The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society - Fighting Blood Cancers
6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 21, 2011 6:22 PM by Teresabourgeois RSS

SSDI

Marva Registered Users
Currently Being Moderated

Hey, I know its friday night and I am the only one sitting at home thinking about cancer. But, has anyone with CML heard about the SSDI and if CML  savivior can get it. This question was posed to me and I was'nt sure. Thanks for the info on a friday night.

• Re: SSDI
    Teresabourgeois Registered Users

I am in the process of trying to get it!!  I filed in May and haven't gotten a decision yet. Here is the SSDI link that I have studied to help my case.  I was sent to a phycologist by the state to determine if I had a mood disorder/memory loss from the Sprycel.  I believe that I can not work like I once did due to the side effects.  I guess I'll see if SSDI agrees.  I've been told to expect a denial but to push forward with an attorney once I get denied.

http://www.ssa.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/13.00-NeoplasticDiseases-Malignant-Adult.htm

Marva Registered Users

Hey,

I spoke to yoy about the SSDI just checking back with you to see if you heard anything, someone told me that you should hear something within 90days. I am taking Tasigna;What meds are you on and what kind of Luekemia do you have. When where you diagnosed with your form of cancer? Thank you for your reply.

Hey,

Sorry for the delay.  I was denied but have already hired an attorney and filed the appeal.  The reason stated that "my issues keeping me from working will resolve once my treatment ends"  To bad they didn't bother to really read my paperwork to realize that my treatment never ends???  I guess this is the game.  They had already sent me to a physologist to determine if I had short term memory loss, which I did.  It's hard to do any job with memory loss right.  How is your deal going?  I'm not giving up.

Marva Registered Users

I have not heard anything back from SSDI as of yet. Why did they send you to a phycologist? I am surprise to here that because I have been seeing one for Major Depression. keep me informed if you dont mind. Ill let you know what is going on as things happen with me.

Sorry for the delay again.  They sent me to the PHYCO Dr. because I stated in my claim that I had short term memory loss and anxiety.  This Doctor did some testing and determined that I do have short term memory loss and a mood disorder.  Being that this is my 1st year with CML, I haven't been the most stable girl in the room.  I'm on Sprycel, what about you?  How is your claim going?  My attorney told me that it could take 1 yr.  I was denied because the letter stated that my disabilities will end once my treatment ends....Hello, I guess they didn't bother to research CML to know that our treatment never ends.  I read here on this site where some people have very few side effects.  I'm not one of them.  I also have Sarcoidious, and asthma.  My asthma has gotten much worse since Leukemia and Sprycel.  It's been difficult to treat because I can't use steriods. I also have an undefined autoimmune disease.  So, maybe it's all these things together keeping me from bouncing back.  Please tell me more about you and your situation.  Maybe we can help each other win this battle with SSDI.  My email is teresa.bourgeois@century21.com

Take care and I look forward to hearing from you.

felursus Registered Users

Hi, I'm a PT and I've also filled in the SSDI application for someone (not suffering from a blood cancer, however).  The questions all revolve around what activities you would normally do at work.  They are very specific: eg. what percentage of the time you spend sitting, kneeling, crawling, lifting heavy objects, etc.  Now if you are having chemo and are expected to spend a lot of time either as an in-patient, attending clinics, or having issues related to low blood counts and/or neutropenia there are "essay" spaces to explain - and clearly you can't be expected to go to an office on a regular basis.  You might also need to document why you are unable to work from home - if that's even possible in your job.  If you are suffering "chemo brain", which affects your ability to do your regular job, they will want medical documentation.  They ask about what meds you take and which MD prescribes them, and of course you have to give the names of all the MDs you are seeing.  I was amazed that the person for whom I wrote the application got it right away, because her problems were related to her back, (there are too many people out there complaining of back pain), and she's an opera singer - so we couldn't put percentages on how much time she spent on specific physical tasks, since they vary with the roles she happens to be singing.  You can fill in your part of the application on line - but be prepared to spend a lot of time on it.  You can have someone help you.  Good luck!

Karen

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...