Team In Training
61 Replies Latest reply: May 10, 2012 12:14 PM by rdweatherly RSS

Why did you join Team in Training?

CrazyKen Registered Users
Currently Being Moderated

Hi Name is Ken,

I am with the TNT Team  in Melbourne FL., I work out of country allot but I love my Team and what they stand for. God bless you all!

The first year I joined Team in Training was in 2005 to raise money by running the 26.2 run (the Disney World Marathon). It was because my sister Karan called me and let me know she had Leukemia, I did not know what to do to help; I tried to become a donor but was not able to, then I learned about Team In Training (TNT) and how they raise money to help people with leukemia and the research to fined a cure, then I joined. And it was painful but with the help of the coaches I made it.

Then the second year I was not going to do it again but Karan had a fall back, so I jump on a flight back home to see her on 17 June 2006 and she ask me if I was going to do it again. I promised I would and 10 hours later she died.

She finally got to see me run with all the angels in heaven. They must have had a good laugh a 243 lb man running 26.2 miles, but I made it again this time with the help of my cusin Carla and her daughter two angels from Michagan. Again the pain I made it and we raised $3000.00 with the help allot of people giving what ever they could.

This year I found myself with a work schedule that would not let me run it, so I said (well I can’t). Then one night while I was running I was thinking about Karan and I thought I heard something, it was like god was talking to me. It said Karan is gone, But what about all the others? All the others out there with blood cancer are you going to not do something for them, what about the little kids.

So I called my manager and he told me we would work it out so I could have the time off to run for the others and that is why I am it again and again that others may live.

Goddard said: "It is difficult to say what is impossible, for the dreams of yesterday are the hopes of today, and the realities of tomorrow."

We can do this ! Thank You

• Re: Why did you join Team in Training?
    Registered Users

I joined The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s Team in Training

program in honor of my boyfriend, Dan.  Dan was diagnosed with acute myelogenous

leukemia (AML) a year and a half ago and underwent chemotherapy, radiation, and a bone

marrow transplant.  Throughout his many

stays in the hospital, Dan’s strength and endurance have always shined.  With a big smile that never seems to fade,

Dan is truly my hero. 

I love him so much, I have no idea what I would do without him in my life!  Whenver I have a bad day, it can never be bad as his!

Victoria, Chicago, IL

Hi Victoria,

Dan is truly and hero and he is lucky to have a wonderful woman next to him that loves and gives him cheer. You are the one that puts that smile on his face. The treatments are hard, harder than anything we could train for. But the love you give to him and your drive to stop this thing that try's to take our love ones from us, gives him hope. For a wise man said: "It is difficult to say what is impossible, for the dreams of yesterday are the hopes of today, and the realities of tomorrow."

Killing this Cancer of the blood is not impossible, it is becoming a reality with each step we take and with each dollar we raise. We as a Team can Achieve this.

Thank you for being a HERO and for making dreams and hopes become Realities!

CrazyKen Melbourne, FL

GoofyRunner Registered Users

Hey Ken, we sound similar in that I also joined when my sister was diagnosed with Leukemia.  After the first (also Disney) I promised her I would run again if she promised to be there to cheer me on.  Turns out she wound up in the hospital receiving my stem cells during that 2nd marathon (actually marathon and a half, the Goofy Challenge) and passed away shortly thereafter.  My last promise to her was to keep doing this until either we beat the cancer or my legs give out, which I won't let happen.

I also have a similar fav quote, by Walt Disney "It's kind of fun to do the impossible"

Hi Mike,

Yes we are alike and I am sorry for your lose, I wrote this letter last year to all my friends after I lose my sister. Some of my friends tell me isn't it embarrassing to ask for money, and I say NO! I would gladly give up my pride to save a life. I don't care what people think of me or if they think it is impossible, Because I know it is not impossible.

Hi this is Ken Richardson,

Let me ask you a Question.

If someone or in my case something killed your Brother, Sister, Mother, Father, or Kid.  What would you do?

On 18 June 2006 at 0300 Leukemia Killed my sister. I watched my Mom cry as she tried to think of how to stop this and Dad hands shake as he saw his daughter dieing before him and there was nothing he could do. I thought about my little girl and what she means to me, Then I stop thinking about myself and I felt this pain that my dad must have been feeling; it was the worst thing I could ever feel or think of happening (this was his baby girl) and for this to happen on Fathers day. I could not say a word, I could stop their pain, I couldn't do anything. But there is something I can do and something you can do. Help me fight this war against Blood Cancer. So please help save a life.I am fighting to kill it or stop it from killing anymore and you can help.

Yes This Is A Chain Letter! However This is your chance to save lives!

Chain letters = Chain letters are a waste of time unless you are doing something useful or helpful for others; they don't being you good luck or bad luck. If you want to be useful or helpful then send this out to everyone you know. Not 5 people, not 10 people; but everyone you know.

Thanks Again Mike for we have both made the same promise, I cry sometimes when I run, but not because of any pain of my own. It is for the pain that others are having, the real hero's; the ones going through the treatments and that are so strong smiling at us and telling us it is going to be alright.

BarryB TNT Coach

I joined because I needed to do something positive after my sister was diagnosed with CML.

6 years later we are still here, because my sister is a Gleevec patient doing great.

and because of folks like Crazy Ken

Barry,

GOD BLESS YOU; FOR YOU HAVE TOUCHED SO MANY PEOPLE AT SOME MANY POINTS. I KNOW YOU GET TIRED OF HEARING IT. BUT WE ALL MEAN IT!  THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR THE PUSHING US TO TRAIN, FOR ENDURING COLD/HOT/RAINING/WINDING EARILY MORNING SATURDAYS , FOR HELPING US ACHIEVIE WHEN PEOPLE THINK THEY ARE TOO TIRED TO MAKE IT AND FOR MAKING LIFE MATTER. 

SATURDAY I WAS HAVING A BAD DAY, BUT IT WAS NOTHING COMPARED TO A PERSON WITH CANCER HAS OR A FAMILY MEMBER HAS.

THANKS AGAIN! GO TEAM!!!

KEN

Registered Users

Ken,

Well it looks like it won't be hard to keep in touch after all.  I got your phone number and now your TNT site, so looks like we can be together in this fight against blood cancer for as long as it takes my friend!  I just wanted to say another big and sincere THANK YOU for your help during the 2008 Disney Marathon!  You were an awesome teammate to have and I enjoyed every minute of the time we got to spend together.  Never lose your sunny outlook on life, you are an inspiration to more people than I think you may realize!  Also, congratulations on running an awesome race and dropping your time by TWO HOURS!!!  That is AWESOME!!!

God Bless You!

Kyle Durr                                                                               

KDurr@cfl.rr.com

Kyle,

You did great and it was great watching you run the marathon and meet people as you ran. As I told you before the run you will meet all kinds of great people and you are now one of them, for you did not just run for yourself ; But you ran that others may live. You made a differance in someone else's life! You made you world a better place! You saved the life of a Child, or a Mom,Dad, brother, sister, daughter, or someone son. I am proud to call you my friend. I am out of country again working, but I am only as far as a computer. I can't wait to see you run again! How are your legs and feet. Pack ice in bags and rap around your knees, it will help. Start slow next week. But walk as much as you can for now.

Thank you again and remember Just 1 Can Make a Differance! Because you just did.

Thanks Ken

kimpossible Registered Users

I take spin class's and a lady whom I did not know asked me if I wanted to go to a meeting with her about Team In Training. I told her that I have been wanting to do one of the events listed on the flyer I get all the time in the mail but could never get my friends interested in it with me and I wanted to do it together. I went to the meeting with her and got totally jazzed about the whole thing and I decided that I will just sign up and think about my friends issue later. I wanted a challenge in my life that I would have to commit to and let nothing get in the way of it and not be able to back out of if it got to hard. This was the perfect thing for me to do. And now that I am reaching the end of my training for the 100 mile Tahoe ride I know why I joined and I have figured out the answer to the question that I get from my friends who left me hanging. I learned that there is always hope and Inspiration. The will to never give up. I ride with people who are going threw chemo sessions and look frail at times who pass me on the rides with big smiles and inspiring words to encourage me to continue. They are strangers no more and I love them.

Kimpossible

GO TEAM

Registered Users

I was runner, with a tri coach, until November 14, 2006; I was diagnosed with AML. I kept telling the doctors something was wrong. I just felt like I wasn't getting enough air in my lungs. It felt like the first mile never ended. All of you runners, I am sure you can relate to what I am talking about...my coach who was in outstanding shape, he even was chosen to be a torch bearer during the Salt Lake Olympics, as conditioned as we both were, we used to joke and say, "it doesn't matter how good of a runner you are, the first mile sucks!" But then, you find your rythm and it feels sooo good.

I feel confident that when most of you run, you have felt someone like me, running with you, at every event.   So, while you are running with someone dear to your heart, you help so many other people in the process.  It's beautful <smile>.   Thank you.

My last hospital stay was in June 07. I came off the pain meds (early, yeah!) around Oct 07. So while I am very fortunate, the AML and chemo really did a number on my body.  My Doctor told me it is taking me a little longer than most to get back, because of my body's reaction to the trauma and chemo. I am just starting to feel better, April 08. I can't wait to get back the beautiful tone I once had in my muscles. (I really think the chemo eats all of the protein or something from the muscles. I don't know).

In addition, to saying thank you..... My point to telling you all about my love of running and how my prognosis is progressing, is to let each of you know, that you inspire me too!   I can't wait to see you all one day on a TEAM run.

Hi Thank you for fighting, living and inspiring! This is for you, God Bless

Dare to Dream

Choose a wish, find a dream

Pick a wishing star, Let your hopes and spirits soar High and free and far.

Reach for the unreachable,Stretch to touch the sky

Know no dream you treasure Is too far away or high

Believe in the impossible,Then work and try and do

For only those who dare to dream

Can make a dream come true

Thank you Crazy Ken

BarryB TNT Coach

It is an honor and a pleasure to run with you.  Keep us in the loop on your recovery.

We are going to run until there is no longer a need for us to run, I can't wait for that day. This is a lot of work, but you make it all worth it.

Registered Users

You guys are great!  Thank you for your kind words.  I promise you I can't wait to get back out and run.  Not for myself, but for the two 19 yr olds that lost their battle to Leukemia, that were my friends in the hospital, and the so many others.  I could go on about the stories that just don't make sense.  I am sure many of you can too.  I am sorry for your personal loses. 

Heck, I wish we could just find a cure for a bone marrow biopsy.

Being positive is the main thing, I truly believe that with all that I am.  In fact, the doctors were kinda taken aback.  I looked at them and said, okay, what's Plan A?  If Plan A doesn't work, then what's Plan B?  Lets fight!  Don't get me wrong, after I left I must have stayed in a hot shower for hours crying and letting my self just be.

I tried to keep running in the begining, you know, wanting things remain as normal as possible.  Until, I got up in the middle of the night and just fell.  Chemo does something to the muscles.  Then, as time progressed, it was obvious, that just walking to the bathroom became a chore.

I have come along way from those days, and I will keep you guys abreast of my progress.  I am from Dallas, Texas.  I don't know how many of you are familiar with Dallas, but for the most part, its true, their seems to be kind of a true John Wayne grit to natives.  Pardon my explicative here, it was my way to have humor with the situation, but I think you can summize what I mean.  So, my grit was....Hey, if Lance Armstrong can beat brain, lung, and testicular cancer...I got balls, I can beat this.

Like I said, I can't wait to be running along side you guys!  In fact, let me rephrase that statement, I will be running along side you guys soon!  What you guys (guys means girls too) do is admirable, my hats off to you!  Believe me what you do helps, The Leukemia Society contacted my within days asking me what I needed.  You just don't know how important something like that is, until it happens to you.   Things you don't even think about, like letters to utility companies, or parking accommodations, help with prescriptions if you need it.  Remember, disability doesn't automatically kick-in.  Night caps so you head doesn't freeze off at night when you have lost your hair.  A knowledgeable person to call regarding questions about treatment, options, or resource information.   Believe me it helps.

Again, my hats off to you!   What you do matters! 

Why did we join TNT?  You are the answer keishapc ! You are the brave warrior out there that leads us and inspires us to fight together and together we can and will beat these.

Barry has been my coach and mentor for how I want to be in life for the last three years, he too is a great warrior not for himself but for others. I think god for the day I meet barry, michele, joy , john, and everyone I have had the honor of meeting in TNT.

Keishapc you are part of the biggest family on the earth. You are not alone, it is okay to be afraid, it is okay to cry.  Next sunday I will be 44 years old and I cry. I cry when I read people storys, when some beats this thing, when we lose a battle, When it is raining and I know if I don't get to the saturday run Michele and Joy will beat me down. lol

Just know our prayers, hearts, souls, and legs are with you.:)

Thank you for living, fighting, and for just being you.

Not so crazy  but very honor to read your words Ken for Florida

BarryB TNT Coach

Keisha D , get ready to run.

Like I said, like you said, you run with us. We sometimes run by our selves, be we never need to run lonely. Our team is going out for an 18 miler Saturday and you will be going with us. We won't need  to fire the  starting pistol, your post will be the only motivating sound we need. And your post will be read at 6:45 A.M. EST

So Kesha, around 8:00 a.m. EST Saturday, you may start to feel a little fatigued. That is because you will have just passed about the 10 mile spot with Brevard's Best.  When you feel that bit of fatigue, just say come on Brevard, show me your stuff, it isn't like your going  through chemo. So pick it up, do your best.!  (we will probably need a repeat of this every 1/2 hour or so until about 10:30ish )

And for the rest of you on this BBS you need to take Kesha's post and spread her words far, long, and LOUD. We are so lucky, if we don't run it is of our own choosing and often times it is because we are human and face it, somtimes we can be a bit lazy. What if the reason we didn't run was because, our bodies are unable to?  When you "don't feel like running" remember your reason for running. It is for those that want so desperately to run, but can't. That should be enough reason to show some balls and get out on the pavement.

Battle on warriors we are all going to beat this thing... together.

My Body won't be with Brevard's Best  for the run on Saturday,  But my heart and soul will be with you as I am in the most southern part of  Brevard. (My 44 th B-Day is Sunday and I asked my bose if I could just have the morning of saturday for it so I can run)  So  I will read Keisha's post  at the same time you are,then say a prayer and then run.

I hear your adivce when I run. I heard Michele when I streach before I run, and I hear Joy saying run on the other side of the road when you turn around.  I never feel alone when I run.

Anyway you did it again, made me cry this morning when I read your post. Keisha,  you are not just running with a group of great people. You are running with Barry the best coach and Man I have ever of having the honor of knowing. Thank You Both for keeping me Inspired.

Barry I will have your Coffee at the 20 mile run.!!!!

Just Ken

Registered Users

Well, I did it! I sent the proposed shoe idea to Nike and Lance Armstrong's LIVESTRONG President, Doug. Who know's maybe we might have the opportunity to see this come to fruition. Thanks for the picture Ken! If, anything the issue of cancer awarness was pushed forward. I read Lance Armstrong is getting ready for his big summit, pushing the issue. Yeah, Lance!!

Anyway, sharing the shoe thing with you all gave me the inspiration to move.... So, below is a copy of my conversation with Kim, at Nike, and Doug, at LIVESTRONG. (FYI...I sent an email to ASIC, as well, but not sure who it ended up with, or if it was in the correct language for that matter.)  The note starts at the bottom, with you guys, then moves up with Nike, until the top message, marked 4:55 PM with LIVESTRONG.  Sorry, in advance if it takes up to much room, but I wanted to share it you, my new friends. 

h6. *Keisha D. *
              April 24th, 2008 at 4:55 pm
                   As you will read from my note below I had a brain storm the other night. Unfortunately, Chemo Brain kicked in, and I did not mention Livestrong Foundation, until my second note. Again, sorry, I am with you to help further the cause of Livestrong.

-

h6.
                   Thank you for contacting Nike. Below is a summary of your message and our response. We appreciate the portunity to be of service to you.
              h6.

+ Please pass this the to marketing and product development, etc.......
              +
                   Discussion Thread
                   + -
              +
                   + Response (Kim) - 04/24/2008 03:25 PM+
                   + Hi Keisha,
              +
                   It's no problem It really sounds like a great idea!
                   I have added the additional information, such as having Lance Armstrong promote the shoes because of his recent participation in marathon running, and also the assistance of the Leukemia Society. I cannot promise anything, but hopefully these shoes will be available soon! Again, thanks so much for sharing this with us!
                   Take Care,
                   Kim
                   + Nike
              +
              h6. -

h6.
                   Customer (Keisha Dennie) - 04/24/2008 03:15 PM
                   + Thank you so much for the quick response! Another thought on this idea... As a promoter, if he doesn't already have sponsor ship, is Lance Armstrong. He now has his sites on Cancer. In addition, he is big on running marathons, as of late. Again thank you for passing this along!
              + -

Response (Kim) - 04/24/2008 11:22 AM
                   + Hello Keisha,
              +
                   It's great that you have chosen Nike to share your idea with concerning a running shoe with an outsole that names specific cancer!
                   This is a great idea and would be very motivational for those who are running for the cause. I am not in the footwear design department, but I have already submitted this idea to that group. While they are unable to contact consumers directly, they are able to view consumer product ideas through a report that is generated on a monthly basis. This way, they will know that you would like for Nike to create this style of shoe.
                   If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me at your convenience.
                   Sincerely,
                   Kim
                   + Nike
              +
              h6. -

h6.
                   Customer (Keisha Dennie) - 04/24/2008 12:31 AM
                   + To Whom It May Concern:
              +
                   As a runner, Nike is my shoe of choice. It cradles my foot, but is very lightweight and breathable. In 2006 I was diagnosed with Leukemia AML. As you know this is a terrible cancer.
                   Fortunately, many great organizations lead the cause to finding a cure. Many fundraisers held for these organizations are 3days, marathons, 10ks, 5ks, and walk-a-thons. I am sure you are very aware of these events.
                   My point in writing you is simple. I have had this thought for a while, which I plan on sharing with others. The idea has been with me for a while, and I use it frequently. What if you could make your great quality shoe, but with a different outer-sole? Many times a year an event is held for Leukemia. Traditionally, the color for Leukemia is purple; just as for breast cancer is pink. So what if you made your great shoe, but with the name of the cancer on the bottom of the sole?
                   You ask why? The reason is simple. People buy your shoe because they like it. Many of these people run in many of the sponsored events for very personal reasons. So, while running in your shoe, they also have the opportunity to literally "stomp it out". On every cycle, the runner is literally, beating down on the one malady that took his sister, mother, dad, brother, wife, husband, or friend out. So it is also very personal. Can you image just when you start to feel fatigued at the 10 mile mark, you think of what's on the bottom of your shoe? I can't imagine something more motivating than running for the honor of someone you love.
                   In selling your shoes, you of course would make your normal profit, but on these special shoes, a portion would go to donation of... The Leukemia Society, The Susan G. Coleman, respectively.
                   Below, I will paste a conversation that I had with people across the country on the Internet. I had many responses of people sending me their pictures, of their running shoes marked on the bottom , with a marker. They thought it was a great idea. Please read whenever you have an opportunity, and let me know of your thougths. Thank you so much for your time, the honor has been mine.
                   Respectfully,
                   Keisha Dennie
                   +
              +mailto:keishapc@yahoo.com
                   469-441-3187 USA
                   Pasted Info: When you guys meet up for you run, in beautiful Florida, write the name Leukemia, in my case, ....or Lymphoma or whatever cancer has made you the maddest, on the bottom of your shoe. Just when you almost let the fatigue get you, remember, why you are there. Then, just stomp it out! Every cycle you take then has added purpose. I promise you it will give you that reserved energy you need. Then before you even realize, your back in that state of "oneness", my favorite part of the run where you feel so at peace with the universe. (I think they call that technically, the release of endorphins.) Humm, what a great promotional product that could be partnered with a donation. Anyone know the top people at Asic, Brooks, or Nike?? I would definetly buy a pair

Hi Keisha ,

WOW Great job! I can't wait to buy my purple running shoes, Barry I promise I won't buy them two days before a Marathon like I did in January at the Disney. lol  I already have a Armstrong computer and sun glasses. I would love to see him run with TNT. Imagine a bike TNT team being coached by L. Armstrong. Well for now I have my home made Cancer Stompers .

