The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society - Fighting Blood Cancers
9 Replies Latest reply: Jun 23, 2012 1:37 PM by olskool721 RSS

8 Years & Counting !!

donniew Registered Users
Currently Being Moderated

Just a note of encouragement to you all, those suffering with AML. Today is my 8 year "complete remission" anniversary. I was very sick and in a bunch of turmoil 8 years ago, but I made it through with the help of my friends, family, caring medical professionals, and, most importantly, my faith in Jesus. This is my hope for you - that you can be writing this entry for you or your loved ones as they survive year after year. My heart and prayers go out to all of you. God bless.

http://aml.donniew.com

Psalm 71:17-18

Since my youth, God, you have taught me, and to this day I declare your marvelous deeds. Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, my God, till I declare your power to the next generation, your mighty acts to all who are to come.

• Re: 8 Years & Counting !!
    Zann Registered Users

Donnie: Thanks for posting, I have also read your link. I was diagnosed with AML Nov 2011 and have found this site to be a wealth of information and support. I have just finished my 3rd consolidation round and have been feeling like I am "wondering in the valley" for awhile. Your post and link have encouraged me and I thank you for it. I know Christ is carrying me through this and I know what you mean about meeting people on the way that seem like they were put there just when I needed them. I have T(3,11) which my Oncologist classifies as "moderate risk". I am following the chemo only road for now. So wonderful to hear that you are 8 years out! Congratulations!

Take Care,

Suzanne

willowbayfarm Registered Users

Congrats on 8 years!  Thanks for sharing your story - we can always use some inspiration around here.

- WBF

Tex Registered Users

Geez, Donnie.  It doesn't seem that long ago we were celebrating number 7.  You jerking around with the calendar?

Congrats.  I'm proud of you.  And we always appreciate you popping in.  Maybe someday you can sit awhile?

Blessings

olskool721 Registered Users

Thanks for the encouraging words. I have a deep faith that my process of healing after a BMT to treat my AML is ordained by God. My donor is my sister, and we're eight years apart in age. Our family is truely bless in this since, according to doctors, after I was born, my mom wa not going to be able to have any more kids....God thought better and three decades later, she saved her big brother's life....I feel that I can realistically plan on being here for a while...(huge smile!). Than God for all his blessings. Have faith to all

cindylusby Registered Users

I, too, was truly blessed!     I am 22 years and counting!

I just joined this site yesterday.  When I clicked on AML your post was one to come up.  Just thought I should add to it for encouragement to all those out there currently in treatment.

I left the hospital at age 43 and am now 65.  NEVER GIVE UP!

alwayshopeful Registered Users

Cindy

How wonderful - did you have a transplant or just go the chemo route?

cindylusby Registered Users

I just went the chemo route. I checked into the hospital early November 1989 and got out March 1990.  I was allowed to go home for a week at Christmas after the induction therapy and again a week in February between consolidation therapies.  Fortunately, I didn't have to have a transplant (neither of my sisters were a match).

It was indeed a tough 5 months.  That was before Zofran and some of the other anti-nauea drugs they use now. They were still learning a lot about how different individuals would respond to the various drugs, antibiotics, etc. Fortunately, I used the mounth wash from day 1 so didn't experience thrush like some people. When I had the first consolidation my eyes watered 24/7 so the next treatment they used powerful eye drops from day 1 and not a problem. Some of the antibiotics had nasty side effects and the chemo gave me hives even after being pre-medicated. The blood products had to be washed, filtered and eradicated before I could take them. During the 3rd session I ran fevers that were off the charts. I have never prayed so much in my life. Obviously, God listened and it was not his plan for me to join him quite yet.

I mentioned a few of the problems above not to scare a newly diagnosed patient but to let them know they have made numerous advancements over the past 20 years and also to tell them no matter how rough it may seem at the time NEVER GIVE UP!.  Positive thinking, imagery and faith will hopefully pull you through and make you a survivor.  I am looking forward to seeing more post over the years to come that show 10 and 20+ years of survival. 

May God Bless all of you going through this disease. 

olskool721 Registered Users

I had a transplant, after chemo the second time. I was first diagnosed in 2010. Then the cancer came back in 2011. So I am truly grateful that I am still here! Always hopeful is a great moniker. That's how I am linin' today. Be blessed and keep hope alive; faith goes along way in this fight.

JBT Registered Users

Thanks Donnie for sharing and congratulations!  I am 46 and will be 3 years soon and I still struggle with gvhd....fatigue, stomach, stiffness, pain in joints, ...you get the idea.  Sometimes it's bad enough to definitely make me worry that I will never be past these lingering effects.  I know my Lord is with me but encouragement from all here in the LLS community is helpful. Again thanks for sharing.

My best,

JT

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...