The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society - Fighting Blood Cancers
3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 29, 2012 5:37 PM by pewillia RSS

Has anybody else had this conditioning treatment before a HSCT?

pewillia Registered Users
Currently Being Moderated

My husband who is 58 years old just finished a HSCT at the Fred Hutchingson Cancer Center. He was diagnosed with a rare T Cell lymphoma (AITL)  last June and went through 6 treatments of CHOP with a complete remission result. It was decided that he should have an auto transplant as first line therapy due to the agressiveness of his disease. His last CHOP treament was October 28, 2010 and his conditioning treatment started February 8, 2011 with 4 days of TBI 2x a day, one day of high dose etoposide, and one day of high dose cytoxan, then stem cell transplantation. The treatment was very difficult and he ended up in the hospital for 14 days with severe skin reactions, edema, fevers, and nausea and vomiting. His doctors at the Hutch felt he was healthy enough to go through this difficult treatment and wanted to make sure that they got any hidden cancer cells. He was released post transplant day 28 and we are now home and he is recuperating. He is at day 36 and seems to be doing well and rebounding. Has anybody else had this same procedure done that has the same disease? I am curious to know how you are doing and if there is any advice that you have to help him keep healthy.

Much thanks

Peg

• Re: Has anybody else had this conditioning treatment before a HSCT?
    dawnsie123 Registered Users

Hi, there is a category for rarer lymphomas.  Maybe if you post there you might get some feedback.

lkat Registered Users

Hi Peg,
    Wondering how your husband is doing.  My mother is about to start this journey and looking for what to expect.

Thanks!

pewillia Registered Users

Hi Ikat, My husband is 14 months post transplant and doing okay. It is hard to know what is normal and what is not. Everyday is a new journey. Right now he is struggling with low blood counts and fatigue. Hopefully, they can find out what is causing this and direct us on a new course. The treatment he had for conditioning was very high dose but he was healthy enough to take it on. I hope your mom is doing okay..It's a long road and there will be times that she is doing really well and then times where she will feel totally lousy! If you are her caregiver, keeping her nutritionally well fed is important. Mucositis and dry mouth can be a real challenge with what they eat. Try getting the "Cancer Free Kitchen Cookbook" from Amazon. Best cookbook to guide you for great tasting meals and snacks for them. Takes some time with some of the recipes, but they are all good. Good luck to your mother and to you! If you want more details as to what to expect after treatment and during grafting, let me know.

take care

Peg

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend