The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society - Fighting Blood Cancers
4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 3, 2012 2:27 PM by abslater RSS

question

Anonymous Registered Users
Currently Being Moderated

I am mostly looking for reassurance that everything is fine. My doc is more concerned than I am.

I have a CBC done twice a year as follow-up for an unrelated situation. When I was a child I had some of my

lymphnodes removed due to infection and since then I've had twice a year labs. Luckily I live on the coast

and in a major city so it's easily enough done.

My doc noticed that over the last few years my Neutrophiles have been going down and are now low, my Eosinophils have been going up

and our now high at over twice the upper limit of normal and my Lymphocytes are now high. It's been a gradual change so I'm guessing

everything is ok. However my doc was concerned enough to ask me to get another check etc. sooner than normal and mentioned concern

over my fatigue and headaches as well as "fullness" and shortness of breath that has been happening. (I think my doc's concerned because of family history of

both Leukemia and Lymphoma but last I checked these weren't inherited)

If you could all just tell me not to stress about it that would be wonderful.

• Re: question
    Trey Registered Users

If this were not happening over a long period of time it would not be much of a concern.  But since it has continued over a couple years, and since you have other symptoms it should be investigated for L&L issues. 

One issue appears to be the high eosinophils, and there are a number of maladies associated with it:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/eosinophilia/MY00399/DSECTION=causes

The neutrophils may not actually be low, depending on how you are reading the report.  If the lymphocytes are high, then by percentage the neutrophils will read as low since the lymphocyte percentage is high, but the absolute neutrophil count may actually be normal.  So maybe they are high, and maybe not.  The high lymphocytes also have a number of causes, but unless they are quite high, they can rise and fall for a number of reasons.  But again, the associated other symptoms should raise the level of concern, and should be investigated.

If it were me, I would have the spleen checked by CT scan to see if it is enlarged.  The "fullness" and shortness of breath can be from an enlarged spleen.  If the spleen is enlarged, a hematologist should definitely be consulted, since the spleen and lymph nodes are part of the same lymphatic system, and would raise the possibility of an L&L issue.  And seeing a hematologist anyway would be a reasonable idea due to your combined symptoms.

Anonymous Registered Users

I guess the neutrophil number that's low is the absolute (?) neturophil count, the % is also low but my doc seems more concern about the absolute number. Does that make a difference?

Trey Registered Users

It depends on how low the ANC is.  But it does not change the need to see if you have an enlarged spleen because of your complaint about feeling full and shortness of breath, along with your fatigue and overall symptoms, which are significant enough to be checked out. 

abslater Registered Users

I'd like to tell you not to stress, but I think it's smarter to get a full check from a hemotologist. I don't want to alarm you, but my daughter with ALL Leukemia had high esonophils at diagnosis, which they said is not the typical presentation. We were initially send to an Auto-Immune doctor and told it was definitely not cancer since her presentation was not typical. She's doing well and in treatment. But instead of hoping not to stress ...get the answer that you need ...hoping that you are going to be fine - but get checked out --

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend