The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society - Fighting Blood Cancers
5 Replies Latest reply: May 1, 2012 6:13 PM by SurvivorRoss RSS

Can Chemo Cause Swollen  Lymphnodes?

Kayla Sweet Registered Users
Currently Being Moderated

I have Hodgkin Lymphoma stage II...It was discovered because of the swollen lymphnode tissue on the right side of my neck. It felt really spongy and there were some hard nodules...I started chemo a week ago and I noticed that area shrinking which is good. Now I'm started to notice that spongy feeling on the left side of my neck, it's almost as if there's swelling over there. There aren't any hard nodules though. Initially I freaked out, assuming maybe it could be another growth over there that wasn't responding to chemo but in fact growing - but then I thought, maybe it's just swollen lymphone tissue from the chemo? I know the chemo makes your immune system weaker - has this happened to anybody else? Having this disease has given me so much anxiety it's hard to tell what's a symptom and what's in my head!!!

• Re: Can Chemo Cause Swollen  Lymphnodes?
    Teddybear Registered Users

Hi Kayla, I had  DLBCL ( NHL ) and had the same thing happen.  I kinda freaked a little too but my onc and later scans said it was just scar tissue from my tumors breaking down.  I would still have your onc check it out just for peace of mind though.  Nancy

Thank you for your reassurance Nancy! I will definitely bring it up to my oncologist for peace of mind though...I just try to keep in mind that it certainly doesn't feel the same way as my tumor on the other side - there are no hard bumps. It's so hard not to worry about these things though! Again, thank you =)

SurvivorRoss Registered Users

Hey there,

I also had Stage 2A Hodgkin's Lymphoma. I would definitely bring up your concerns to your oncologist.

I always tend to freak out whenever my lymph nodes swell, though the culprit is usually a nasty sinus infection, or seasonal allergies.

Hang in there!

Thanks Ross!

I will definitely bring it up to my oncologist.

I'm hyperfocused on my lymphnodes now that I have this illness. I know that logically it isn't probable that I have a new tumor sprouting during my chemotherapy! Especially when the main one is visibly decreasing, but I know crazy things can and do happen sometimes!

I just finished my first cycle. So for now, I'm just trying to relax about it - but I will definitely bring it up to my oncologist when I see him.

It's nice to talk to someone who has been there and done that!

Thank you

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend