The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society - Fighting Blood Cancers
8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 26, 2011 12:32 PM by Tex RSS

Class Warfare

Tex Registered Users
Currently Being Moderated

Anyone else ever noticed they only use that term when it's the ulta-rich are the in the crosshairs?

They have waged war against the poor and middle class, financially and environmentally, throughout history.  But that doesn't seem to matter.

• Re: Class Warfare
    porciniak Registered Users

Why is it that I'm the only one who doesn't avoid your contentious issues?

Many people are upset and I support the March on Wall Street.

Just yesterday this was a news item:

Citigroup paying $285M to settle SEC fraud charges

Well now it would be more satisfying to see jail terms, even Club Fed would be a tolerable penalty for such egregious behavior.  Money's a penalty? I think not.  Taxpayers footing the bill to get this settlement that will then be paid to investors.  Weird, eh?

Back to your issue.

Perhaps those that are using the term feel that it's use will make people stop and think. Or the 1% controls the media and they are well aware that we all want to be part of that 1% and thus will think twice about doing to much damage to the 'system'

Too late to emulate the French and treat them like Bourbons.  Too many sophisticated tools of warfare, darn it

Tex Registered Users

Yeah, the whole Citi thing pisses me off.  But what are you going to do?

I think this whole thing is just more Joe the Plumber stuff.  As long as people keep buying the lie that anyone can become wealthy in this economic structure, they'll keep protecting their pipe dreams.  Well, that and the way the spin docs make it seem that getting a little more money from the rich means we'll take a lot more money from everyone else.

Strangely, if one party would advocate such disparity, it would be the Republicans.  They think it's just fine that Warren Buffett pays a lower effective tax rate than his houskeeper.  They seem to think that's the way things should be.  Wish I could remember which one of those idiots said, in response to Buffett's editorial that "all rich people aren't billionaires."  (Or something like that.)

I don't know why you reply but I'm glad you do...that someone does.  Thanks.

Well, I feel well enough to tackle 'em   I can remember times when I couldn't even look at contenious tops and certainly didn't have the will or energy to respond!

Anywho:

How about this:

Slate:  Newt Gingrich sounded a theme that nearly every Republican candidate has  used against President Obama. “When I am president,” Gingrich promised,  “we're going to replace class warfare with cooperation.”

And then, for nearly two hours, the Republican candidates waged class warfare.

It's all rhetoric, imho.  Unless they bash the 'other guy' no one will listen to them; and, unfortunately that is most likely the case.  It's no wonder that only seriously disturbed individuals are willing to become politicans.  Though, we're in better shape than we could be, eh?

Dick Cheney as Defense Secretary?  Surprised he didn't off everyone above him in the chain of command and become president, FGS!!  But then, he didn't have to did he?  Haliburton did just fine from the war.

Did I get side tracked, yep, sorry.

Surely most everyone is sick of the GOP Dog and Pony show.  As for me, I watch Jon Stewart 'cause I need a laugh.

dj

Tex Registered Users

That's why I watch Stewart, too.  It just winds up pissing me off sometimes...the funny can get overrun by the sheer stupidity and tragedy of it all.

You know, they talk about the old days, like the Lincoln-Douglas debates and say things are much more "civil" these days.  Maybe so, in a way, but they didn't have the science of developing talking points and picking the right words for the maximum reactive response from people.  They might've called each other sons of whores but they didn't know that a phrase like "class warfare" would bring an optimal response from John Q.  It's just more cynical IMO.

I'm not exonerating the Dems.  Frankly, they try too.  They're just so inept and ineffective at it it's hard ot get angry with them.  They're just kind of pitiful.

What I do find unbelievable is the GOP's ability to get rank and file people angry at things like "class warfare" on the rich when the rich have been screwing us all for years.  They can even work middle class people up against a plan that would actually relieve middle class taxes at the slight inconveniencing of people who have more money than they could spend in a lifetime.

By the way, how are you doing?

I'm not exonerating the Dems.  Frankly, they try too.  They're just so inept and ineffective at it it's hard ot get angry with them.  They're just kind of pitiful.

Yes, unfortunately they are too

You know, they talk about the old days, like the Lincoln-Douglas debates and say things are much more "civil" these days.  Maybe so, in a way, but they didn't have the science of developing talking points and picking the right words for the maximum reactive response from people.  They might've called each other sons of whores but they didn't know that a phrase like "class warfare" would bring an optimal response from John Q.  It's just more cynical IMO.

At least, in the 'good old days' they knew what they wanted!   One example, 1876 Florida sent in 3 different sets of ballots, and finally threw the election to the Democrats when they promised to get Federal troops out of Florida.

The Republican's look little able to put forth a canditate who will appeal to enough

people to get elected and these debates are pitful, oh well.

The Dems are so clueless that they got Obama elected.  If I'd been queen I'd have handed the election to McCain & McBarbie for surely the Reubs deserve to be dealing with this mess they chiefly created.

I'm doing ok,thanks for asking,  keeping busy, riding my bike & taking photo's in cemeteries.  Can't seem to keep medical appointments, just a tad of ptsd left over & if I never have another one I'll be just fine

How about you?

Tex Registered Users

I'm great.  Thanks for asking.  Just putting one foot in front of the  other until the day I fall in a sixx foot deep hole.  Planning on that  being a loong ways off.

porciniak wrote:

The Dems are so clueless that they got Obama elected.  If I'd been queen I'd have handed the election to McCain & McBarbie for surely the Reubs deserve to be dealing with this mess they chiefly created.

You  know I love you, but that's crazy talk.  If I hire a pumber to fix my  toilet and he comes into my house and has water dripping out of the  lamps. well, I ain't going to hire him to fix it.  Frankly, we were in a  no-win in '08.  Nothing could fix the economy quickly enough for our  impatient electorate.

But McCain and Dumb Shit were not  and will never be the answer.  We did not need a Curmudgeon-in-Chief  and she has shown herself to be even sillier than we feared back then.  I  can only imagine where we'd be today but it all seems to end with "even  worse."

I think you've given me a new slogan.  You can't spell Republican without "rube."

markf Registered Users

Tex,

I also have noticed how the Republicans wage class warfare against everybody except the rich.  All of these flat tax proposals are a good example of this since the rich get a tax cut and everybody else pays more.  See http://money.cnn.com/2011/10/18/news/economy/cain_999_plan/index.htm?iid=HP_LN .  The most outrageous example of this was the Ryan plan that was passed by the House by all but 4 Republicans and no Democrats.  At least when Reagan and Dubya passed tax cuts, everybody's tax rate went down.  The Ryan plan only lowered the TOP tax rate.  How's that for class warfare.  Oh yes, the Ryan plan also converted Medicare from a system which guaranteed health care to one in which you are guaranteed to have to deal with an insurance company.  All so that they could give the wealthy a tax cut.  They no longer have any shame about this.

Mark

Tex Registered Users

Nope, no shame at all.  They have also given up trying to maintain even the appearance of consistency.  They just don't seem to care and spout out anything that will sway the room for the moment.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...