The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society - Fighting Blood Cancers
44 Replies Latest reply: Nov 30, 2011 4:14 PM by leann's_mom RSS

cancel my last post its a relapse.....

nana Registered Users
Currently Being Moderated

Ok, so my son is a year OT and he has his first "major" health issue.  I say "major" because it is the first one to send me into a tailspin.  He has had a cold for about a week--runny nose, little cough but nothing serious.  Fast forward to Friday evening--I noticed a sore on his lip and inside his mouth. Ok that could just be a cold sore.  Then saw he has a huge angry bruise on his upper arm (size of soft ball) it also has a hard lump under skin.  He can't explain where it came from.  Then later another bruise on his chest, then one on his hand, then foot and knee.  All appeared between Friday and Saturday night.  No reason for them.  Then noticed petechea (sp?) on his feet, legs,stomach and behind ears.  This morning he now has 2 sores on his tongue and 4 in his mouth and petechea all over and about 6 unexplained bruises/lumps.

My husband took him to clinic this morning, its been about 3hrs and they are waiting for blood results and Onc.  I know a virus can cause these symptoms and if he only had one I could talk myself into that but all at the same time--YIKES! I am freaking out.

This being the first real issue after treatment--I am a mess.  I just wonder if there will be a day that cancer doesn't rule my world?????

Nana

Well I just got a call it is confirmed relapse  I don't know any details  Holy Crap!!!!

• Re: cancel my last post its a relapse.....
    BriannaMom Registered Users

I’m sorry about your news.  I will pray for you, your son and the rest of your family.

Elke'smom Registered Users

Nana,

my first response was to yell, "NO NO NO NO NO!!!!" at the computer screen.  I am so very sorry to hear this.  I hate this disease.  Hate it.

Hoping relapsers with more wisdom will chime in soon.  Hang in there, and know that we're here for you.

Ann

mom2samandmad Registered Users

Oh Nana,

I saw your first post and didn't have a chance to respond at that time. I'm so sorry to hear this devastating news. Please know we asre all thinking of you and hoping for a swift new remission with minimal side effects.

Becky

Peter'sMum Registered Users

Nana,

I am just stunned to read your news. Can't think of a word to say really. Just know that I am thinking of you guys and furious that you are going through this.

Bridget

aboutthewin Registered Users

Nana, I'm so very sorry to hear this news. Angry, sad.... too many emotions to even express. You've been such a wonderful support for so many people on this board, please know we're here to return the favor. Thinking of you and Jakob during this difficult time but also KNOWING he will beat this dreadful beast for good this time around. Mile high hugs to you....

Kristen

robbieh Registered Users

No words of wisdom.  Just want to tell you how sorry I am and how angry it makes me.  This disease is just so unfair!

Robbie

norrim04 Registered Users

Nana, I am at a loss for words and am crushed with/for you. Damn it.

<3 Margaret

ronitn Registered Users

Nana, I'm so very sorry. You supported everyone else and now it's our turn. Many prayers going to your family.

Ronit

EvansMumma Registered Users

Nana -

Oh dear God.  I am so sorry, sick in my gut sorry.  Disbelief owns my thoughts.  I will pray, because that's what I know to do right now. 

Just so wrong. 

Big hugs.  Renee

mom2Graham63 Registered Users

Nana,

Oh NO!! A year off treatment?!?!?!? I can imagine that maybe you were just starting to relax....a little....what a heartbreaking shock!! I am so sorry! I, too, will be praying!

Lorna

Nicholas'sMommy Registered Users

Nana,

I am sorry to hear this.  We will be praying for your son and entire family!

God Bless

tburkhardt Registered Users

Nana,

I am in complete and utter shock over this.  Breathe.  We're here for you, like you have always been for so many of us.

nana Registered Users

Thanks to everyone.  I am truly in complete shock--1year and wham!!!   Even our medical team is shocked.  Jakob had wonderful counts at last check(about a month ago) and now I am sitting in a hospital room waiting for platelets.....  So low that he is urinating blood???? How does this happen. 

Ok what I know so far is that we are going to transplant.  No ifs ands or buts.  This decision is unanimous (sp?) with all Drs here and all that have been contacted.  What we are waiting on is the BMB tomorrow and then we will decide what plan to follow to get us there. 

I don't know when I will update.  I have now to learn all about transplant. 

Thank you all so much for the support. 

Huntersmom Registered Users

I have no words, just tears and a sick feeling in my stomach. One year OT....I agree how does this happen? I HATE this disease!!  So unfair. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers!! Hugs.

tlblmom Registered Users

Hi,

How heartbreaking. I'm so sorry. You are in my prayers for strength and healing.

leann's_mom Registered Users

Nana,

I am sitting here in our hospital room in tears. I am absolutely completely shocked and heart broken for you. Beyond angry and so devestated! I cannot believe Jakob made it to a year before this happen. Cancer sucks. I know Jakob will beat this, once and for all. If he ends up on COG 0433 to get him back into remission, feel free to send me a PM or email. We can exchange notes. I know right now you feel angry, upset, confused, hurt...feel all of that. You have a right to feel that, but also know I am confidant Jakob will beat this.

With love,

Karen and Leann (CNS relapse, MRD+ 11/15/11)

Puddintate Registered Users

I cannot begin to imagine how heartbroken, shocked and scared you are right now.  Please know that you, your son and your entire family are in my prayers for strength and healing.  Hope you know how many people are holding you close and sending your their love and comforting thoughts...

jeriL Registered Users

I am so truly sorry to read about Jackob. This is just so unfair and it, well it sucks!

My son is getting ready for transplant, he relapsed several weeks ago, and if you need any info on the transplant road I'll be happy to try and help. You and your family are in my thoughts.

harrisms Registered Users

Oh, Nana, I'm so sorry to hear this news, and I'm thinking of you and Jakob.  I'm glad, though, to hear that you've made the decision for the BMT and feel good about it.  Please keep us posted.

Suzan

annie.zz Registered Users

I'm sitting here stunned as well, and so sad and angry.  You've been a tremendous source of strength and support for me, and for so many here - and it's that strength and support that I hope is there for you now.  Sending every hug, every prayer, every bit of love and support that I can.

Elke'smom Registered Users

Nana,

One thing (of the many) that I have always valued you for is your practical, no-nonsense advice to so many of us, that was always helpful and supportive at the same time.  Sounds like you've kicked into gear already, learning about transplant.  I'm glad you have a plan.  Transplant is daunting, but this is Jakob's chance to kill those [so many expletives want to come out I wouldn't know where to start] evil leuk cells into oblivion.  We are all here for you, just so sad and angry that Jakob must go through this, but eager to support you in any way possible.

Ann

MomofNicholas Registered Users

How awful and unfair!  Thoughts and prayers with your family.  I hate this.  ~Theresa

Brandi2020 Registered Users

I hadn't checked in a for a couple of week and this was the first post I saw.  I hate this so much.  You have always had wise words and offered much support on this board during the three years I have been coming here.  Please know your son and family are in my thoughts and prayers. 

Gabbiesmom Registered Users

I am so so so sorry!  For all the good it does. DANG!!!!!! I haven't said it today...but I HATE CANCER!!  Dang dang dang dang!!

More prayers coming from here.

MDPBML5 Registered Users

Nana,

I have no words to tell you how hard we are taking this here too.  I feel like I could vomit this very moment.  As you know Marin also has the MLL rearrangement and you were so supportive and wise during our first few days after diagnosis.  You talked me off many ledges.  I would be lying if I wasn't admittedly SCARED to death for our children.  Your Jakob's success was something I too was clinging to in hopes that Marin would be once and for all rid of this ugly disease.  Now' I'm extra worried for the both of them.  I am cussing, kicking and screaming for your family tonight.  I wish you nothing but success in your new journey fighting the beast.  F*#@K!!!!!!!  I HATE cancer and it's everlasting hold on us all.  All of these relapses are making me wonder if there ever are any real happy success stories out there anymore.

Hugs,

Dawn

balkan123 Registered Users

I always thought that you are among people from safe zone.......I always presumed that 4-5 months OT shall be enough to reach the safety net,,,,Hope the remission comes fast and stays that way ever after...Our prayers...No other relapse news was so hard on me as this one....I learnt of 4-5 from these boards...coz Jacob was among the already won figure for me.....Now my worries are increased.....

Gavinsmom Registered Users

I am so sorry.  I can't tell you angry it makes me that he will have to endure this again.  Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers.

mysweetboy Registered Users

I am so saddened by the news. I cannot imagine the terror you must be feeling.  I am praying for you and your whole family.

-Mary B.

StephanieJ Registered Users

Such sad news Nana. Im very sorry you and Jacob have to face this beast again. Im so sorry.

EthansMum Registered Users

So sorry to hear about Jacob, you are all in our thoughts.  Tish

Shakinquaker Registered Users

Like everyone else, I feel horrible for you.  Starting over sucks and is so frightening.  Always remember- relapse CAN be beaten!!  There are kids who relapse, do chemo and go on with long lives.  And the fact that he relapsed so far out from treatment holds even more hope in my opinion.  Sending you all the positive energy and light that I can.

greeney Registered Users

I am so sorry to read this news Nana...it's devastating to have to start over again, I can only imagine your current pain & heartache, I have tears for your son, you & family, I will be thinking of you all...Hugz

Jenn

rmajor Registered Users

Hi NAna,

I am devastated to read this.  The relapse protocol is tough, but having been off treatment for a year does give Jakob a bit of an edge, his body has had time to heal.  Transplant was a terrifying word for us, but Maddie is now 4.5 months post transplant and doing quite well.  In fact, we saw her primary BMT dr. tonite at a hospital function and she is giving a lecture tomorrow that features Maddie. We too followed the same relapse protocol as Leanne and had a matched unrelated donor transplant on 7/20/2011.  There is a wealth of information on the ACOR relapsed ALL site, although, in the beginning of the relapse protocol, I read nothing, was too scared.  Then, when Maddie was being admitted to the BMT unit, right before we walked through the double doors to the isolation rooms, a patient had a sign on her door that said " Transplant day +101"  it was the best thing I'd seen...it gave us confirmation that lots of kids do well with transplants.  We saw that patient tonite, she has started her college classes and is working part time.  I know you are terrified, angry, disbelieving, and shocked, but Jakob CAN do this.  If you want to talk, email me.

Blessings,

Robyn

nana Registered Users

Forgive me if this doesn't make alot of sense--

We have a plan for starting treatment tomorrow. It is still waiting for some final test results to finalize.  We are not going on study.   We are doing 5days of Clofarabine,Etopisode,Cyclophosphamide.   Jakob has had VP16 and cyclo before but clofarabine is new.  Any of your experience to share?      Depending on LP results from today---we will put more or less LP's throughout the month

I would really like to say Thanks for all the messages of support. 

bravegirl Registered Users

Nana,

I have absolutely nothing to say, except that I am sorry and so bl***dy angry to hear this. I am shocked. I understand that typically the first year of OT has the highest chances of relapse; however one does not expect this specially once you've gone through the treatment. I am glad to hear that you've been able to keep some amount of sanity while making some tough decisions and proceed ahead. Do remain strong and, always remember, you and your family will overcome and beat this dastardly disease and we are all here with you as you go through this rather tough journey.

God Bless and my prayers are with you...

Puneet

Peter'sMum Registered Users

Nana, I hope Jeri reads this and chimes in, as Daniel just went though the same 5 days of treatment. It really wiped him out, but he is doing great now.

I will be hoping that Jakob's CNS is clear.

Thinking of you a lot,

Bridget

jeriL Registered Users

Hi Nana,

My son just did the same 5 day treatment, and I will not lie, the Chlofarbine kicked his little booty. We found the relapse (10% Leuk cells 5 days before checking in for transplant). The 1st night was the worst, Daniel had a fever all night and it went up to 106.8 and heart rate went up to 191 at one point, they were able to get it under control but I was a wreck watching. Over the next few days Daniel had bad nausea and retching, he developed a full body chemo 'sunburn' (they called it a rash). The sunburn itched like crazy, he was on benadryl and atavan while I slathered him with aquaphor and that brought him some relief. He lost all of his appetite and is still on TPN and Lipids. We are 3 weeks out from the chemos and still waiting for his counts to rise. Onc came in yesterday and said maybe next week we would do the BMA to see if the Leuk cells were knocked down and then we go straight to transplant. Also, these last few days he has had severely swollen gums and few mouth sores so get them to stay on top of that. D is also still getting a fever each day, he will be fever free all day and around 8 each night his fever goes up to around 38.8 then slowly goes down, we have had every test and scan run and they can't find a cause for the fevers. D is still cranky and doesn't have much energy but does play in his bed. This will be a hard round for Jackob, and you, but it is doable. Please feel free to message me with any questions. I don't have good wi-fi here at hospital so it may take a while to respond. I've been thinking about you and Jackob these past few days and I'm sending you a big hug.

leann's_mom Registered Users

Nana,

No advice on Jakob's specfic plan, as Leann's relapse protocol is three reinduction blocks before transplant. Block one is 28 days long with vcr, pred, doxo, IT triples, and since her plan is modified, she also gets Velcade. Block two is inpatient high dose Ara-C and block three is five days of VP-16 and Cytoxan. Hugs.

-Karen

Carrie&Hannah Registered Users

Nana,

I am so sorry! I don't have any advice on his new treatment plan.  I'm sure others will know.  I will hope and pray for you guys.  Big hugs.

Carrie

suzziep Registered Users

Nana,

I am so sorry for this bad news..I will be saying prayers

Sue

jenspassions Registered Users

So very sorry

Djlawman Registered Users

Nana -- so very sorry to hear this.  We certainly hope that transplant goes smoothly.  Good luck to Jakob.  You're in our hearts.

Doug

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...