The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society - Fighting Blood Cancers
4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 28, 2011 12:48 PM by kimmeebee RSS

Good read

doublewishmom Registered Users
Currently Being Moderated

I guess being a "Tiger Mother" is the hot topic right now. Pretty sure I do not want to be a Tiger Mother.

But here is an interesting article I thought many parents here would relate to.....

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/16/opinion/sunday/notes-from-a-dragon-mom.html?_r=1

dwm

• Re: Good read
    RettsMom Registered Users

I really enjoyed the last paragraph - thanks for sharing!

Kristen

EthansMum Registered Users

Thank you

mysweetboy Registered Users

Thank you. Gives me a little perspective, something to pull out of the back of my mind the next time we have a bad day.

kimmeebee Registered Users

Oh that was a good article. I related so much to the whole thing, but especially this part:

NOBODY asks dragon parents for advice; we’re too scary. Our grief is primal and unwieldy and embarrassing. The certainties that most parents face are irrelevant to us, and frankly, kind of silly. Our narratives are grisly, the stakes impossibly high. Conversations about which seizure medication is most effective or how to feed children who have trouble swallowing are tantamount to breathing fire at a dinner party or on the playground. Like Dr. Spock suddenly possessed by Al Gore, we offer inconvenient truths and foretell disaster.

Even though Emma wasn't terminally ill, she did have a serious, potentially terminal illness that required a lot of medical intervention. To say that all the parenting stuff I thought was important went right out the window would be an understatement. Even now when I'm trying to get her back on track emotionally, set firmer boundaries and show her how to live normally (and myself too for that matter!) I have time giving a rat's ass about so many things that were important before. And the lingering grief I feel does just as the author says...it makes other people's issues seem irrelevant.

A dragon mom. I dig that!! I'mma go breathe some FIRE now. :~)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...