The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society - Fighting Blood Cancers
4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 14, 2012 8:11 PM by Gabbiesmom RSS

Help! Need antibiotic suggestion for ear infection

Ingridktw Registered Users
Currently Being Moderated

Well, my son has an ear infection and a low grade fever. High ANC of about 4,000. 

The problem is my son is very particular about how he takes meds - crushed in chocolate syrup. Works for all our regular meds.

He was prescribed augmentin and then amoxicillin.  Both of these are huge pills that taste AWFUL.  Chocolate syrup doesn't mask the taste at all.  If it were one syringe, we'd be ok, but this requires more.

Does anyone know of an antibiotic that works on standard ear infections that is either small or tasteless?

Thanks!!

Ingrid

• Re: Help! Need antibiotic suggestion for ear infection
    josefsdad Registered Users

Well my kids both take this for ear infections as a liquid. It is not bad tasting but has a strong citrus smell to it.

tlblmom Registered Users

Hi,

I pack all of my son's meds into empty capsules I buy at Whole Foods, which go down very smoothly.Before we did that, we would crack the pills and put them into "Nibs" ice cream and then he would swallow it, but that's not a great idea for all of his meds, like  6MP.  I think the amox liquid is good tasting (one of my kids actually asks for it!) but the augmentin liquid is VERY chalky and they hate it.

Good luck.

MDPBML5 Registered Users

Same here for us....My non cancer child who's 5 was on liquid Augmentin recently for an ear infection and HATED it.  He usually never complains about meds, but this one he did. He's taken liquid Amoxicillin and Omnicef as well for the ear without any fight.  I've personally tasted them all, and agree the Augmentin tastes awful.  My cancer child 2 1/2 has also taken liquid Amoxicillin and Zithromax without issues. I'd request the liquid form, anything to make something actually easier.

Good luck!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...