The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society - Fighting Blood Cancers
14 Replies Latest reply: Apr 25, 2012 1:50 PM by Tex RSS

Please give us some suggestions Found out Auto transplant didn't work  Moms birthday is April 5th

sheri Registered Users
Currently Being Moderated

Hi I wrote a post this morning asking for suggestions.  My mom got her bmb results yesterday and was told she has 91% blasts.  It has been 6 months since Auto transplant.  They say she is too close to last transplant to get another.  The Doc is saying there is nothing else they can do at this point.  She was originally diagnosed with AML m1 in Jan. 2009, given chemo, in remission until April last year.  Received an Auto transplant 6 months ago.  I know there is a wealth of information on these boards and have always recommended them to her.  She asked me to post a plea for help this morning.  While I was away from the computer all day, she has called intermittently, to update me that we had no updates!  Please, if anyone has any info you think may be helpful, please, let us know.  We are willing to travel, do trials, just please share your knowledge with us!  Also, if I am posting in the wrong place or doing something wrong on the boards, Please let me know.  I saw there had been 59 people that looked at our post.  Her birthday is in 15 minutes, April 5th.  Please help us

Sheri

• Re: Please give us some suggestions Found out Auto transplant didn't work  Moms birthday is April 5th
    lymphomajourney Registered Users

I am so sorry to hear this news. I do not have any specific advice - my situation with MCL and auto and allo transplants is different (LymphomaJourney) - but just wanted to let you know that I cared. Andrew

• Re: Please give us some suggestions Found out Auto transplant didn't work  Moms birthday is April 5th
    Teri Registered Users

I was diagnosed at age 58 with AML, got into remission, relapsed, had stem cell transplant and relapsed again. Almost 7 months ago the doctor did a DLI (donor lymphocyte infusion) with some of the remaining cells. I am doing well now. Of course, like everything else I don't know how long it will last. But there is hope after relapse even at my age. I'm 62 years old and have been living with this for 4 years. I would be happy to talk with your mom or email if she would like. Tell her not to give up!

Teresa

Tex Registered Users

Your mom had AML m1 and had an auto transplant?!  You might have grounds for a suit.  I have never heard of a m1 patient being given any option other than an allo.  From what I understand, that is borderline criminal.

I'd go to another doc who knows what the hell s/he is doing and see what s/he has to say.  I wouldn't trust this assessment.

Certainly the option of an allo transplant should be discussed.  The AML is going to kill her, so why not take a swing on it if you can.  I would certainly want competent doctors advising me at this point.

You can't do a DLI with an auto transplant.  The DLI uses donor cells to try to create graft vs host disease to combat the new cancer cells.  However, with an auto, there is no donor to give cells and your mom's cells won't create a GVH or GVL effect.

I always believe it's not over until it's over.  I didn't reply because I didn't see it until just now.   I log on in the morning and when I'm done, I go about my day.  Actually, there wasn't much action on this board at all, yesterday. 

Please remember that every time you or your mom look at the thread, it adds a view.  There are also bots out there scanning the net which count as a view when they scan the page.  I doubt very much that 59 different human beings actually looked at your first post.  Probably more like 10-15 and those folks probably didn't know what to say.

I hope your mom had a good meeting with the doc.  Please get a second opinion, though.

Blessings

• Please give us some suggestions Found out Auto transplant didn't work  Moms birthday is April 5th
    Teri Registered Users

Sheri, how are things going with your mom now? You did say she had an Allo transplant, right?

Teresa

sheri Registered Users

Thank you Tex, Kelly and Teresa!  Teresa, yes in the original post I had mistakenly put Allo instead of Auto.  Don't know how I could do that, guess just tired and desperate!  I went back and edited it as soon as I discovered my mistake.  I didn't realize that, that must have been why you responded.  Sorry, but we still appreciate it.

I just hung up with my mom.  She sounds very happy right now!  She is out shopping for Easter dinner, which she still wants to have at her house tomorrow! 

The last day I wrote was her birthday.  I met her at the hospital and her counts were borderline.  So because it was her birthday, they said she could wait until the next day for transfusions.  We had a lot of nice family events that day.  Tears sometimes, but more smiles and laughter.

Yesterday she spent the day getting transfusions.  We got numbers for The James in Columbus, and I found the post on here where

porciniak had told me who to contact at the Hutch.  Yes, after much searching also found out I had registered as Tired during my moms transplant.  I knew I was missing information!

So Monday we will start the process of second opinions. 

Hopefully you will be hearing from my mom soon too.  She brought her laptop to her transfusions with the intent to post to you all.  But wasn't able to log onto her account as her email wasn't working all day.  She was very frustrated!

Thank you all for your help!  Any more advice on how to go about the second opinion from the Hutch would be great.  Also ANY  thing you think we might need to know, we are kind of feeling like we don't know where to start.

Also moms wbc had gone from 27 to 33, last I saw.

Sheri

sheri Registered Users

Hi All,

I spoke with Dr. Reed at the Hutch and he referred us to Dr. Bloom at The James in Columbus.  We have an appointment set up for April 30th.  In the mean time, mom got a septic infection and spent a week in the hospital .  She got out yesterday and we were back there today for antibiotics.  She is having to use a walker as her legs are so swollen from the IV fluids.  I'm hoping that goes down soon.  I hope you all are doing well and thank you for your responses!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend