The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society - Fighting Blood Cancers
5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 25, 2012 4:08 PM by bella1966 RSS

common RCHOP symptoms/side effects for treatment for follicular lymphoma?

bella1966 Registered Users
Currently Being Moderated

hello

my 41 year old brother is getting ready to start 6 rounds of RCHOP for follicular lymphoma. His docs have said that side effects are all across the board from being bed ridden to being able to go run three miles a day. i am wondering what those of you who have gone through RCHOP have experienced as the most common side effects.

thank you,

arbella parrot

• Re: common RCHOP symptoms/side effects for treatment for follicular lymphoma?
    JohnnyB Registered Users

Arbella,

First of all, I am sorry about your brother.  I went through the same 6 round treatment of RCHOP seven years ago.  And yes the side effects can be quite varied.  I was both tired and sort of wound up for the first few days after the infusion.  Then it settled down, but I took it easy for about a week after each infusion, and tended to stay inside away from the general public.  I never had diarrhea, but did have constipation.  I also had indigestion, but I had that before I started the treatment.  I had a high fever one night, went to the ER, hung out there for a few hours while my temp dropped.  After about 10 or 12 days, I went back to work for about a week or so before I went to the next infusion.

People have side effects all over the map.  In my opinion, it is most important to take it easy, and listen to your body. 

Take care,

John B.

FRAN641 Registered Users

Arbella, I am also sorry your brother has this diagnosis.  I finished up R-CHOP last October for DLBC in my pancreas.  While it was no bed of roses it is doable.  I only had a 3 month remission and with the first cancer, fNHL all over my body, I received R-CVP.  The biggest problem I had by far was fatigue. No matter how much rest I had I still was dragging around.  I am retired so working was not an issue and my family and church friends pitched in with the house work and such.  I felt like I had the flu for about 10 days then I would feel better till time for the next treatment. I only had 4 CHOPs then 20 radiations. 

I will keep  your family in my prayers. 

Fran

RoyPatti Registered Users

Hi, I am sorry to hear of your brother's diagnosis.  I have had NHL for over 17 years.  The newer drugs available have been wonderful.  There are also medicines for most, if not all, the side effects your brother may experience.  Don't be shy to ask about them.  Why be uncomfortable if there is something available.  Even if it seems minor, and he doesn't want to complain, speak up, tell the doc or nurses, and I find they are more than happy to help.  Best of luck to your brother, I will keep you in my thoughts. Patti

Inga Registered Users

Hi Arbella--I am also so sorry about your brother's diagnosis too, but you are doing a great job, and this is a great group to turn to for support. It has been so helpful for me. I am 43 and have stage IV follicular (intermediate grade), am halfway through R-CHOP. In the beginning I was running but was advised to stop because one day I had an electrolyte issue and felt lightheaded and awful. I still want to run but just stick to daily long walks. My side effects are fatigue, nausea, and allover body aches, including my mouth, and lower back pain. But the medicines have been great! My husband, friends, neighbors have helped me with babysitting, cooking, chores, and errands. I don't go out in public, and we do a lot of handwashing--I even wear a mask sometimes, especially when my kids are sick. Please keep us posted on your brother. Thinking of you.

• common RCHOP symptoms/side effects for treatment for follicular lymphoma?
    bella1966 Registered Users

hi all, so my brother is starting chemo today...ugh. he is contemplating doing rchop 14 vs 21 (every 2 weeks vs 3) anyone done that? seems sort of harsh to me, but wanted to see what anyone's experience has been. He is also being asked to get a prophylactic chemo to the brain administered through spinal fluid...(in addition to RCHOP)...did anyone have this and if so how bad was it?? his doc is making it out to seem like he will have little to no side effects and be fine which i hope so but find unbelievable.

thanks again.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...