years past and I've seen some pretty stupid downhill riding as well.  PLEASE be careful when going downhill.  Keep in mind that you will be on the road with over 3000 riders and you literally need to have eyes in the back of your head.  It can get very congested and you need to know what's around you.  Make sure that you are calling to other riders, i.e..."on your left", "bad road" etc.... These are basic courtesies that your coaches should share with you.  Personally, I would work on your climbing and riding skills, gravity will take care of your downhill speed.  Don't get me wrong, it's important to know how to descend but speed is not important on this ride. You don't need to carry enough speed down one hill to get up the next.....there aren't any rollers.  

Good luck with the rest of your training and keep up the "you can do it attitude" and you'll be fine.  Come over and introduce yourself when we're out in Tahoe.

Phil 

Phil,

Thank you for the great info,I just watched the AMBER video of last years ride and seeing that put it into perspective of how may cyclist are in any given area. We ride this Saturday in Half Moon Bay 70+ miles unlike last Saturday where it was 80 degrees it is going to be cold and windy up in those mountains. I am fully mentally prepared for these rides now and constantly working on the physical. I felt so stupid when I got lost because I did have a map just did not recognize the orientation of the layout. I was with my team as we climbed the huge hill and took off on the decent. Since I passed them they ASSUMED that I went on by myself since we where near our starting point. I passed the starting point and just kept going and it is not uncommon for my group to see much of our team, I had my cell phone but did not get a signal. It was funny as I stood near a sign in Pt. Reyes thinking of where I am when someone in a truck asked me if I needed help I said "I look lost  to you" he said yes and laughed, he showed me the way. I gave them a bad time for overlooking me but I can see why they thought that I had all ready checked in since I passed them but they should have noticed that I did not sigh in, they thought I was in the bathroom or something. My friend came with me that day and she was worried, she and I had a discussion about how I would be nervous if I got off the right road because how would they know where to look for me. I told here it would be easy if it said go left I would have gone right. I told here where I made the wrong turn and she said that is the direction they where headed to look for me.

What location are you again?

I will find your team if I can and introduce myself

And thanks for making me feel a part of this Team In Training cause

I ride for the cause, the fun of it, and to challenge myself

I have learned in a more deeper aspect then before "HOPE" don't give up on it  from my Honorees . I finally don't care if I come in last anymore I am doing it for me and them. I may need to purchase  bike light though...

KImpossible

riding strong to the end

Staying strong to the end

Encourage all along my path

Weather is looking nicer these days but it has mad it difficult to last strong on a 60 miler at 90 degree weather. Thank goodness for the Sag's . We are up to 65 miles now and our teams are coming in 15 minutes apart from each other. So it looks like the staggerd starts worked to keep the team together to the end to experience this whole thing as a team.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend