The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society - Fighting Blood Cancers
1 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next 101 Replies Latest reply: Mar 23, 2012 2:34 PM by pammartin Go to original post RSS
  • 75. Re: Medical Marijuana
    Tex Registered Users
    Currently Being Moderated

Oh, yeah, not to mention decreased costs for all legal procedures against both users, sellers and growers.  I don't know what the current expenditures are but I'll bet we could almost balance the budget by reducing those costs.

Well, that and taxing the hell outta pot like we do smokes and booze.

You do realize that they advertise booze like it's going out of business, though, right?

• 76. Re: Medical Marijuana
    Tex Registered Users

Well, I see the relationship of ethics and morals as a little bit more complex than the definitions you presented.  Basically, I see them as related but separate...kind of. 

I see morals as specific to generalized philosophies about what it right and wrong in life.  I see ethics as the steps or processed by which we live our morals.  Think of it as objectives and action plans.

However we define the whole mess, though, there are people who are moral, those who are immoral and those who are amoral.  Most of us are a combination of the three to some greater or lesser degree.

My point is that bad ethics are informed by bad morals.  So, there is ethics in everything we do.  Sometimes they're morally based and other times immorally or amorally.

At least that's how I've ordered the issue in my life.  Sometimes I need things tidy.

• 77. Re: Medical Marijuana
    porciniak Registered Users

Very good points and thanks for pulling this back on topic

• 78. Re: Medical Marijuana
    markf Registered Users

Tex,

I forgot about all of those beer commercials on TV.  Though, I don't remember seeing commercials about the harder stuff.  Is there a ban on advertising the harder stuff?

Mark

• 79. Re: Medical Marijuana

No Mark, Jamison Whiskey has commercials during Jon Stewart.

• 80. Re: Medical Marijuana
    Tex Registered Users

There used to be a ban on hard liquor ads on TV.  I think that changed within the past five to ten years.  Not sure when.  Nobody can be seen actually drinking the stuff, so far as I know.  That's always been the rule with beer and wine.

But, yeah, they've been hitting the TV hard for awhile now.  Lots of vodka commercials for some reason.  I like the Jameson commercials, they've got a touch of humor.  What can I say?  I'm a Bushmills fan.

• 81. Re: Medical Marijuana
    markf Registered Users

My mistake.  I guess that I don't watch enough TV programs with commercials.

• 82. Re: Medical Marijuana
    pammartin Registered Users

Since I discovered the DVR I am not sure what a commercial is.

• 83. Re: Medical Marijuana
    Lottie Registered Users

Hi all,

I just saw this discussion and it;s actually relevent for Nate and I right now.

Nate's oncologist cant go as far as prescribing it, because MMJ is illegal here in NH. He did, however, talk about it's benefits and mention he "doesnt see a problem" with Nate using it, so long as he doesnt smoke it. It will help with his lingering nausea, his anxiety, and his pain. So my dad is helping us out with a small supply, and I am going to try my hand at baking it for the first time. I am a tad nervous as I dont know how to make them and I dont want to waste a whole bunch on a batch that wouldnt be "potent." Any suggestions?

• 84. Re: Medical Marijuana

Tough question, I've not baked any in decades

I googled the issue and they are all over the board on volume of active ingredient, lol; however, too potent is not so much an issue,  one can always eat a small or half of a brownie, small is better with eating issues.

And, the recipes are way more sop histicated.  Take a look at some recipes on line and go for it, using the method that seems most comfortable to your baking style.  Thankfully, dry mixes are easily cut in half so you're only experimenting with a small quantity until you get a product your son will eat. .

Ask your Dad to get dosage information, product varies widely and the current cultivar's are products of the wizards of genetic breeding for generations. I'd start with using  a tablespoon for  half a batch, boxed mix, imho;.

• 85. Re: Medical Marijuana
    Tex Registered Users

Lottie,

A couple of things.  First, there is a medicine called Marinol that is THC derived.  THC being the active ingredient that makes us happy when we do pot.  It's approved by the FDA and it works.  My problem was that it knocked me out when I took it.  Since it's legal for me, I find that having lesser doses of the THC from having a small bit of pot makes me feel relaxed but I'm able to remain conscious.

I'm thinking that where Nate is right now, he might be okay to be a little loopy from the pill.  Worth a try.  Not sure how much difference there will be between eating it and taking the pill anyway.

As for baking, I've never had anything go wrong.  Basically, I've just ground the hell out of it until it's a fine powder and then mixed it in with the brownie (or whatever) ingredients.  I think some people boil the hell out of it to extract the oils and then mix them in with the batter.  That's a lot of effort and isn't cost-wise as it takes a lot to do that.

It does taste better that way, I think.  But it isn't that hard to eat the powder.  Just be sure the brownies, if that's your choice, are really fudgy.

You didn't say how much a small supply is.  If it's less than an ounce, you'll want to use it as needed instead of committing the entire thing to a brownie.  One thing that really works for me in those situations is pancakes.  You only use as much as you need for these pancakes today and it leaves you the opportunity to learn how much to put in to hit an acceptable "high."  It also has the advantage that you can put as much syrup on it as it takes to make the taste okay.

Plus, you get to eat pancakes!

Hope this helps.

• 86. Re: Medical Marijuana
    Tex Registered Users

porciniak wrote:

Ask your Dad to get dosage information, product varies widely and the current cultivar's are products of the wizards of genetic breeding for generations.

That's one of the problems with it illegal.  Most dealers won't have a clue about the chemical composition or potency.  At least they didn't back when I was doing this stuff years ago without benefit of a blessing from the state.  In most of the stores here, they can't actually tell you how much of the drug is actually in any given plant.

Personally, I think that using a tablespoon per half batch would just waste a tablespoon of weed.  I don't think it would be that potent.  Of course, that might be affected by how used you are to it.  I mean, I generally think an ounce per mix.  That would probably be too much but I think a quarter ounce per half batch would be a good starting point.  But I also like my pancake idea.

Mmmmm...pancakes.

• 87. Re: Medical Marijuana
    Lottie Registered Users

Hi Tex and Porciniak,

thanks for the advice. i got a 1/4 ounce from my dad (never thought that would happen lol) and he gave me some baking suggestions that he used when he "was a younger man" lol. Basically he said use half of it and make a small batch of brownies to try it out, and then go from there.

I'll also check out wbout marinol since this isnt covered by insurance and isnt cheap!

• 88. Re: Medical Marijuana
    Tex Registered Users

Lottie wrote:

this isnt covered by insurance and isnt cheap!

Not even when it's legal.  And there is no deduction for it on my income taxes.

• 89. Re: Medical Marijuana

Tex wrote:

porciniak wrote:

Ask your Dad to get dosage information, product varies widely and the current cultivar's are products of the wizards of genetic breeding for generations.

That's one of the problems with it illegal.  Most dealers won't have a clue about the chemical composition or potency.  At least they didn't back when I was doing this stuff years ago without benefit of a blessing from the state.  In most of the stores here, they can't actually tell you how much of the drug is actually in any given plant

Your point is well taken; but, the buyers and sellers are way more knowledgeable these days and cultivar information is a huge selling point.  I can tell you've not read High Times lately, lol, you might want to take a look at this magazine.  It provides an overview of an industry that's grown up since 'our' days.

Personally, I think that using a tablespoon per half batch would just waste a tablespoon of weed.  I don't think it would be that potent.  Of course, that might be affected by how used you are to it.  I mean, I generally think an ounce per mix.  That would probably be too much but I think a quarter ounce per half batch would be a good starting point.  But I also like my pancake idea.

Pancakes are a great idea!!  Ymmm, 16 table spoons to a dry oz, 1/4 oz  = 4 tablespoons. One table spoon is not to much to dedicate to an experiment.  And trust me.  This is not '60's mj.  No one can affort an oz these days, for retail an oz would run upwards from ~ 300 $.  Need I repeat this is not the 60's?

1 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Incoming Links