My saying this year has been Just 1 Can and again Keisha you have proven this to be true, It only takes 1 step start a marathon, 1 push to start a 100 mile bike ride, 1 swim stroke to start a triathlon and 1 person to change the world for the better. Just 1 can ! Thanks for being that 1  !

Ken

Registered Users

I replied to a post earlier, but not sure where it went.  I guess out into the great abiss.  Anyway,  I dont't want to make you guys cry....but remember if you do, it is a good thing.  Crying just shows you are a person of feeling.  Always, an admirable trait.

What an awesome gift!  You have already made the first step in knocking this thing on it's rear.  You turned the tables.  Take this cancer, and let it make you stronger, better runner, better person.  Whose got control, now?  YOU GUYS ARE AWSOME!  

Here's another tool that I like very much, some might find it weird, but it helped me.  When I was first diagnosed, a very dear friend of mine, an elderly lady, Marie,  lived next door to me.  Despite the hugh age gap, we became such good, real, friends.   At any rate, Marie gave me a piece of advice that has carried me though some of my darkest moments.  For what it's worth I will share it with you all.   Marie told me, "Keisha the Bible says Jesus is above every name."  I dwelt on what my friend told me for a day or two.  I realized what Marie was trying to tell me, Leukemia is a name.  Ergo, it too must bow down before Him.  So when I started to allow my self to get down in the blues or freightend, I would simply say, "Bow Down!"  I then incorporated this trick into, my run activities.  Trust me I think you might find this as invigoratingly as I did.....  

When you guys meet up for you run, in beautiful Florida, (Lucky Dogs!), write the name Leukemia, in my case, or Lymphoma or whatever cancer has made you the maddest, on the bottom of your shoe.  Just when you almost let the fatigue get you, remember, why you are there.  Then, just stomp it out!  Every cycle you take then has added purpose.  I promise you it will give you that reserved energy you need.   Then before you even realize, your back in that state of "oneness", my favorite part of the run where you feel so at peace with the universe. (I think they call that technically, the release of endorphins.)  Humm, what a great promotional product that could be partnered with a donation.  Anyone know the top people at Asic, Brooks, or Nike??  I would definetly buy a pair! 

Another thing I did, and this was personal for me, pre cancer, I took my beloved, late, dog's collar and hid it under a rock on our old route.  Just when I needed that extra lift, I would pass by the boulder and think of Jackson, and it just pushed me right along.   Please keep me posted of your run, Sat, and/or some of your running inspirations.  I will keep you guys posted, too.  

Happy Birthday, Ken, another year wiser!

Registered Users

i read these stories and have none of my own to tell. there are many cancers that have crept their way into the lives of my grandfather, my aunt, and my cousins. unfortunately i didn't know them well enough to see much of anything. i just knew that they had it. sometimes knowing that someone had it and is no longer here because of it makes it realer than some would like it to be. i don't know if i could have held it together seeing them suffer. i like to say i'm strong but i crumble if i see others in pain. then i watch people that are living through it all, and fight with such determination, and i find it remarkable that they can muster up the strength to do it. even more remarkable are the people that are perfectly healthy and will never have to endure any pain or have to muster up any strength to fight back anything so large. instead we fight with our parents, our siblings, husbands and kids about irrelevant things. why can't we put up that fight for a greater good? as much as i complain about everything in my life, i have nothing to complain about. i want to do this for the family i never got a chance to know and for the anybody that i may encounter in my future. i am so proud of being a part of something so unbeliavably amazing. i just cannot wait to fully embark on this journey and look forward to every person that i meet during it.

Thank You Evangelia,

I am proud of you because something bad had to happen to wake me up and see I need to fight for someone else's life and that my life is good and to see how lucky I am just to have good health. But You and thousands of others  like you saw that all on your own. You fight for something bigger than yourself and you are a Amazing person. Thank you for becoming part of this Team. I am no one, just a brother that put his anger in his legs.

You joined this team not for yourself but for others and you are a true hero.

Thank You

Crazy Ken

Registered Users

Why am I joining (later this year)? Because I'm not going to be one of those people out there (we all know at least one) who looks at a problem and says "Someone really ought to do something about that" and then do nothing about 'that'.

I'm joining because a very close friend (she's my sister for all practical purposes) lost a friend of hers to Lymphoma in 2004. Through an act of some providence she was introduced to LLS and TnT. She (not being one of 'those' people above) chose to act and begin racing with TnT in Los Angeles doing Triathlons. 4 years later she is still running and is preparing for an Ironman for TnT. She is a reason.

I'm joining to give back to the society that has given me so much. I have Hodgkin's Lymphoma that I've been actively fighting since October 2006 without a break. By the end of this year I'll either be in remission or fed up with continuous treatments and will finally (more than a year already after I decided I wanted to do this) begin training for my first triathlon. I've watched the society help those who need it most and I want to help them help others.

There's no greater act of defiance against the ravages of cancer or the treatments than participating in a marathon, triathlon, or century ride. None. And there is no greater honor than to run beside those of you who have chosen to step outside your regular comfort zone and do something extraordinary to help others.

The greatest show of humanity is always ordinary people doing extraordinary things. All of you are my heroes. I can only hope to one day follow in your footsteps.

Registered Users

Typhoon good  for you!

Easy does it though, lot of fluids rest, etc......  Sorry, I don't know the treatment program for Lymphoma.  I can only guess it is the same as my treatment for Leukemia.....Induction round, then 5 consecutive rounds.  I understand the wanting to fight it back.  This stupid cancer has taken it's shots below the belt, it would be nice to get a shot back above or below the belt.   KICK IT'S BUTT!!!!  

Don't get discouraged, you will get remission soon  Big hug from me, Keisha D:x

Registered Users

I joined TNT because...

I am a 5 year old Hodgkin's survivor! Recently I have had to deal with some lingering side effects from my chemo and radiation treatments. Just a few months ago I was bedridden due to thyroid failure which had lingered for about 9 months and was leading to a variety of other health problems. The thing is that you just get so used to living with constant health issues, that you don't want to continually go to the doctor and complain, so you just learn to deal with it. Things started getting better, and then I was diagnosed with "ChemoBrain." I was working towards my masters with hopes of attaining my phD in the near future. And, all of a sudden I couldn't read, write, or multitask. Sometimes I felt like I was sinking into the wall and just watching life pass by, or I felt like I was trapped inside my own body and not being able to recall the words that I want to say, unable to communicate with others. The doctors put me on some experimental medication and I've been re-learning how to be a graduate student, a wife, and a friend.

I am not complaining, because I am so blessed to be here. It is amazing how far researchers have come in raising survival rates among Hodgkin's patients. But, I am doing this to say that it's not good enough; we can do better. I'm running 26.2 miles to do my part in giving the gift of hope to future cancer patients.

And, I am doing this to fight back, to learn how to take care of myself, and to challenge myself. I am doing this to inspire myself and to inspire others. I want those who have seen me battle with my health for 7 years now get to see me fight back. I am ready to be uplifted and tired of having my life and my health stripped away from me. I am tired of being told I can't, and I am ready to be successful.

I have committed to run the Nike Women's Marathon in San Francisco 10.19.2008. From bedridden to marathoner in 7 months! I invite you to check out my website which includes my training blogs and more.... http://www.thegiftofhope.org/

Run-On!

Beth

BarryB TNT Coach

Dear Beth-Running for hope,

I used to be very active on this BBS (really the older version) and then they came out with this new format. I stayed away for awhile and decided recently it was time to get back on the horse and even try to adapt to the new tricks.

Boy am I ever glad I did. I have been more inspired in the last few weeks than I have been in quite sometime. Your post in particular hit me right in the chest, like that blasted blood cancer sledge hammer does way to often.

I am getting ready to coach the upcoming season (maybe I'll be our chapter's event coach at Nike) . I had a woman at my last info meeting who is on Gleevec, she explained how they had to come out of retirement in order to pay for meds. But one thing she said really struck me like you did too. She said, very casually "hey you can't put a price tag on waking up each morning"

You should never feel like you are complaining, even on your worst day. Your words of "we can do better" need to ring out so that everyone stays on target, don't fall of the horse and keep riding this thing hard until we are needed no longer. It is an honor to work on behalf of people like you that show us, we can do better and in fact we must do better.!!

RUN-ON and ROCK-ON

Registered Users

You have inspired me!

Question, I am having the same issue with ChemoBrain. This is my first semester back.  It has very much effected my performance.  Are you taking Provigil?  I would like to know....I am due to see an endocrinologist on the 8th of May. 

What an oxymoron, but I am so glad to be apart of a this great team.

Registered Users

Yes, I am taking Provigil... I know that it is one of a few different drugs they are trying out on ChemoBrain. Also, my doctor told me that they, the Provigil manufacturers, are making a new better drug to be out in the fall, but I can't remember the name. The strange thing about my ChemoBrain is the symptoms weren't present until I was 4 years out of treatment, and only got worse over the past year. Which makes me wonder, why, and if it is going to get worse. But, the Provigil has helped a lot, and I am hopeful that there will be newer better drugs that will be able to cure it.

I want to encourage you, because with the medication you can learn how to be a successful student again. You might have to change some of the ways you study, but with hard work, you can excel!

Beth

Kati'sDad Registered Users

The doctors told me that Kati's memory issues might have worsened in the few years after, but we were also fortunate because of research like the Society does many children facing Kati's medical needs just a couple years before her diagnosis were left with severe learning disabilities, basically unable to learn anything new. But the new combinations have curbed the severity, and left her with slight memory issues (we use to joke the memory issues usually centered on things like curfews). Kati maintained her straight A average throughout her 109 weeks of chemo, and that 18 months after the initial chemo ended, and was accepted into the International Baccalaureate Program. But her memory did digress, it wasn't too easy for others to see because Kati was one of those blessed with photographic memory, so for the most part only I noticed. Well enough proud papa talk.

When they asked Kati to be an honored Teammate for a second time she was about 11, and she was so thrilled, and I asked her why it meant so much. Kati said, "Daddy you know I want to beat this thing, but knowing people like this exist certainly shows why it is worth it." Kati no doubt was talking about people just like you Beth and you Keisha. Your strength is our strength, I thank you for that. And if you will allow me I will write your names on my Team jersey that I will put on Sunday as I run the Frederick 1/2 Marathon with my youngest daughter, Sara, who just turned 16 and couldn't wait to run (being able to be part of the Team at 16 was more on her mind than driving). Thank you all. Rick, also known as Kati's Dad, and equally proud to be known as Sara's Dad

Registered Users

Hey Beth/Running4Hope,

So many people have stared at the monumental task of fund-raising (not to mention the event itself) with some trepidation and worry. The fund-raising will go OK. It definitely takes some work and a little creative thinking but it can be done. Besides the Nike Women's Marathon in Frisco is a beautiful run with lots of fun stuff along the way (not unlike the Rock and Roll marathon in San Diego). There's the Chocolate Mile where every couple hundred feet there's another type of chocolate to sample. There's also a fine Tiffany's Charm you recieve as a finisher's medal from a handsome lad in a tux. On the whole it's quite a remarkable experience. Some day I'll run it just for fun.

In the meantime you've given me a little renewed hope, something that has been in a little short supply recently. Hodgkin's is supposed to be so curable so "easily". I saw many others in remission after chemo and a fairly short run of radiation. It's just been too long and I'm tired. I want to live my life now. And that life is going to be spent running with TnT to earn a triple crown. It's one of my two life goals. The other is to complete an Ironman race for Team in Training.

But mostly I want to just get started on it so I have something else to focus on instead of worrying about the results of the next PET scan. Please keep your fingers crossed for remission.

love to you and everyone in TNT!

Kevin

Registered Users

Hi everyone. I'm rather new to TNT. I signed up about a month ago for the Apple Cider Century ride in September. Hopefully this will be my first of many seasons.

I joined because I lost my best friend, Ricky, to lymphoma. He is my hero. He lived through a heart transplant at 16 years old. He was diagnosed with lymphoma in college, but worked hard and graduated. He was optimistic throughout his awful treatments and went into remission twice. Sadly, we lost him in September. I was lost in sadness and couldn't understand how the rest of the world could go on. I felt I had to do something, so I started looking for a way to volunteer. When I found Team in Training, I found a way to work through my heartbreak and make a difference.

Registered Users

Hiya everyone! 

I am Hubble, and this year is my very first year with Team In Training, AND it's my very first time doing any sort of distance endurance event EVER!!  I first heard about TNT from my sister-in-law, who has participated in several TNT events.  I was so impressed at all that she told me.  She inquired if I might be interested in joining up with TNT/LLS, and I responded with a enthusiastic YES!!!

I joined TNT/LLS so that I would be able to significantly help the lives of others, but I also joined to help myself as well.   My existence on this planet hasn't been very...well...active.  For years and years, I have been a shy, uncoordinated, chubby wubby who never exercised or participated in any sort of physical acitivities...and my lifestyle has reflected it.  A lot of my daily life included "work...home...television...junk food...sleep...work...home...television...junk food...sleep...etc".  I was heading in the wrong direction, as far as my health was concerned.  Then a little over two months ago, my mother went to the doctor, as she had not been feeling well for quite a long period of time.  After numerous tests and doctor visits, it turned out that my mom had three massive blockages in her heart, she was moments away from a heart attack, and she was admitted to the hospital to have triple bypass surgery.  This was indeed the turning point for me, and it was a huge wake up call.  After endless lectures from family members, friends, and coworkers...after so many attempts to talk some sense into me...after continuously hearing my mom cry from her concern about my health...this is what finally got my attention.  Seeing my own mother, post-surgery, lying on a hospital bed, in a stark hospital room, with tubes going in and out of her, hooked up to all sorts of machines, and unresponsive.......this was what finally made me see that the direction I had been going in for so long was the wrong path, it made me realize that I needed to change my ways, and that I needed to change NOW.

So here I am.  I'm ready to change the lives of others, and I'm ready to change my life as well.  This is a win-win situation.  I'm ready to take on the challenges that come my way, and believe me, there have already been some.  You don't go from being a couch potato to training for a half marathon without challenges.  I am able to get through these challenges, and I will.  There are so many people out there taking on HUGE challenges in life...much bigger challenges than I could ever imagine.  There are people who are suffering from blood cancer diseases...people who watch their loved ones suffer from blood cancer diseases every day...people in mourning who have lost friends, family members, coworkers to blood cancer diseases.  These are the people that I walk for every single time I'm out there training.  These are the people I am raising money for.  These are the people who inspire me.  These are the people who motivate me.  These are the people who make me realize that I have the ability to rise above the old me, and do what ever it takes to change my own life and change the lives of others.  And that's just what I'll do.

Watch out world...Hubble is on the run!  (Er...um...walk, actually...for now!)

:o)

GO TEAM!

Hubble

Jojospirit Registered Users

Today I joined the Central NY Chapter Women's team that will be participating in the "Goofy Challenge" (Disney Marathon) in '09.  I will be participating in the 1/2 marathon that weekend.  I have NO prior running experience or training in my background.  In fact, when I was about 10yrs. old my parents took me to a doctor because they were concerned about how SLOW of a runner I was!!  How embarrassing is that??  The doctor told them that "while running a 5k is not in her future, there is nothing fundamentally wrong with her."  In 2004 my best friend's mom lost her battle to Leukemia and Lymphoma, even after receiving a bone marrow transplant from her sister.  Her name was JoAnn Harris and she was like a "second mom" to me.  Her spirit and zest for life was contagious and awe inspiring.  Even while undergoing chemo, she never let her illness run her life.  The last time I saw her was right after a round of chemo.  We were at her lake house in NH.  While out on the boat, she got up and started dancing around.  I remember this vividly because I was in awe of how she would not let this disease compromise her spirit.  Just that morning, she was showing us all the hair that was coming off onto her brush.  But she never looked discouraged.  She just pointed it out "matter of factly" and went about her day.   

I believe that I'm about to embarke on the biggest challenge of my life.  Physically, I've never pushed myself beyond my "preconceived" limits.  JoAnn showed me that life circumstances do not have to dictate the way you live your life.  She fought hard and was pushed beyond limits that will never be fully conceivable to me.  My goal is, with JoAnn as my inspiration,  to train and run with the same vigor and committment she had for life and her spirit and with the same level of grace and dignity by which she always carried herself!!

In loving memory of JoAnn Harris,

Renee, Syracuse, NY

Thank you Renee for such an inspirational story along with all of these inspiring stories. And I just wanted to offer I don't believe your dear JoAnn lost her battle with cancer. It may have taken her from us, but we all must go sometime, but JoAnn refused to let cancer change her. She won her battle, and her spirit is here leading us to a complete victory over cancer. As my Kati taught me so vividly, it is not when you finish the race that determines victory, but doing your best with each step.

Registered Users

My reason for joining is quite simple....even at 23 I am as close to the personification of a daddys girl that you can get, and my father was recently diagnosed with Stage 3 Hodgkins Lymphoma (his official diagnosis was April 25 of this year). He is about halfway through his first round of chemo, and I feel more helpless now than ever before.

I was researching Lymphoma and came across TNT. I didn't think much of it since I'm not a runner....but then suddenly everywhere I went there was a sign or flier or radio ad!! After about a month of that I figured its a sign.  I've never run anything close to a marathon before, but the way I see it is if my father can physically and mentally endure what he is going through right now, then I can push myself to psychially and mentally endure this new endeavor....especially since its for him

I will be training for the Walt Disney Marathon in January, and to hear my parents' voices light up when I tell them about the mission, and to hear their pride when they say they're going to come to Orlando to watch me finish is overwhelmingly satisfying.

I'm so glad I came across this site and this awesome group of people all working towards a fabulous goal

Many blessings to you all

Nikki

Hi Nikki,

Welcome to the team and we are all proud of you. It will be an honor to be running with you at Disney World. It is where dreams come true and on Jan 10th and 11th you will see the sea of purple people running with you and cheering for you! Keep us up to date on you and your fathers  progress. Running is nothing compared to the courage your father has and the inspiration you give to him. For it is for people like your father that we all run, swim and bike for. That one day we will cross that finish line to the cure, because of people like YOU!  

Thank You and God Bless Just Ken

Registered Users

Hi Ken!

I don't really know what to say! Your message was so heartfelt and sincere.....it just shows that there really are still good people in this world. I've already had people tell me this cant be done. That I'm only 23 and in over my head. At times it can be discouraging, but I jsut turn it into fuel to do even better!! My father has 2 sessions left of his first round of chemo and then they will re-evaluate his status from there. My mother showed him my fundraising site and it brought tears to his eyes. I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen my father tear up in my entire life, so to know that I moved him so much made my heart melt. Whether I finish it or not (and I hope beyond hopes that I do), I know he is very proud of me. Depending on how he is doing, they are planning on coming to Orlando to watch the race!! Just today he was invited to NY in January for a Hall of Fame induction (we're big on the martial arts), and he told me that if it happened to fall on January 10-11 that he would have to send his regrets because he will be in Orlando watching his daughter run

Sorry for the ramble LOL I could go on and on when it comes to him

Hi Nicole,

You Rock! And you will make it! I will see you, your Dad and Mom in Orlando!!! Where Dreams Come Ture!

Never ! Never  Never ! Stop

Hug You Dad and Mom for all the Team, for you are a family of Hero's!!!!!

PS Our Stroms are gone by Jan.

Just Crazy Ken

Registered Users

Today is my fathers one year anniversary.  He was diagnosed on April 27, 2007 with B cell lymphoma.  He passed away August 27, 2007 just 4 short months after diagnosis.  So, today on his one year anniversary, I will begin my new journey.  And believe me, it isn't going to be pretty.  I have let me emotions get the best of me this past year, and food has become a comfort. No longer!   Yikes.....I weigh more now than when I gave birth to my children.  In honor of my amazing father, I am ready to begin to find a new "normal" to my life.  Now that the year of "firsts" is over, and the shock of it all has faded.  I need to do what I can to make sure we find a cure!!  So, as I take this amazing journey in memory of father and hopefully with the help of all of you......I will be able to do it!!!

