The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society - Fighting Blood Cancers
41 Replies Latest reply: Jul 11, 2012 2:19 PM by Tex RSS

Wildfires in CO - Tex?

KyGuy Registered Users
Currently Being Moderated

Tex,

Just wanted to make sure that you're ok.  I heard the fires are in CO Springs.  What's going on?  Did you cause them?

• Re: Wildfires in CO - Tex?
    porciniak Registered Users

Yes, Tex has been in my thoughts all day.  Hope that all are safe. 

pegetha Registered Users

Hey, you guys, Tex posted re his status under "Notice" on the transplant forum.  I don't usually go to that forum, but I opened his thread when I saw his name in the list of recently posted.  Yes, I too, am concerned, and miss your postings when we don't hear from you for a few days, Tex.  Stay safe, and I know lots of folk will be praying for you and your family. 

Tex Registered Users

Hi folks, we're fine.  Jane (Cookie Monster) wrote me earlier and I'll just copy, paste and edit what I wrote back.  No sense re-inventing the wheel. 

Thanks for your concern and well wishes,  I deeply value them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We're in what they call "pre-evacuation," which means we're supposed to get packed up and wait for the evacuation orders to come through, if they do.

Yesterday was a bit tense but today it's more pro forma.  Thing is the fire "only" traveled about six miles in five days.  It's still 11 miles south of us and they are not going to let it get to the Air Force Academy.  Although there are other ways to get here from there, the only real danger to us would be if it got through the Academy and then we'd still be like 8+ miles away from it.

I just don't see it getting here.  The smoke is way down from where it's been.  It's a beautiful day if you're not in the middle of 180+ degree fires.  Lord, you really have to love and respect the people who do this for a living and, especially, those who come in from other towns and states.

Finally, Obama's supposed to be here tomorrow, so they ain't putting him in big danger.  I think that bodes well for our continued safety at the moment.

The entire state's a tinderbox and the 4th is coming.  It won't take much for this to get started all over and closer to home so don't forget about us.

porciniak Registered Users

Well, that is good news!

Tex Registered Users

Over 32,000 people evacuated, around 346 homes destroyed and they found a body in the remains of a house late yesterday.  They don't know the cause but there was a serial arsonist in the area lighting fires all along a stretch of highway a day or two before this fire got started.

I'd say I hope the bastard burns in hell but he'd probably love it.

They haven't identified the body but, since there is a body there, I hope it was a looter instead of an incapacitated resident.  Yes, there's been looting...it shouldn't surprise me and doesn't.  But it makes me sick. 

barlee1 Registered Users

Stay safe, Tex.  Doing a rain dance and sending positive vibes and prayers to the heavens for all of you who are in the fire areas.   I lived in the Rockies out of Denver many years ago and love that area so much.  Best of luck.

Tex Registered Users

Thanks, Lee.  Nice to see a couple of posts from you lately.  Man, your lungs would not like it here.  The one thing we've had from the fire is lots of smoke.  Thankfully, the wind's so variable here it comes and goes this far away.  But I don't like it and my lungs are one of the few organs I have that are disease-free and, possibly, healthy.  That after smoking for 37 years...go figger.

Hope your life is going great, kiddo.  I miss you around here.

Tex Registered Users

Update for anyone interested:

We're going to dodge this one...although I got a robo call from the sheriff's office yesterday reminding us we're still under pre-evacutaion.  It's not going to get near us but, if things went nuts it will be glad to be prepared.

Even professional fireworks are being cancelled this year.  Our little town is well known for a pretty good small town fourth of July and fireworks.  This is going to hurt us economically as it's kind of like our equivalent of "Black Friday."  Thankfully, we don't have a lot of businesses here.  But those who have them are gonna hurt.

As of the last report I heard yesterday, they went from 5% containment to 25% yesterday.  It was cool and cloudy and they were able to make come headway.

Turns out there was a second body in the house and two people who lived had been reported as whereabouts unknown, so I think we can all figure out how that will resolve itself.  If it turns out to be arson, that asshole just got himself a murder one rap.

I guess that's the significant updates.  People are getting to go home, if their home is still standing.  I've seen pictures of the ashes of entire neighborhoods and it looks worse than the tornadoes that leveled half of Oklahoma back in '99.  I was doing disaster work back then and was able to get past the lines and see it all right after the twisters passed through.  It looks like fires is more completely devastating.

I've felt the need to be down there.  I have a pretty unique skill set as a disaster chaplain.  But I get so nervous just thinking about it I'm pretty much disable.  I'm afraid I'd whack out on some kind of PTSD rant and become part of the problem.  Plus, it takes so much energy and I don't know if I have it to give anymore.

Sorry for whining.  But when it comes to disaster, I feel I should be there.  This is tough to accept.

pammartin Registered Users

I was going to ask about you and the fires, thanks Kelly. 

I am glad you are going to escape the disaster, but as you noted you have skills you could put to use.  But to partially quote a member who provides me with continual good advice, selfishness is something we all have to practice to keep ourselves as healthy as possible.  A hard pill to swallow, especially when you have special talents others would benefit from.  Even though you your town escaped the fires, there are many who will need guidance, especially with the town not receiving the 4th crowd for the fireworks.  Give yourself some credit, you can stay inside your house and never walk out the door and help people.  I see it all the time on here and I am on the receiving end of your guidance.  You have lots to give and continue to do so, we are all in disaster mode here, and you are one of the people that always try to put the pieces back together.

Tex Registered Users

Thank, Pam.  Very nice words and I appreciate them, if I don't deserve them.

Yes, I know I do something here in the house.  But those folks are my neighbors.  That's what's always been my motivation in these things.  But just writing about the possibility of going makes me jittery.  I should probably see a shrink about PTSD.  I don't have it bad, if at all right now, but if it's stopping this, it's debilitating enough.

Thanks

CookieMonster Registered Users

Hiya Tex,

Thanks for the update, I was wondering what was up with you.  I've been reading the events on the internet and saw some photos that were awful and some that made me scratch my head wondering.  For instance, houses burned to the ground and the one next to it, seemly not touched. 

I understand your feeling the need to be down there helping, yet you still know yourself well enough to see that it probably isn't the right thing for you to do today.  That takes wisdom and discernment that you are exercising, at least that is how I see it.  You may not like it, but for today that may be how it is, yes?

I'll continue to lift you up.

Blessings,

Jane

Tex Registered Users

Thanks, Jane.  I appreciate all of you "listening" to my whining and complaining.  I try not to do it often but some things still get to me.  At least this way I won't be boring my wife with it.

barlee1 Registered Users

So glad you may escape the fires.  You are right about the smoke and my lungs...that would be very bad indeed.  I lurk here from time to time but mostly read the GVHD Listserve posts on another site since that is more pertinent to my issues.  I totally understand your mixed emotions about offering your assistance.  Maybe there is a need for an online support system for fire victims, such as this discussion forum.  I could easily see you doing that.  Or a book?  Just thinking out loud here.  My best.

Tex Registered Users

I was asked if I'd be willing to write a book on disaster chaplaincy but was in the middle of getting my nonprofit off the ground and I just didn't have time.  Now no one wants the book.  Maybe there will be a renewed interest.  Still, I'd pretty much have to plagiarize my ass off to write one.  Not sure I want that headache, especially since the plagiarism would mostly be from friends. 

I've got a book or two in me.  I don't know if I'll ever find the focus to get them written.  It would be nice to leave something.

Thanks, Lee.  I still miss having you around.

You ever get that apple fritter?

KyGuy Registered Users

Glad to hear that you escaped the evacuation.  Don't let yourself feel guilty - take care of yourself.

Stay save.

Tex Registered Users

Thanks, not so much guilt as frustration, I guess.  Hell, I don't know.

Fire now 55% contained.  That's good, huh?

Yahoo!  Things moving in the right direction . . . go firefighters! 

". . .  not so much guilt as frustration, I guess.  Hell, I don't know."   Acceptance I say.  Don't listen to that "other" voice, ok?  

Blessings,

Jane

Tex Registered Users

Thanks, Jane.  I wish it was that easy.  That other voice is really loud and has been ever since I first cratered.

But, hey, I'm dealing with it.  A big part of that is simply posting about it here instead of whining at my wife about it.  She hears enough of that from me as it is.  

I am fairly sure your wife has a boat load of tolerance and acceptance.  But I am glad you do post on here, first gives us the chance to support you, it is usually in reverse, and second it shows others even though you are always here and supportive, you have your demons just like everyone else.  Human, being that is not always a grand time, is it?   'Other voice go away don't come back another day'  (Didn't work for the heat either but I thought I would try, just in case).

KyGuy Registered Users

pammartin wrote:

I am fairly sure your wife has a boat load of tolerance and acceptance.

Either that or she's deaf and hasn't told him yet.

Tex Registered Users

KyGuy wrote:

pammartin wrote:

I am fairly sure your wife has a boat load of tolerance and acceptance.

Either that or she's deaf and hasn't told him yet.

Nope, she hears fine.  I think it's pity.

Geez, every time I am having a feel bad for myself day I come on here and you guys make me laugh.  How dare you ruin my perfectly good pity party.  (and thank you) 

Jeri Registered Users

Been thinking lots about you Tex ~ and am so thankful you're ok!  What a tragedy out there.  My sister lives in Peyton, but used to live in Co Springs, south of AF Academy.  Apparently her old house and neighborhood are gone.  So sad for all the people who lost so much. 

Hugs, Jeri

Tex Registered Users

Yeah, it is really tough on those folks going through this.  Some of the things we see on the local coverage are so heartbreaking it makes you sick.

Thanks for thinking of us, Jeri.  I hope you and John are doing well.

Jeri Registered Users

We're doing very well, thanks for asking.  John just had his 4 year since dx checkup and is doing amazing.  He rode another 106 mile TNT ride in early June.  Despite all the fires, are you doing well?  I've been very bad about being on the boards.  Seems there's so few people I recognize anymore.  I'm not sure if that's a good thing or bad?

Tex Registered Users

It's a good thing, Jer.  People are getting healed and moving on with their lives.  You've been well long enough that you don't know a lot of the folks who are here now.

That's all good.

I'm really happy for you both.  John's kicking ass.  I told you he would.

I'm okay.  Nothing new, SSDD.

Do be sure to drop by from time to time.  I like to hear from you.

Jeri Registered Users

I do drop by every now and again, mostly to check and see you and Kelly are ok, and I have DJ on my FB, and semi-keep up with Jane CM, so I know how they are.  I just don't post very much (guess that makes me a stalker, lol).  Been burnt out on illnesses ~ lost my Dad on March 1st to multiple illnesses, latest issue seemed to be lung cancer.  Was a painful end ~ he became mean and lost his mind, which was terrible as he was a very intellectual person.  I miss him a lot.

Tex Registered Users

pammartin wrote:

(Didn't work for the heat either but I thought I would try, just in case).

If nothing else, you've now added your own rhyme to the thread.

Hey Tex,

Didn't see your reply until now, at least not all of it got to my e-mail inbox.  Anywho, what does "cratered" mean?  I don't mean to be dense, but I guess I am now. lol

And that voice, I never said not listening to it would be easy.  I suppose my stating it the way I did made it implied, sorry.  Be careful not to nurture it though, just because it is loud like a squeaky wheel.  No grease for that voice. 

I'm glad you feel comfortable "whining" here so we can lift you up.  Determination, isn't that the word we like to use to combat our issues.  Can't be positive all the time and don't want to be negative all the time (would be easy to do, at least for me).  Grew up with fear and negativity and have had to work hard at seeing my glass half full and with practice and the good Lord's help, find it much easier now.  It is harder some days than others.  Having lost a beloved cat in January, a dear friend and confident in February, and my dad in May and my hubby with no work . . .  whaaaaaa!  See, it is easy. LOL  Life is sometimes just plain old tough . . . now where is that EASY button I see advertised?  <starts looking through the cupboards>  OH, that's right . . I don't have one, they don't really exist. 

I'm sure glad we're all here for one another. 

Blessings for sure,

Jane

Jeri Registered Users

Hugs Jane, and thank you so much for calling the other day! ~ Jeri

Tex Registered Users

CookieMonster wrote:

Anywho, what does "cratered" mean?

Did I use that in the letter?  I usually use it to describe something that's completely wrecked.  I don't know where it comes from, somewhere in my past it was a part of the vernacular.

I didn't think you were implying it would be easy, nothing to apologize for.  But part of the whining is that I wish it was easy.  If I'm going to whine, I'm going to do a thorough job.

Otherwise, nothing to worry about.  I prefer to get it all out of my system in a big flash than let it continue and consume my life.  And, thanks, for turning my words against me.  You little...

I've really appreciated your concern over this whole fire mess.  Thanks

Marnie Registered Users

Hey, Tex. . .now I'm caught up on this.  I had assumed for years that you live in Texas.  Anyway (posting this just minutes after answering your question to me on the other thread). . .glad to hear that you were not directly impacted by the fire. . .I guess by that I mean burned out. . .and that things have calmed down in your area, though the cleanup and rebuilding will go on for quite some time, and the beautiful hillside will be scarred for many years. 

I guess I need to start checking out other areas of this site.  I pretty much stick to the cml threads. 

All the best. . .glad to know that you are a fellow Coloradoan, as I have held you in high regard ever since reading some of your down-to-earth and insigtful posts when I first joined this club.

Marnie

Hi Marnie,

I admit to hanging out in the Let's Just Talk board more often.  With the spammers and the sorting through what little credible posts are around, I try to help when I can, but these guys make me laugh.  Even when I don't want too.

Tex Registered Users

Marnie,

I am from Texas but that really doesn't explain my user name.  It's a name my step-son and I used in a role-playing game when he was a kid.  But I lived in Dallas for 32 years, OKC for 20 and here for five.  I like it here but it's a different world than where I developed and hit middle age.

Thanks for the kind words.

Jeri Registered Users

Wow Tex, have you really been in CO 5 years already?!  I recall when you were moving and it doesn't seem that long ago, but I was also shocked that I just had my 7 year anniversary since dx, and being on these boards.  I can recall when I first came on here, and meeting DJ and Robyn and they were around the disease time phase where I am now, and being so inspired by them!  Where did the time go? 

Tex Registered Users

I have absolutely no freakin' idea.  Seems it really does move faster the older we get.

Yeah, we moved here at the end of June in '07 so that puts us here right at five years.  I'm still trying to adjust to the thin atmosphere,

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...