The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society - Fighting Blood Cancers
1 8 9 10 11 12 57 Previous Next 852 Replies Latest reply: Mar 15, 2014 12:35 PM by Tex Go to original post RSS
  • 135. Re: My next step???
    felursus Registered Users
    Currently Being Moderated

The Bloody Mary was excellent.  The best one I ever had was in a restaurant in the Fanuil Market complex in Boston.  It's been years, and I still dream about it.  I measure all Bloody Mary's against that one (although it may be better in my memory than in fact).

Actually, it's the "Africans" who pulled away.  They wanted to take church property along with them - thus the fights.  My husband is an accountant and does work for two Episcopalian churches that were forceed (by the diocese) to merge for financial reasons.  The members of the two churches basically loathe each other.  (No "African" issues involved.)  I'm eternally amazed by church politics - it's almost as viscious as the politics in my co-op or current national politics.  There's an awful lot of "back-stabbing" going on.  Not very "Christian" of them at all.  Of course everyone's nice to me, personally, so I just smile sweetly and keep my mouth shut.

Karen

• 136. Re: My next step???
    willowbayfarm Registered Users

Since I live some 4 hours below the Canadian border, you're pretty much all Southerners in my book.  Sorry for the across-the-board generalization.  Ya'll talk with a twang, what can I say?

- WBF

• 137. Re: My next step???

I was thinking about you on Friday and hoping you would get a skilled practitioner to perform the BMB.  Sounds to me like you should've had that Bloody Mary before, not afterwards. 

Let us know what's going on in there when you know.

Cheers, WBF

• 138. Re: My next step???

I had a nice Valium and a morphine tablet before...  I think I'm just weirdly "wired".  He went in on the right (at least that's where I can "feel" it), but I definitely had a bit of radiation down the back of the left thigh.  My sweetie Andrew IS good at it.  We were chatting/joking throughout.  The NP who was with him thought we were "nuts".  It's still not a "fun" procedure.

Are you in Burlington?  I keep meaning to get there every time we venture to VT.  Our plans this year got uprooted by my little case of pneumonia, so I was in no fit state to drive when we went to VT a couple of weeks ago, and we had to depend on the kindness of others to take us up.  When I do the driving, we usually stay a couple of extra days.  Until the leukemia diagnosis we were considering retiring up in VT and had looked at some houses.  I figured I could do some home care, and we could "make our garden grow" - or whatever.  Alas....

Karen

• 139. Re: My next step???
    Tex Registered Users

It kind of depends on where you're at.  Yes, the Africans pulled away from the American church but, in the case out here, they threw the other church out of the premises and there was a prolonged court battle before the "American" church was allowed to return to the building.  The judge agreed it was the diocese's property not the church's so the diocese's church got it back.

Yes, church politics sucks.  I'm not sure I'd go back if I had reliable energy.  When you're trying to pastor some of the meat heads who've found their way into the church, it just seems like the kingdom of God is far, far away and they don't give a damn. 

It's not the back stabbing that bothered me so much as the back biting.  Some of these folks just nibble away at you until you're just not the person you were.

Don't get me started...

• 140. Re: My next step???
    Tex Registered Users

You know, most people notice my wife's accent (or twang).  She's from West Texas and those people have never pronounced a single vowel when they can manage to turn it onto five syllables.

On the other hand, coming from Dallas, most folks don't notice mine much at all.  Big D has been the focus of so much immigration that it gets pretty mixed up until it's a very mid western sound.  Hell, I went to Canada and no one commented until I asked a sales clerk if "ya'll" (the company) made the uniforms for all of the various Canadian Olympic teams.  That got her attention.

I'm afraid I write a lot more down home than I speak.

So it goes...

• 141. Re: My next step???

Our friend who is the organist/choir director for the two churches in question has nicknamed some if the parishioners of church #2 (the ones who are responsible for most of the "agita") "near-relatives of the Prince of Darkness" - commonly just referred to as "near-relatives".

• 142. Re: My next step???

I'm closer to the left coast - Eastern Washington.  Still, nobody says ya'll around these parts...

Vermont sounds really beautiful.  Just put that retirement plan on the delayed implementation program and do it a little later than you intended.

- WBF

• 143. Re: My next step???

Tex wrote:

those people have never pronounced a single vowel when they can manage to turn it onto five syllables.

Great description!  My laptop screen was momentarily on a spew alert when I read that!  Thanks for the chuckle.

- WBF

• 144. Re: My next step???

I've been busy today but had intended to reply with the following story:

I lived in London for 13 years, and my husband is English.  We had a lovely, little flat in Covent Garden.  When we came to NYC to live we sublet the flat to an American named Tim.  He knew he had been adopted as a baby from Atlanta but had grown up in San Francisco.  When the laws on finding birth parents were liberalized, he started looking and eventually found them.  His birth mother had married his birth father, and they had had a couple of more children.  He also had a half-brother from his mother's first marriage.  He had been given up for adoption, because when his mom found she was pregnant, her divorce from Husband #1 hadn't been finalized, and back in the 50s, it just "wasn't done" for a respectable woman to have an out-of-wedlock child.  His parents had both come from Charleston, SC, and his mom had been able to conceal her pregnancy by "disappearing" into the "big city" environment of Atlanta.  Well, they were most pleased to be reunited with Tim, buit he said he had a bit of an "identity problem", because, as he put it, he had never heard his name with so many syllables: "Tee-ee-im" was what he said they called him. 

There have been articles written lately about dialect differences around the country: not just the accent thing, but different words.  When I was 3 & 4 we spent the summers in Milwaukee where my dad was concert master of the summer music festival.  My mom told me that when I came home I asked another kid in the local playground if they'd like to go on the "teetertotter" with me. The other kid hadn't the faintest idea of what I was talking about.   East Coast translation: seesaw.

• 145. Re: My next step???
    Tex Registered Users

felursus wrote:

Our friend who is the organist/choir director for the two churches in question has nicknamed some if the parishioners of church #2 (the ones who are responsible for most of the "agita") "near-relatives of the Prince of Darkness" - commonly just referred to as "near-relatives".

Heard that

I knew both names for the see-saw.  I guess I preferred "see-saw" as that was my go to here.

• 146. Re: My next step???
    Tex Registered Users

willowbayfarm wrote:

Thanks for the chuckle.

Thanks for the validation.

• 147. Re: My next step???

Well the latest is that my pneumonia hasn't gone away.  It IS better - I have a super-duper stethoscope so can listen to my own breath sounds, but I still have crackles in the right lower lobe.  So today I went in and had a chest x-ray which confirmed it.  So we are trying a different antibiotic.  If that doesn't work, I'll have to go in for IV antibiotics.  Ugh!  Actually, my MD asked if I'd like to go in NOW for the IV abx, but I'd prefer not - especially as I foresee a lot of hospital time in my very near future in any case.   I also think I have a cracked rib - I've had one before when I've had pneumonia. (Last time was in '93, so it's not exactly a "chronic" problem.)  Cracked ribs take about 6 weeks to heal.  @#$&^%!!!!!!!

In the meantime the preliminary result of the BMB is back, and my blasts are up to about 30% again - which is just about where they were a year ago when I was first diagnosed.  My MD is going to call me tomorrow.  Of course I now can't do anything about the AML until I get rid of the pneumonia. 

Isn't this fun???!!!!!

• 148. Re: My next step???
    Tex Registered Users

Oh, yeah.  It's a f-in' hoot.

Sorry you're back where you were but you have a really slow-developing AML, it seems.  Just another way you have to be different, I guess.   It usually runs over us like a dragster.

Didn't you mention you had a performance coming up soon?  You think you might want to go see if you can get rid of the pneumonia before you sing? 

Of course, my hind brain is screaming that you ought to be getting chemo right this minute because one never knows when the disease might decide to pick up the pace.  If you were a slow responder, then it still makes sense to me that you'd want to get on top of it now.

But I think your docs know a lot better than me.  Let us know how your appointment goes and what the game plan is.

Blessings

• 149. Re: My next step???

The performance was two weeks ago - Verdi's "Requiem".  I was supposed to be placed in the front row, but I moved myself to the choir stalls (the performance was in a church) so I could sit when I needed to without being "seen" by the audience.  I did have breathing problems from the pneumonia, but I survived.

Yes, I know I need to do treatment NOW, but of course I can't have chemo while I'm fighting the pneumonia.  It's definitely better, but it isn't gone, and I had a chest x-ray yesterday, and it confirmed that the pna is still where it was (I know the breath sounds, while still not good, are definitely better than they were before the first course of antibiotics).  It also shows that it IS pna and not anything worse.  I was given the choice (yesterday) of either being immediately admitted for IV abx or of trying another course of oral drugs first - which is what I chose, because I think i'll be spending enought time "in the joint" - as you like to put it - in the very near future.

I did have my MSK consult and will probably be switching my care to there - much as I'll miss my current MD with whom I've developed a great relationship.  The guy at MSK was talking in terms of intermediate-dose ARA-C.  I had figured that it would happen in April.  At least he thinks that my leukemia IS sensitive to chemo and my cytogenics haven't changed in a year.  I guess I'm not through being "weird".

1 8 9 10 11 12 57 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...