Registered Users

Reading your words brought tears to my eyes. And while I have never met you, I am proud of you. I know the courage it takes to do this. I tend to think of my father often as I run. Anytime I get tired or exhausted, I can almost hear him telling me that I can do more. That I'm capable of anything I set my mind to. Little things like that have been invaluable to my progess.

You are the first person I've come across who can really comprehend what its like. While other people mean well and understand on some level, they just dont really 'get it'. Our Dads are Superman to us, and to see them any other way is just illogical....just doesnt make sense. I don't think it ever will.

But enough of the mushiness

I have no doubt you will be able to do this! And just know from this point forward you will always have a friend in me. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you need support or just an ear to hear.

Hi Michelle,

You can do it! On June 18th 2007 was my sisters one year anniversary of her passing, I was in a Doctors office and weighed in at over 265LBs. The Doctor told me if I did not change I would die soon. After watching the pain my Mom and Dad went through the night my sister pass. I did want to be the cause of my loved ones pains. And being 1 year to the day my sister pass it really hit me. You can do it. I lost 85LBS and took 2 hours off my marathon time. When I sent my TNT  coaches my picture, They did not who I was. It was not easy, But go to the TNT Diet Clinic, It is not ready a diet they will help you think about food as fuel. Never go with out eating. If you ever feel you are going to lose it. Email me. I'll help you! We will help you! Your Team will help you!

It is not a diet, it is a change of life.  You are here for you!

Crazy Ken

Because I did not know what to do , Because I was Lost, Sad,Scared, and Mad.  too many peoples moms, dads, sisters,brothers, but most of all children were and are dieing and they need the cure. Because I know  that we will find a cure. Anyone that thinks it is impossible should read more history and see that people always say things will never change. But things do!  Because of people like this wonderful team believe that we can and will make the impossible happen.

CK Florida

HI AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I SEE WE HAVE A LOT OF NEW TEAM MATES

WHAT IS YOUR NAME?

WHERE ARE YOU FROM?

WHY DID YOU JOIN? I JOINED BECAUSE OF MY SISTER, BUT I CAN'T STOP BECAUSE OF YOU AND THE MOMS, DAD'S, SON'S, DAUGHTER'S, AUNT'S AND UNCLE'S THAT NEED US.

THIS IS A NEW YEAR AND THIS JUST MIGHT BE THE ONE. NO ONE KNOWS, BUT WE DO KNOW WE CAN'T STOP.

LOVE YOU ALL

CRAZY KEN, MELBOURNE FLORIDA

Gwenny925 Registered Users

I joined Team in Training after seeing a flyer in a local shop. I have just started running for fitness purposes and a lot of the time I find myself wanting to stop because the pain is so bad or I'm just too tired. At 21 years old I still have the fortune of having my loved ones by my side. However, I have friends who have lost loved ones, and I've talked to parents who have children fighting for their lives, and I make sure never to forget that although I've never been a victim or a relative of a victim, it doesn't make it less important.

When a coworker came into work one day and told us her son had been diagnosed with lymphoma, I felt helpless. It bothered me so much that all I could do was hug her and offer words of encouragement. When I saw the flyer I thought, its pathetic to complain about the pain or to wimp out of running when these people are competing for their lives against something that I can't begin to comprehend. I know I can't change the world but I thought that maybe if everyone could contribute just a little bit, it could be enough to see something happen. So I picked up the flyer and I've decided to run a half marathon in May of this year. I'm really worried that I won't be able to make the fundraising amount, and as a college student I certainly don't have the money to make up the difference, but I've decided I'll just have to work harder to reach that goal.

I know my reason for joining doesn't come from having a loved one diagnosed with lymphoma or lukemia, but I promise I will still work just as hard to reach this goal and hope the day comes soon when this horrible thing that takes so many of our loved ones away from us will simply not exist. I am currently in college getting my degree in biology, from there I will continue on to medical school, where hopefully I can continue to make a difference.

Love,

Gwen

Alan_livingstrong Registered Users

I'm new here on this site, but I'm a Myspace veteran, so I'll say the best answer I can give as to why I joined TNT is in my blog titled:

"My story - from a chemo chair to the finish line of the Disney Marathon."

I just posted it here tonight as I created my profile, so please feel free to check it out and see if we've got any common ground.

Your survivor brother (and TNT alumni),

Alan

GO TEAM!    [http://pages.teamintraining.org/nfl/wdw09/aharmon]   (still an active site)

Hi New team mates tell us your storys, inspire us.

Your crazy friend Ken

Sandi Registered Users

I joined Team In Training because Cancer is so prevalent in my life, my family and now my mom has Lung Cancer. Last year I shaved my head in honor and solidarity of the children who have cancer. But that was a quick action that seems like it didn't take much to do, but afterwards I really knew how that one part of Cancer can make people feel.

I saw a brochure at the end of last year about Team In Training and my ex-father-in-law was battling Lymphoma at the time. I wanted to raise awareness by doing something that took alot of effort on my part. I am a middle-aged overweight woman. Team In Training not only helps Cancer patients but helped me get in shape to actually walk a marathon.

huntgoddess2 Registered Users

I haven't joined just yet, again.  I am an alumni, I ran the Disney Marathon in 2007.  I am joining again to run the Nike in October of 09.  How I got here is I received a flyer in the mail.  Went to the meeting and decided I needed to not only get into shape but put a lot of other ahead of myself.  This way I can get both benifits.  I get to help others and help myself at the same time.

I have known several people who have been diagnosed with all sorts of cancers but one of the people I do know recently has a close friend who has been diagnosed with a blood cancer.  So this put TNT back into my mind again.    Plus when I ran the Disney I was lucky enough to run with the mom of our little boy we ran for.  She is such a wonderful woman and this foundation made it possible for her family to continue on with what normal life they could..

Diana

NoTrebleAtAll Registered Users

I haven't officially joined yet, but I'm going to attend one of the informational events this Thursday in Northern NJ.  I would like to apologize if my post seems a bit selfish, but I promise you that my heart is in the right place.

Ten years after leaving the Coast Guard, I find myself in the worst shape of my life.  I'm 46, 5'10" and 207 lbs.  Looking back, I realize that my years in the Coast Guard were some of the happiest times in my life.  I wondered why and I realized that I was happy because I am happiest when I'm helping others.  So, why not combine the two?

If I can get my fat butt out on the road, get down to my fighting weight and complete an Ironman before I turn 50; all the while helping to cure a blight on human existence, then I will have done my part.  My satisfaction will surely come from being healthy, but most of all it will come from the thought that I have made a difference.  Altruism has never been one of my strong points as I freely admit to getting a huge kick out of the smiles of those I have helped and will help.

Pretty selfish I think, but I can live with that.

NoTreble you do not sound selfish at all, in fact many of are participants are just like you; a desire to help others and a need to get in shape (or a reason to get out and excercise). As I have said before, my daughter Kati would often say  she didn't feel that being a "honored teammate" was a description of who she was, but how she felt being associated with heroes like you.

NoTrebleAtAll Registered Users

Thanks for the words of support, Rick.

I attended the "Tri Us Out" swim session in Summit, NJ last night and I had a blast.  I find it fairly funny that I was in the Coast Guard for 10 years and never learned to crawl properly.  (I also found it funny that Governors Island didn't have an indoor pool, but that's a different story.)  Everyone was very helpful and the coaches are all top notch.

Up until last night, my goal was to finish a sprint length Tri before the end of the fall.  Everyone I spoke with about this said that anything over sprint length wasn't realistic for my first season.  After speaking with one of the coaches, I signed up for the Westchester event which is olympic distance and after seeing the quality of coaching, I believe I can do it.  And now, I have that AC/DC song running through my head..."Cause I'm T - N - T, I'm dynamite!  I'm TNT, and I'll win the fight!...."

See you at the finish line!

Randy

kwashington Registered Users

I first joined TNT to fulfill a personal goal of running a marathon. After meeting the TNT staff and cancer survivors, I realized that this organization was doing really vital work and I wanted to be a part of helping them with the mission. I had my first training today and it confirmed why I am running for a cure.

Simply put..I joined TNT because of its awesome mission and work:-)

Thank you Kandice and God Bless you for joining in the fight for other's Lives! You will enjoy the run and when you see a sign being held by a  a cancer survivor the middle of that run you will find yourself with more energy than you thought you could ever have.

Thank you again and to everyone out there that can't stop because it is not over.

Your Crazy Friend Ken Melbourne Florida

Honor Registered Users

Three reasons:

1. I'm a distance runner who has run 1/2 Marathons and THINKS she might have a full Marathon lurking inside her
    2. I've organized fun running challenges for my friends where they had to raise money for worthwhile causes
    3. Someone who is very dear to me was diagnosed with Lymphoma 18 months ago

I can't think of a single reason why I should put off (any longer) being involved in TNT

It would be an HONOR if you would please join the Team!

Winter Season is about to start and there are some great Runs like my favorite (The Disney World Marathon Weekend in Orlando Florida). It is on the10th of Jan 2010. You can go where dreams come true and be part of making the CURE come true for people all over the world.

Go to www.teamintraining.org     and join then Train Endure Achieve and Matter!

Your Crazy Friend Ken,  Melbourne Florida

Lpickens Registered Users

I joined Tean in Training simply because I want to be part of the solution! I lost my aunt to cancer 5 weeks ago. I was lucky enough to be with her back in June and help in any way I could.  The stuff I saw she went through and my whole family went through is just wrong. No patient and no family needs to go through all the pain and the suffering. I have been running for 6 years, and what better thing than to run for a great cause! To be part of the solution! When we run we move forward and I have always found that is such a great metaphor for life. Now, as well, I find it is so true with cancer research. we move forward and we see results and that's all that matters. I am confident one day we will find a cure and we will feel that we were part of the solution!

Thank you for joining and bring friends. You have done a great job and your aunt is proud of you and so am I. You will have so much fun at Disney World Weekend, I wish I could be there with you. I love the Disney Marathon, it is my favorite.

Thank you again,

Your Crazy Friend Ken in the Box

rdweatherly Registered Users

This is from a blog post on my website from February 7, 2012:

February 2011 was a banner month for me. In four short weeks, I lost three people to cancer. Today is the one-year anniversary of the first. Mark King was just 37 years old. He was one of my oldest friends and my high school sweetheart. Next week will mark one year for Don Harmon, who was one of my mother's oldest friends, a man I knew from when I was knee high to a grasshopper. I had not seen him in a number of years but felt his loss in that part of me that remains a little girl. February 27th will mark one year since we lost my father-in-law. Glen was an amazing man who showed a level of strength and courage in his battle with cancer that will influence me for the rest of my life.

With Glen, I know I did everything I possibly could have for him. My husband and I went to all of his doctor appointments and procedures, all of which were in another state. The last hours of Glen's life were my shift, and I took care of his every need, administering his medication every hour, keeping him comfortable, singing to quiet him. I suctioned his throat, so he could take what would be his last breath. I have no regrets. I miss him like crazy, but I gave Glen everything I had.

While Glen fought for more than two years, Mark's fight was much more brief. Few people even knew he was sick at first. It wasn't his way to broadcast his business, and to the very end, he only allowed a very few people in his room to take care of him. I sat in DC, hundreds of miles from the nearest person who even knew Mark. I was glued to Facebook and my phone waiting for any news after he went into the hospital. I was isolated and helpless. There was nothing I could do to stop what was happening to Mark, nor to ease his family's pain. It was heart-wrenching and infuriating. In the end, Mark was gone, and I felt like I'd given him nothing. I'd done nothing.

Anyone who knows me, knows that doesn't go over so well. Dealing with the loss of Mark has been more difficult because I feel helpless and guilty. I know that in my rational mind, but it does nothing to sooth my heart.

A few months ago, I lucked across something that spurred my craziest idea ever, but that has also turned out to be my way of fighting back against the sadness and frustration of losing too much to cancer -- Team Mark. I've recruited a group of Mark's closest and oldest friends to join me in Nashville on April 28 to run the Country Music Half Marathon as a part of Team In Training to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Recruiting, organizing, raising money, these things are easy for me, and I wouldn't feel like I'd done enough if I wasn't also going to do something that will test the outer limits of anything I thought I could ever do -- run 13.1 miles.

I was not kind to my body in my youth. I'm out of shape, overweight, arthritic and asthmatic. I've never been a runner, much less a long-distance runner, and two months ago when I started training, I couldn't run a solid minute without having an asthma attack. When I signed up, LLS kept reassuring me that I'd be able to meet my fundraising goal with all the support they'd lend. I looked very seriously at the man and said I wasn't worried about $3,000 in the least, I'm much more worried about getting 13.1 miles on something besides wheels! Well, this past Saturday, I ran 6 miles.

I'm under the supervision of two doctors and a physical therapists. I have three inhalers, plus a couple of pills, and a stubborn streak a mile wide. It was one of the things that Mark most loved and hated about me. (He had one, too.) It won't be in record time, and it may be ugly, but I'll finish. And end the end, not only will I have done the easy stuff to help end cancer and care for those who fight, but also I will have left every last ounce of sweat and tears I have on the road to the finish line. I'll know I gave Mark everything I had, even if it's too late.

UPDATE: All 6 of us crossed the finish line at the Country Music Half, some of us faster than others. We raised more than $15,000 for LLS! Plans are already in the works for Disney in January 2013.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...