Should I cancel or postpone my international travel plan? I've been diagnosed with CML last week and will start on Sprycel soon. After learning about side effects and how important the onc. needs to monitor me, I begin to wonder/worry whether I should cancel or postpone my travel plan. I will be in South East Asia in 15 days after taking Sprycel. I'm also very worried about side effects and won't be able to care for my children while my husband is out of town for a business trip.
Is it likely the onc. would change the medicine within the first 15 days if the side effects bother me? I can't imagine having these side effects on a plane trip for 27 hours (4 airplanes).
I always check with my hematologist before planning a trip and am usually guided by them. Mine make a special effort to accommodate life, and will generally avoid changing or introducing medication before a planned trip. And they have advised me in the past to cancel trips when, in their view, there was a need for immediate treatment (but promised me, and delivered, another window for the trip).
So talk to him or her, and follow their advice.
Thank you for the advice. My oncologist said it was okay to travel the day he told me I had CML but I'm just wondering whether I should or I shouldn't travel.
Visiting my home country in South East Asia is always a treat to me, however, this time is different. Though, I'm trying to be the same person and remain positive, some of my family members or in-laws might not understand why I would be so tired (side effects from taking meds.). But I'm not going to worry about that much. I'm excited to go see my mom and my siblings whom I haven't seen in two years.
Don't cancel. My husband was diagnosed with CML over 6 years' ago and we have traveled constantly since his initial diagnosis. We actually had travel plans for the Caribbean at the time of his initial tests, and his hematologist encouraged us to keep our plans and we have kept going ever since. From Gleevec to Sprycel to Tasigna we've kept flying and have been to China, Russia, Europe, and the Caribbean many times. My husband is PCR undetectable now but we've never canceled a trip no matter what his numbers are. . The only preparation we do is to take double the number of pills needed for the trip, each of us taking a trip's worth in our carry-on, so if one bag is lost there is an equal amount in another bag that will cover the trip. Good luck..
If it was me, knowing what I know now (diagnosed three years ago), I would start on a half dose and stay there until you return from your trip. It could lessen the impact of any side effects you might have, and you may find that the half dose is plenty effective against the cml. If you're in the chronic phase (not sure if you are) the cml moves rather slowly, so I personally wouldn't worry about a few weeks.