The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society - Fighting Blood Cancers
9 Replies Latest reply: Jun 16, 2011 1:51 AM by tburkhardt RSS

Fifth Disease (parvo virus) concern in classroom - Is this really bad for our kids?

josefsdad Registered Users
Currently Being Moderated

Just need some help. A nurse from Josef's school called and said that someone in his class was sent home yesterday with Fifth disease (parvo virus). I guess they are wiping down desks now. My wife is going to pick him up anyway in about an hour as he has monthly clinic appt. But shoud we send him back tomorrow? I know it depends if other kids are sick as well but I guess my main question is how tough would this be on one of ou kids?

Thanks, Jon

• Re: Fifth Disease (parvo virus) concern in classroom - Is this really bad for our kids?
    efg5 Registered Users

Hi -

I can only speak of our experience but yes, parvo (Fifth Disease) is a concern for immunocompromised children.  My son had a relatively uneventful LTM, except when he contracted fifth disease.  His counts dropped, and his RBC dropped to the point of needing two transfusions.  (Fifth disease inhibits the body from producing RBCs.)

The difficulty is that most children do not show any symptoms while they are contagious.  The red cheeks actually come after the time that they can infect others.  In my opinion you should try to limit your child's exposure as much as possible, and then look for the usual signs of lethargy and paleness.  If that occurs I would have him tested asap.

• Re: Fifth Disease (parvo virus) concern in classroom - Is this really bad for our kids?

Thanks for the response. I actually found the other response you had given on a previous discussion here but most people responded about non-ck kids. Do they have fever or cough or anything? He was coughing most of the night but he actually does that fairly often. Luckily today is clinic day so we will get to hear what they say.....but it really depends it seems on which onc he sees.

Jon

Fontenrose Registered Users

He should wear a mask at the clinic. Fifth is very contagious.

ronitn Registered Users

Hi Jon,

Casey had ParvoVirus at the end of November, I have no idea where he got it, I assume it was school, but could be grocery store etc... He never had rash on his face, but his counts crashed, he needed transfusion. The Onc's couldn't figure it out. He was going to a port placement surgery so they decided to do a bone marrow biopsy looking for a relapse, I can't tell you how scary that was, at the end, it was Parvo virus, so everybody celebrated. After they get the virus, they are immune to it, they won't get it again. Besides the fact that is counts crashed, he just generally didn't feel good, maybe 99.2 fever, nothing major, that is probably why they were looking for a relapse.

Parvo Virus won't be treated, it just have to run it's course. The Onc. told me that it potentialy could be a problem and stay in the body for a long time, but after one month there were no trace of it anymore, so I guess we were lucky.

Casey recovered fast from it.

I hope that helps.

Ronit

tburkhardt Registered Users

Jon,

I'm pretty sure Justin had it back in December, although the test showed no active parvo--it did show that he had it some time in the past.  So, maybe these red cheeks were the tail end of it?  I don't think it did anything significant to his counts - but anemia was the concern.  I know Austin (Sandra - Austin's Mom) did have it also.

Justin Face 12-1-10.jpg

Well the oncologist (actually NP) was not too worried about it. Wonder how different they would act if it was their kid? So we will find out if any new kids are out from school tomorrow and then decide if we should let him stay there.  Wish I had been at clinic -  as this NP is the same one who told us that most kids don't even notice dex during LTM as dosage is low.....Yeah right.

Thanks to all who responded

Jon

Eleanora Registered Users

Good morning to all. My daughter, Mary Kate, was DX in 2001 and went OT in 2004. I still come by and read and respond sometimes because this board and the people on it were such a God send for me and my daughter. I just wanted to reply, because it just shows how differently our kids react to everything when they are on chemo.  Mary Kate was in LTM when she got Fifth's, and she had been really doing well - no problems really.  When she got fifths, her counts didn't drop or anything, but the itching was HORRIBLE for her. I know every kid is different, but she was rolling on the floor screaming and crying and saying "God, please help me!!!"  My other kids and I looked on in horror. I called her onc, and we took her to the emergency room, and she got a shot (I can't even remember what it was; maybe cortizone or benadryl) and a prescription, but I still had to put her in a tub and rub her with warm water for about an hour or two.    I don't want to alarm you, and she was fine after that, but just to let you know it can happen, and to look out for it.

It was kind of wierd, because it is one of the things that sticks in her mind as one of the "sickest" she ever was.   You all are such good parents and doing such a great job.   Mary Kate is 15 now and NO side effects of chemo, no problems at all!  I am so thankful that she is walking the earth.

www.caringbridge.org/tx/marykate

myquinn Registered Users

Oh Boy did the Parvo Virus do a number on our daughter.  Her ANC was very low for weeks, and  the rash took forever to go away.  At one point the oncologist had a biopsy of the rash thinking it was a relapse of the skin.  I did a lot of research on the subject, (due to fear of relapse) so I will attach the links.  It takes most kids less than a week to kick.  It took my cancer kid a month.  Good luck.  Hope all stays alright.

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=20112993

http://dermatology.cdlib.org/93/reviews/viral/scott.html

Rachel

http://dermatology.cdlib.org/93/reviews/viral/4.jpg

tburkhardt Registered Users

Bump for Aspeidel.  I'm sure you probably saw this thread but wanted to post just in case.  Justin's test came back negative when he had the red cheeks, but showed he did have it in the past (which makes me think the cheeks being red was the end of it, hence he didn't test positive at that time?)  I don't remember fevers accompanying though, or if his cheeks were hot.  They do get really hot though the week of his steroid pulse.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Incoming Links