Team In Training
14 Replies Latest reply: Jun 14, 2011 7:50 AM by CrazyKen RSS

How do you battle hyponatremia? (Low Salt)

CrazyKen Registered Users
Currently Being Moderated

Hi Crazy Ken Here again,

I am looking for some new ideas on battling with hyponatremia (low Salt) during events. So what do you all out there use and when do you use it? AKA after 3 miles, 8 miles, every 40 minutes?

Thanks and GO TEAM!!!B-)

• Re: How do you battle hyponatremia? (Low Salt)
    GoofyRunner Registered Users

First the "official" response, talk to your coach.  They are trained to answer questions like this.  From my experience hyponatremia is usually not often seen, but you might look for gels that have a higher concentration of sodium or use an energy drink in place of water for most of your hydration.

1st Goofyrunner, I like your call sign!

2nd I love my coach and he is my hero, but I work out of the USA for half of every month and as I write this I am sitting with my laptop in the middle of Colombia in South America. So It is hard to ask him right now. That is why I love this web site, we can all learn from each other. I can read a million books, But it is people like you and my coach that have been running Marathons allot longer than me. That I look for lessons learn. For a wise man learns from his mistakes, But a Wiser man learns from others mistakes.

The first year I ran the Disney Marathon I weighed 235 Lbs, the second year last year I weighed 243lbs, in June of the year I weighed over 250 Lbs. I went to have an exam by my doctor who yelled at me !!!!!! !http://community.lls.org/images/emoticons/angry.gif!The I made a life choice to change the way I eat and even thought about food, I now weigh 175 lbs. I have lost over 75 lbs since 18 june 2007. The Doctor did not know but I lost my sister karan to Leukemia 18 June 2006. I watch my father lose his daughter on Father Day in 2006 and I was not going to let him lose his son. (me)

Anyway so my body is different, I am running faster than I ever have in my life and I am trying to make should i don't get over confident or cocky and hurt myself. But it feels great. And beleive me I hear Barry's voice every time I run. Slow down, now push it for 10 minutes, now slow down for 10, Again ! Again Again! The last part you have to watch the movie MIRACLE.  So I learn about hyponatremia (LOW SALT) by making mistakes last year now I am looking for what does others do for it. !http://community.lls.org/images/emoticons/grin.gif! 

Coach_Ed TNT Coach

Ken, congrats on the weight loss.  That's a huge achievement.  You mentioned "mistakes" you made last year.  Do you care to elaborate?

The physical effects of long distance training can vary greatly among athletes.  It's great to hear what others have done, but the key is to find what works for you.  This is why you need to experiment in your training and then stick with what works for your event.  Sports drinks, salt packets/tablets, and gels with electrolytes are all good sources, but some of my athletes prefer pretzels, potato chips, or other salty foods.  Your body does need a balance of electrolytes (sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium, and a few other -iums) for optimal performance.

One of the main causes of hyponatremia is drinking only water, and not ingesting any electrolytes.  Pre-race diet, weather conditions, fitness level, and metabolism are also contributors.  I have known runners who have followed a good taper and pre-race diet who ran great marathons on a basic amount of sports drink and water during the race.  But, this is something they learned through their training.  When your workouts stretch past the 2 hour mark, you should start to really see the effects of things like electrolytes on your performance.  It's at this point that I start my athletes experimenting with things like salt packets to see how it affects their performance.  While all of my athletes are using sports drinks and trying gels that may contain sodium, for our longer workouts I start by recommending a salt packet every 90 minutes.  Once they get a feel for how they respond to various electrolyte sources, they can make adjustments to match their needs.

Keep up the great work.  Go Team!

jerrybs TNT Coach

Krazy ken,

Coach Ed has great advice, each person is different. You should determine your sweat rate and experiment with what your body can handle. I started ultra's last year and learned how to use salt tablets. There are many good articles on the web about the amount of salt the "average" athlete will lose while exercising. Look on these sites http://www.ultrarunning.com/, -[http://www.infinitnutrition.us/] - http://www.kbnutrition.com/ Kim at Kb nutrition will answer your questions. I suggest you keep a training log of what your eat, drink, distance, intensity, temperature, humidity level and how you felt after your training. You will slowly learn what your body needs. To clarify I am not reccomending salt tablets, there are plenty of liquid electrolyte products on the market. Salt tablets work for me because I have a very heavy sweat rate. Especially when hot and humid. I have learned when my stomach feels sloshy, and my heart rate is up, my sodium is low.  I learned this by experimenting.

Good Luck,

Coach Jerry

NoTrebleAtAll Registered Users

I haven't really done any serious workouts in years, so hynoatremia hasn't been a problem and I combat mere dehydration by guzzling water.  However, ten years ago when I did workout hard and often, I would sweat like a pig in a slaughterhouse.

I can only go by my past experience.  I used to cut gatorade 50/50 with water and fill up my bottles with that instead of just water.  I found that mix to have just enough sodium to keep my fluid retention at the right level without having to pee every mile.

Kati'sDad Registered Users

Actually I usually use a 50/50 mix as well during training, but occasionally use full gatorade because come race day you will find some water stops are a watery mix others stronger. I want to know I can handle the sugar.  I have also used Succeed tabs, which are similar to a salt tab, that way I do not have to worry whether I drink in electrolytes.

Registered Users

On top of my serious addiction for Espresso Love flavored GU, I've also developed a habit of hording salt packets.  I make sure I always have a few packets in my hydration belt at all times.

Registered Users

HI,

My walk coach turned me on to Hammer Endurolytes.  Endurolytes help regulate your electrolytes.  It's more than just an issue of replacing salt.

Registered Users

Salt packets but with sugar (candy, gu,etc.) Your transporters need sugar to absorb salt. you'll notice if you take both at once.  Other things like energy drinks have electrolytes in it but if you really really need salt.  salt packets are perfect. But disgusting. 

Med student and marathon runner,

Caitlyn

Hello Caitlyn from Nashville,

That sound like a sweet idea, I am going to try it. I am now on my longer mile workouts did 14 last week and this saturday I am going to go to 16 miles and use your sweet idea. While I was home in Melbourne my coach gave me some new g-packs and they works great by taking them at miles 6 I got a bost by mile 10. But now I am at work out of the USA again and it is hard to stay stocked up on enery packs. But I can get salt and sweets. So I'll let you know Sunday how Saturday Sweat and Salty run goes.

Thanks again for the great Idea.

Crazy Ken

sgaffin Registered Users

Were you diagnosed at an event for having Hyponatremia? I am just asking because that is a supper serious issue and I am wondering if you are confusing it with glycogen debt. Sweet Potatoes before a run will give you plenty of stored carbs to burn. If you want it in synthetic forms than I recommend Accelerade at 4:1 Carb/protien mix or E.F.S. (Electrolyte Fuel System) Liquid Shot that has 1500mg of electrolytes, 400 Cal, and 1000 mg of amino acids. If you are feeling sluggish or cramping up, than the Liquid Shot might do you some good but make sure to have water on hand.

This came about in 2007 when I was training in Colombia, I had lost alot of weight and was able to run faster and longer than ever before. But I got a case of Hyponatremia, becasue I was not use to my new body. But with the help of my coaches in Florida ( Barry and Michele) and the help of people from this post I learned a lot. Best one was somethig I use all the time now when I run here in Afghanistan. Is the one with hard candy diped in water then drop in salt and then rapped back up. Thsi pass January I went home and ran the goffy Marathons with the Central Florida Team in Team Team. I had the time of my life and becasue of all the help I have recieved I had no issues.

Crazy Ken in the Box.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...