The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society - Fighting Blood Cancers
9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 21, 2011 10:37 AM by pamd RSS

Getting my second DNA

Jarhead Registered Users
Currently Being Moderated

Well,

I decided to take the plunge...apparently all the cool kids are doing it

I was in remission with ALL for 2 years, had an isolated CNS relaps...bone marrow was clean.  After some long hard thoughs, we decicded to try to nip this in the bud and go for the stem cell.  They found me a 9/10 that they really liked at MDA and i really feel now is the time to do this thing....I just turned 40 and figure i am in the best shape i will be in....

I am kinda excited about it...does that seem weird?  Scheduled for transplant (day 0) on Sept 7th

GB

Jarhead

• Re: Getting my second DNA
    Tex Registered Users

Jarhead wrote:

I am kinda excited about it...does that seem weird?

Hell  yes, that seems weird!  But it's a weirdness that a lot of us share.   By the time mine came around, I was chomping at the bit to get it  going.

I had a 9/10, a guy from Corpus it turned out, and we've worked and played together very well.

Let us know how things are going.

Blessings

pamd Registered Users

Doesn't seem weird to me at all...i definitely had a "let's get this show on the road" attiude that, I swear, trumped the fear and apprehension. And, as you said, you are going into it in good shape and with a good attitude---which means a lot. Please keep us in the loop, we'll all be here for support!

Pam

tranier Registered Users

My 20 year old son is having his in a couple of weeks also.  During the month we spent from June 15 to July 16 at the Cleve Clinic for Blast Crisis CML I know that your excitement makes sense.  There were so many patients on the leukemia floor that because of advanced age and other health conditions were not candidates for transplant!  Prayers for a cure for you!

Jarhead Registered Users

Thanks for the support guys...

I have been amazed on the level of support....talked with my boss yesterday about it and he doesnt even want me to take any kind of leave..(i am lucky enought to be able to work remote for a GREAT computer company)...he just said work when you feel like it.  It is amazing what a load that took off my shoulders

i will defintly keep you all posted

GB

Jarhead

KyGuy Registered Users

Jarhead,

Best of luck to you.  It's a tough road but it sounds like you're ready to face it.

Working for a great company makes this road that much easier.  Years ago I worked for Chiquita.  When I went through my SCT, I was working for Brand X.  I heard more from my friends at Chiquita than I did from Brand X.  Now I'm back at Chiquita and have received soooo much support from them since I've relapsed.  I just got off a conference call to turn over my work and they expressed so much concern that it practically brought tears to my eyes.  I really feel guilty about leaving for a while but my boss told me I'm not allowed to send apology e-mails anymore.

Take care,

Kelly

Tex Registered Users

I don't want your job but I want your boss.  That sounds great.

pamd Registered Users

I'm with Tex, I want your boss, too!

Update us on how things are going when you can.

Pam

paralyzed Registered Users

Sorry for the relapse...Adult All is often tough to beat long term without SCT.

Thrilled about the doner. My wifes Dr asked her to invest a year toward her recovery from ALL after her SCT. Its been 16 months and all is mostly well. The road isnt easy every day but hitting the reset switch provides a new start.

You'll do great.

Jim

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...