The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society - Fighting Blood Cancers
7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 1, 2011 3:02 PM by SheebaKersten RSS

Adult ALL Relapse

hfisher Registered Users
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

My mom is 60 and was just told this past weekend that she has relapsed.  She was diagnosed in June of 2010 and did the HPER-CVAD treatment. She also did 9 Intrathecal Chemo sessions. She was diagnosed with B-Cell, Philadelphia negative ALL.  She has been in remission since last November...she goes in tomorrow to meet with her oncologist, but I was just wondering if anyone out there can relate of share what happens now? We are so worried and hoping for the best possible outcome. Thanks!

• Re: Adult ALL Relapse
    matthew8348 Registered Users

I'm so very sorry about your mother's relapse. My mother is 62 (soon to be 63) also has ALL (pre-b, ph negative). My mother is currently on round 7 of Hyper-CVAD and I always fear that terrible news of relapse.  From what our doctors tell us, and from what I've been reading, a bone marrow transplant is the next step after a relapse. Well, the first step is to get back into remission with more chemo and then a transplant.

I don't know much about transplants so I would recommend to post a new topic in the transplant discussion board. I really hope and pray that your mother can safely get through this horrible disease.

hfisher Registered Users

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for sharing.  I will definitely do a new post in the transplant board. I hope you mom is doing well and I am glad she is almost done with the Hyper-CVAD! I will keep her in my prayers!

My mom is going back into tomorrow to do some more chemo, one that is given to children that relapse with ALL.  They really want her to do the Bone Marrow transplant so that seems like the goal at this point. Still putting all the information together and hoping for the best possible outcome.

Keep me posted on your mom!

Hope_Floats Registered Users

I'm sorry to hear about your mother's relapse.  I think I was more scared when I heard the news my son had relapsed, then when he was diagnosed.  My son's relapse was in the CNS (brain), he did quickly achieve remission though and they quickly sent him to transplant.  We opted to go to MDA for his transplant although we had many reputable centers closer to home (NY).  Mainly because we felt they were the most knowledgeable about leukemia and about transplants.  While we were there, we met several patients your mom's age getting transplants, a few even out patient, and they were doing wonderfully when we left.  My son is doing well today, he will celebrate 5 years post transplant this Thanksgiving weekend.  I will hope and pray for your mother and all your family.....

God Speed,

Sue

hfisher Registered Users

Thanks for sharing Sue! I really appreciate it. I am so glad your son is doing well! Definitely something to celebrate this Thanksgiving weekend!

My mom is going in tomorrow to start some additional chemo, one that has been given to children with ALL that have relapsed.  The goal is to buy some time and hopefully get into remission.  They really want to do the bone marrow transplant following the chemo as they believe she has a 15% chance of getting into remission with just the chemo. Her brothers were not a match but we hope to find one.  One day at time seems to be the approach. Its good to hear positive outcomes and stories especially of those in the same age group!

We live in LA so she will be going to City of Hope for the transplant. We are keeping hope!

Take Care,

paralyzed Registered Users

News like this is always difficult to hear...but all too common with the acute leukemias.

My wife...49..dxed Pre-B ALL 12/09...SCT 4/10...doing well now 19 months post SCT.

ALL is aggressive and she too did Hyper-Cvad..inthrathecial chemo and prior to transplant also had TBI...total body irradiation.

While the future seems uncertain, be certain with one step at a time this too can be overcome. The first steps are finding a match, either sibling or from the national registry, while getting her back in remission.

Keep us posted on her successes.

Jim

hfisher Registered Users

Hi Jim,

Thank you for sharing. I am so glad to hear your wife is doing well! It also gives me hope My mom is going in tomorrow to start some additional chemo, one that has been given to children with ALL that have relapsed.  The goal is to buy some time and hopefully get into remission.  They really want to do the bone marrow transplant following the chemo as they believe she has a 15% chance of getting into remission with just the chemo. Her brothers were not a match but we hope to find one.  One day at time seems to be the approach. Please keep me posted on your wife. Would love to hear more about her story, especially going through the SCT.Its all very unfamiliar to us. Ironically, my mom is an oncology nurse so she knows way to much about ALL.

Take Care,

Hayley

SheebaKersten Registered Users

Ive gone into relapse many times and it took a transplant to finally put me in remission. I am now 3 years post transplant and Im finallt starting to live my life again. Granted im 27, but believe me when i tell you that my struggle though a unique one, is very difficult with life long side effects. Be encouraged and remember to endure. You're not alone!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend