Team In Training
7 Replies Latest reply: May 22, 2011 11:37 PM by sgaffin RSS

I'm in my 4th consecutive season - and some people are criticizing... advice?

estryker Registered Users
Currently Being Moderated

I'm currently in my fourth consecutive season with Team in Training - and my 3rd fundraising. This time around, I'm fundraising for Dublin and have set my goal at $10,000 - but I'm catching criticism from people that I'm using this to "go on a trip". I know I should just ignore it, but has anyone else experienced this? It's frustrating because it has nothing to do with that - TNT offers such a conduit for people to raise so much awareness and funds for LLS. I try to explain that to people but they still apparently think 5+ months of marathon training and asking people for money is an easy task....

Just seeing if anyone else out there has had the same issue!

• Re: I'm in my 4th consecutive season - and some people are criticizing... advice?
    WalkingCoach TNT Coach

Not to worry Erin.  Outsiders frequently don't understand what you have embarked on.  Try explaining that you have committed to spend significant time to both fundraise and train for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Your time committment is critical not only for raising funds but raising awareness of LLS cancers. You become the voice for patients. And don't forget to mention that 75% of the funds raise go directly to research (Canadian figure), which in turn has dramatically changed the long-term prognosis for patients.  If that doesn't sway them suggest that they join you in the challenge.  JJ

• Re: I'm in my 4th consecutive season - and some people are criticizing... advice?
    CrazyKen Registered Users

1st! Thank you for keeping up the fight! Doing 4 consecutive season is a gaul that people should just try to do. It is not easy and I thank you! When someone gives to crap about it. Ask them what would they do if their daughter, son, mother or father was living with this or worst if they died of it.

If that were the case they would hug you and say thank you!

God Bless your crazy friend Ken

tcatoe76 Registered Users

This is my first season and I am also training for Dublin.  And if anyone asks...I will confirm that going to an international event IS a big draw for me and then quickly ask them...what are YOU doing to make a difference?  This is NOT a free trip.  This is 6 months of training body/mind/soul AND fundraising for LLS for the priviledge of running for those that cannot do it for themselves.   I believe re-education to the nay-sayers is in order.   The simple fact:  you are still running for a purpose, no matter WHERE you are doing the running.

LLS states they use 76% of donor dollars towards the actual mission.  That is an incredibly high percentage of funds for a non profit organization to utilize.

I hope to see you in Dublin!

Teresa

run4funds Registered Users

Invite them to  a work out or an information meeting. Once they hear a team honoree speak they will feel silly for doubting and criticizing you!

sgilbert Registered Users

You are right....just egnore it. I have participated in 16 consecutive events and fundraising $10,000 a year. I'm in it until there is a cure. Stand up for what you believe in! GO TEAM!

KSmith26.2100Tri Registered Users

I'm getting ready to complete #19 and have just started working on my fund raising for #20.

I'm in it for the cure.  My Dad lost his battle, but I continue his fight with cancer.

I only ask people for a donation once a year.  For those that may have a problem - I don't care.  I just hope

no one close to them has to fight or worse, loses the battle to cancer.

Good luck, keep up the good work and most importantly....GO TEAM!

sgaffin Registered Users

Your actions are commendable and there jealousy has overtaken them. Yes you are going to Dublin and you have found a way to see a beautiful part of the world while helping out with a great cause. Their emotions are probably a mixture of jealousy and guilt. Jealous from the fact that you are going on this trip and guilt because their jealousy is a shallow emotion towards such a good cause. They imagine a shallow motive for you, to bring you back down to their level, so they don't feel guilty.

In other words, why aren't they getting off their asses and running for a cause? screw'em.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...